Should I change their names back?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Ok my partner just went and picked up the pair of Cockatiels from our friend. So far we think they're abandoning their eggs from the stress of the move which is a shame since they were hatching soon. We do feel they know their momma have passed. To us, animals always know......Their previous names were Nacho & Selene, but when she took over she renamed them Romeo & Juliet. I don't really like the new names but should I be respectful and keep their names?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
That's a tough one I guess. Is the name really that important to you/their previous owner? I mean if it meant so much for her to have them as R&J then I'd stick with that, but if if she just thought it was kinda cool and didn't mean too much to her (names, not the birds!) then I think as you'll be keeping them then returning to their previous names might be best.

I really wanna change Merlin's name but everyone knows him as that now and it just doesn't seem right to change it after 9 months. hmm.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Well, their previous owners passed...husband passed last year and she passed this past weekend. Their daughter (our friend) asked me to take the birds since they came from me to begin with in 2010. I'll post a pic of them when I get home....

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Unless they know & respond to their names, they don't care what you call them. So, their names don't really matter. Call them whatever you want. If they do know their names, then it's best to keep the names.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
That is difficult, poor little guys have had a lot of change and loss. How long did they have the original names? I would change the names back if the name change was recent. It might be a comfort to hear their real given names. I tried to change my Scarlets name...Scarlet for a Scalret macaw.....not very creative.. but he was so hard to get close to when I first brought him home. I started calling him Scarlet and he was more receptive......Scarlet it is :)

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I really dont think they will mind what you call them as long as they are loved and taken care of :)

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
All I can say is OMG....I know she told me they don't live in there full time and let out to roam freely as they please but they're in a dog kennel and bad food choice with a ton of stuffs Cockatiels do not eat, I wonder how they survive this long, been about two years since she took them. No wonder the babies struggle to survive....

2012-03-21_21-50-31_515.jpg

2012-03-21_21-58-23_847.jpg

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
OMG !! How sad . Thank goodness you are taking them MikeyTN !
Seeing their living conditions , it would be a good thing to change their names.
They will begin a new life with new names. Change is good :)
Good luck with them MikeyTN , they are lucky to have you :)

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
When there isn't enough food to go around, they kill off the youngsters because they need food to keep themselves alive. Oh my goodness....

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Poor babies! I'm glad you're taking them back!

I changed Puck's name (from Bucky) when I got him, but it was more because I didn't care for the old name.

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
I am happy you took them! I dont want to be disrespectful to the previous owner...but i would be embarassed to hand over a "cage" in that condition. Poor birds.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Looks to me like it's good you got them back and will be able to improve their living conditions. I'm sure they were loved, and it's just ignorance on the part of your friend.

I feel the same on names as Bill. If the animal knows it, I keep it even if I don't care for it (although I would change it if it were demeaning or something). If they don't know it, I figure it doesn't matter. I think I did have the opportunity to change Pete's name, which I don't care for much, but I was thinking, at 28 years old, he had to know it. Well, I don't think he did, but now he knows he is "Petey".

I did change the name of a miniature horse. It was a male horse named "Belle". I said, um, no. And changed it to Rusty. I may change the spelling of Merlin's name since she is a girl. Spiritbird came up with a much more feminine spelling that I like. The vet and pharmacy have it under the old spelling though, so I may need to remember that next time we have to call in Celebrex.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
We're calling them Romeo & Juliet for now....can't change their cage yet until I know for sure of they're abandoning their eggs or wait until the babies hatch and old enough to be removed then move them into their new cage. They're quite healthy overall....

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm still handfeeding 2 of their babies from their last batch...trying to wean them....

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
19 in count with the 2 babies... Romeo & Juliet weren't planned....I've always knew if something were to happen to her I would have to take over but she died suddenly from a heart attack....

Most Reactions

Latest posts