Should I Get a New Cage or Not?

anxioustimes

Oct 8, 2014
Oklahoma
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw, Rio
When I rehomed Rio, he came with his cage and all. He was not kept in his cage often as there was ALWAYS someone home with him, however, that is not the case now. His cage is large, it's big enough when the bottom is out of it I can stand in it, however, I worry it's not big enough. When we are home he is out of his cage, as soon as anyone walks in the door we take him out, however, we both work full time so he is in his cage at least 8 hours during the day and then when we sleep at night..... We don't have room for a much bigger cage, however, I've found one on craigslist that someone has listed and I'm considering buying it, however, I have NO IDEA where I would put it.... I want the best for him but was curious if you guys think he is ok in his current cage or if you think he does need another....

He has one like this
Stainless Steel Bird Cage - 36 in. x 28 in. x 66 in.

I've found this one
Silverado Macaw Dometop Cage - 46 in x 36 in x 78 in

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I will let macaw owners comment on the cages you're looking at (I know those big beaks have special requirements regarding cage durability). Of course, in general it's ALWAYS better to have a bigger cage!

As someone who at one time had to leave our bird at home while we both worked all day, the most important (IMO) thing is to be sure he has lots of activities. Toy rotation is much more important and should be done more frequently when you're not home a lot. We rotated out toys about 2-3 times a week and made sure his foraging/puzzle toys were filled with treats every morning (and you don't need to get rid of toys in good condition or buy new toys that much! Just swap them out with different ones to change things up;)). I felt bad leaving Kiwi, but we made sure he had lots of things to fill his time until we got home! He did just fine.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I just wanted to say hi and Nice Cages. I would love either one of them. Gus also came with a cage that I will have to replace as soon as I can afford it I actually never thought of looking at Craiglist for one

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
PB: Green Cheek Conure (hatched 2009);
Master Beaker: B&G macaw (hatched Aug. 2014)
Careful with the Silverado. I just bought one and had to request a refund due to rust. The quality was not quite what I hoped, even considering the price. There are pictures of the rust and very thin paint job here: The Lessons of Master Beaker: Silverado Cage or Bust

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Careful with the Silverado. I just bought one and had to request a refund due to rust. The quality was not quite what I hoped, even considering the price. There are pictures of the rust and very thin paint job here: The Lessons of Master Beaker: Silverado Cage or Bust

All powder-coat cages will rust in time (though they shouldn't arrive rusted brand new!:eek:). The metal underneath is iron, and as the bird uses the cage, and the cage is cleaned, the coating flakes, moisture gets in and it rusts. Kiwi's current cage was pristine when we got it. After about 4 years, it is rusting and the coating on the tray is bubbling and a huge chunk is about to peel off (thankfully it's where he can't reach under the liner). This is apparently just an inherent trait of these types of cages, and you can expect to replace them every so often.

If you can afford one GO STAINLESS! They will never rust if you get a quality one! Very expensive up front (like jaw-dropping expensive:53::32:) but in the long run, you'll end up spending less buying a stainless cage that will last as long as your bird than you would have replacing cages every 5/6/7 years for the next 30/40/50 years... My parents amazons have their original stainless cages from 40 years ago. The cages are still shiny! That's why we've been trying to save to get Kiwi a stainless cage before his old current becomes absolutely necessary to replace safety-wise... Don't feel bad though if you stick with powder coated. You can look at it as you can choose a new color and cage style every couple years and Rio will get to explore a whole new environment:)

Last edited:

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Red-Headed Amazon - Melon,
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Budgies - Mickey and Pluto

All powder-coat cages will rust in time (though they shouldn't arrive rusted brand new!:eek:). The metal underneath is iron, and as the bird uses the cage, and the cage is cleaned, the coating flakes, moisture gets in and it rusts. Kiwi's current cage was pristine when we got it. After about 4 years, it is rusting and the coating on the tray is bubbling and a huge chunk is about to peel off (thankfully it's where he can't reach under the liner). This is apparently just an inherent trait of these types of cages, and you can expect to replace them every so often.

If you can afford one GO STAINLESS! They will never rust if you get a quality one! Very expensive up front (like jaw-dropping expensive:53::32:) but in the long run, you'll end up spending less buying a stainless cage that will last as long as your bird than you would have replacing cages every 5/6/7 years for the next 30/40/50 years... My parents amazons have their original stainless cages from 40 years ago. The cages are still shiny! That's why we've been trying to save to get Kiwi a stainless cage before his old current becomes absolutely necessary to replace safety-wise... Don't feel bad though if you stick with powder coated. You can look at it as you can choose a new color and cage style every couple years and Rio will get to explore a whole new environment:)

I wanna have a stainless steel cage too but it's too expensive.. 4 digits!!! ><

but I'm really worried about my current wrough iron with powder coating looking cage. I'm concerned that it has lead in it. emailed the vet, waiting for reply. but I'm seeing her this Saturday too. will ask. thinking to send pieces to the lab for testing..

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The first one is too small the other one is fine. 40 by 30 is generally the smallest you want to go for a blue and gold unless he spends the majority of his time out of the cage. The play top ones for a macaw suck in my opinion and waste space that could be used for him while he is caged. Go with a dometop. I have no idea about the brand of the second one all my cages are AE and Kings. I would probably have all Kings if they made the same kind of stacker cages that AE makes.

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Nemo's cage is the size of the larger. Don't know squat about brands but do know there are places that can re-coat them...even in my small town. More space is always better if they can't be a free bird most of the day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts