Should I be worried?

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
I've been working closely with a local breeder. In the past, we have said that the babies should be weaned within 12 weeks. They hatched early July. Everything I am reading as of late is point more toward 4,5, even 7 or 8 months before the bird is fully weaned. Should I be worried about the breeder's information? Or just take it day by day, week by week and see how the bird is doing? Today he said they'll be ready to come home in 6-8 weeks. I don't see them being fully fledged and weaned in 6 weeks.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Uggh, every time I upload a picture. Whether that be on a message, avatar, or signature it is always flipped some how.

itsjoyceduh

Jun 9, 2015
California
Parrots
Bella the BFA
hmm, I recently got a baby BFA but I think how fast they wean depends on the bird.. So even tho the breeder says 6 weeks it might not be 6 weeks. I hope that your breeder does not send home a bird who is not fully weaned.. The store where I got my BFA told me she will be ready in 8 weeks and this was in June.. My bfa is ready to go home and I will be picking her up this sunday, but she was able to go home earlier than expected.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I've been working closely with a local breeder. In the past, we have said that the babies should be weaned within 12 weeks. They hatched early July. Everything I am reading as of late is point more toward 4,5, even 7 or 8 months before the bird is fully weaned. Should I be worried about the breeder's information? Or just take it day by day, week by week and see how the bird is doing? Today he said they'll be ready to come home in 6-8 weeks. I don't see them being fully fledged and weaned in 6 weeks.

No, a B&G will NOT be weaned at 12 weeks. Some wean as early as 4 months, but that is most certainly not the norm. What you've been reading is correct.

If the picture you posted is a current one, your bird will most definitely NOT be weaned in 6-8 weeks.

14966d1438747100-should-i-worried-img_7830.jpg

Depending on how far this breeder is from you, can you go visit and see what practices she uses to feed? It would also be helpful if you could visit your baby often as he/she grows up (IF it's doable). :)

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
hmm, I recently got a baby BFA but I think how fast they wean depends on the bird.. So even tho the breeder says 6 weeks it might not be 6 weeks. I hope that your breeder does not send home a bird who is not fully weaned.. The store where I got my BFA told me she will be ready in 8 weeks and this was in June.. My bfa is ready to go home and I will be picking her up this sunday, but she was able to go home earlier than expected.

He promised, and contractually signed, a fully weaned and fledged bird. However, in some of his language yesterday it seems that he believes this bird will be weaned in 6 weeks. Excited for your new addition however!

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -

No, a B&G will NOT be weaned at 12 weeks. Some wean as early as 4 months, but that is most certainly not the norm. What you've been reading is correct.

If the picture you posted is a current one, your bird will most definitely NOT be weaned in 6-8 weeks.

14966d1438747100-should-i-worried-img_7830.jpg

Depending on how far this breeder is from you, can you go visit and see what practices she uses to feed? It would also be helpful if you could visit your baby often as he/she grows up (IF it's doable). :)

Thanks for your response! Yes, that picture is from yesterday. The breeder has been gracious toward me and has allowed me over every day that I ask. He has not denied a single visit, and even let's me socialize with his 4 other B&G and Scarlet macaw.

He promised and signed a contract that the bird I receive will be fully weaned before coming home with me.

I'm afraid that I'll be told the bird has been feeding himself all alone, and then take it home and it's not.

He did mention that I could take him or her home and hand feed myself for a couple of weeks if I'm comfortable. But to my understanding that's not fully weaned if I'm doing hand feeding 1-2 times a day.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
....He promised and signed a contract that the bird I receive will be fully weaned before coming home with me.

I'm afraid that I'll be told the bird has been feeding himself all alone, and then take it home and it's not.

He did mention that I could take him or her home and hand feed myself for a couple of weeks if I'm comfortable. But to my understanding that's not fully weaned if I'm doing hand feeding 1-2 times a day.

It's terrific that you can go visit every time you want to!! :)

Does the contract mention 'health', too? Do you have a certain amount of time to get baby checked by an avian vet?

And you're correct, if baby needs any kind of hand feeding, he is not weaned.

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
omagosh... look at that cute thing! I just want to kiss him! (you know, before his beak gets too big!)
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE FEET!

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
....HIt's terrific that you can go visit every time you want to!! :)

Does the contract mention 'health', too? Do you have a certain amount of time to get baby checked by an avian vet?

The fella has been very kind to my wife and I. He's even given us books to read, videos to watch, and being able to socialize with his other birds has been an eye opener to what I'm getting myself into lol.

The contract says that we are to both go to the avian vet of my choosing together, and the bird will receive a full check up. If everything goes well, I'll pay what's left of my balance and bring home birdy. If something isn't well then I can determine if I still want to bring home the baby, depending on what's going on.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
omagosh... look at that cute thing! I just want to kiss him! (you know, before his beak gets too big!)
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE FEET!

Cutest thing on the planet in my humble opinion. Lol!

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

NO WAY IN HELL WILL A BIG MAC BE FULLY WEANED AND FLEDGED IN 6 WEEKS... start to finish.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, please keep us posted! Your excitement is so very evident - and rightfully so. I remember like it was yesterday when I first laid eyes on my Niko (B&G) when he was just a tad little wee one, and it was love at first sight. My hubby can never know just how many miles I put on my car for nearly 4 months, driving back and forth visiting my baby. :D It was worth EVERY single toll plaza, LOL.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Did the breeder talk about if issues appear after you take your baby about any future weening assistance? I've never had a baby, but seeing comments here, will the breeder be available for help after you take your baby? congratulations on your little one, you're heart is going to be stolen if it hasn't been already.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
....HIt's terrific that you can go visit every time you want to!! :)

The fella has been very kind to my wife and I. He's even given us books to read, videos to watch, and being able to socialize with his other birds has been an eye opener to what I'm getting myself into lol.

The contract says that we are to both go to the avian vet of my choosing together, and the bird will receive a full check up. If everything goes well, I'll pay what's left of my balance and bring home birdy. If something isn't well then I can determine if I still want to bring home the baby, depending on what's going on.

Sounds fair.

Yeah. Big macs are a handful, but I couldn't live without either of mine.

Or my amazons.

Or my CAG, even though he can be a stinker at times.

Macs are the most "toddler-like" of the bunch. They are simply amazing. Big personality, goofy, cuddly, and every once in awhile, tantrum-ey...

Handle them confidently. Socialize them. Give them structure and boundaries, and they will thrive. Those are the keys to raising a big mac.

And there is no more loving creature to be had than a mush mac...

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I don't have anything to add to the great advice and information you've been given so far...

Very excited for you - keep us posted on your new baby's progress!

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Did the breeder talk about if issues appear after you take your baby about any future weening assistance? I've never had a baby, but seeing comments here, will the breeder be available for help after you take your baby? congratulations on your little one, you're heart is going to be stolen if it hasn't been already.

He's offered to be a lifelong helper to my wife and I. Which was very considerate. And free boarding if we go out of town and are unable to take the bird with us.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Yes, please keep us posted! Your excitement is so very evident - and rightfully so. I remember like it was yesterday when I first laid eyes on my Niko (B&G) when he was just a tad little wee one, and it was love at first sight. My hubby can never know just how many miles I put on my car for nearly 4 months, driving back and forth visiting my baby. :D It was worth EVERY single toll plaza, LOL.

If I could scream and smile through the screen of iMac to show my my excitement - I would lol. I am going to see the baby tomorrow morning. I will also be socializing with a rescue macaw he recently adopted. He felt it would be good training for me lol. I'll be sure to take pictures if I survive.

Most Reactions

Latest posts