Should I get a Sunny?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yes researching and taking an impartial look at the ups and downs of it are all very welcome mature responses. I'd agree on seeing a scream sesh in person before making the final decision. I'm fairly okay with the videos of Sun's and bigger birds, even at the loud volumes. But in person oh my god! Especially the sun I met who could go stand his ground against an Umbrella Too in a shouting match.

And hey if parental units aren't on board after you go meet in person college isn't exactly that long and you can get one after when you don't have to worry about that

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Pita (Goffins Cockatoo) Misha, Cass and Sammy,Crowley and Ruby(Budgies),Tango the Mango(Sun Conure)
yes researching and taking an impartial look at the ups and downs of it are all very welcome mature responses. I'd agree on seeing a scream sesh in person before making the final decision. I'm fairly okay with the videos of Sun's and bigger birds, even at the loud volumes. But in person oh my god! Especially the sun I met who could go stand his ground against an Umbrella Too in a shouting match.

And hey if parental units aren't on board after you go meet in person college isn't exactly that long and you can get one after when you don't have to worry about that

Thank you! Unfortunatly I can't think of anywhere that I could meet a Sunny in person but I will keep looking.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us

Thank you! Unfortunatly I can't think of anywhere that I could meet a Sunny in person but I will keep looking.

bird fairs are always good, where I met a sun and if you're US based pet stores should start having suns in at the moment so you can meet them there or even talk to a breeder and ask if you can meet them without being committed yet, the breeders that say yes to that are the ones you want because they care about that bird's and your future together

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Pita (Goffins Cockatoo) Misha, Cass and Sammy,Crowley and Ruby(Budgies),Tango the Mango(Sun Conure)
bird fairs are always good, where I met a sun and if you're US based pet stores should start having suns in at the moment so you can meet them there or even talk to a breeder and ask if you can meet them without being committed yet, the breeders that say yes to that are the ones you want because they care about that bird's and your future together

I think that there is a all animal expo soon that isnt too far from me. The only pet stores that would have Sunnys is a Petsmart near me.

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Quick question. I have been trying to plan out a diet ahead of time so that I might be somewhat orginized. I know they need Pellets, Veggies and Fruits(and a little bit of seeds/nuts?). I was wondering how many Veggies/fruits I should have in each mix? I was originally thinking two veggies and two fruits. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense as I am kind of typing my thoughts as they come.
-Thanks!

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Quick question. I have been trying to plan out a diet ahead of time so that I might be somewhat orginized. I know they need Pellets, Veggies and Fruits(and a little bit of seeds/nuts?). I was wondering how many Veggies/fruits I should have in each mix? I was originally thinking two veggies and two fruits. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense as I am kind of typing my thoughts as they come.
-Thanks!

Know that there is no one right way to feed a bird. But a diet with a pellet base and the bulk being fresh fruits and veggies is ideal. Go easy on the fruit -- it is loaded with sugar. 2 fruits and 2 veggies is a little weak, there is SO much they can eat and enjoy that it would be better to serve a new variety whenever you can. Here's what I currently feed my two (breeding) cockatiels..

1. Base dry diet of Zupreem and Roudybush pellets mixed with a bit of seed mix
2. Sprouts - an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and so nutritious - I use Volkman's cockatiel seen mix and basically you soak the seeds in a bowl until they germinate and sprout(takes a couple days), and then bon appetit ready to serve.
3. CHOP! - A mix of fruits and veggies. I make a batch big enough to last me several weeks and then freeze what I don't need now in bags - My current mix includes: peas, corn, carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper! They love it!

Here is a more detailed description of what I feed them (scroll down a little)

There are SO many ways to feed our parrots, the key is to find something that works for both you and your parrot. With more variety of veggies you will likely find one that your bird really enjoys.

Last edited:
OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
-Thanks!

Know that there is no one right way to feed a bird. But a diet with a pellet base and the bulk being fresh fruits and veggies is ideal. Go easy on the fruit -- it is loaded with sugar. 2 fruits and 2 veggies is a little weak, there is SO much they can eat and enjoy that it would be better to serve a new variety whenever you can. Here's what I currently feed my two (breeding) cockatiels..

1. Base dry diet of Zupreem and Roudybush pellets mixed with a bit of seed mix
2. Sprouts - an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and so nutritious - I use Volkman's cockatiel seen mix and basically you soak the seeds in a bowl until they germinate and sprout(takes a couple days), and then bon appetit ready to serve.
3. CHOP! - A mix of fruits and veggies. I make a batch big enough to last me several weeks and then freeze what I don't need now in bags - My current mix includes: peas, corn, carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper! They love it!

Here is a more detailed description of what I feed them (scroll down a little)

There are SO many ways to feed our parrots, the key is to find something that works for both you and your parrot. With more variety of veggies you will likely find one that your bird really enjoys.
Oh thank you! The mix you are feeding sounds alot better than just two veggies. How many fruits should I feed? I know I'm not supposed to feed many but I'm not sure exactly how many that means. I've read mango is really good, though that doesn't mean the bird will like it.:rolleyes:
On an unrelated note my budgies just got their new cage in today! I paid for it and I think it's worth the money! It's super empty right now but I have more toys coming. Will add pictures soon.

Last edited:
OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Last edited:

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I think I have the same cage for Ducky! Is it the Prevue Hendryx Wrought Iron Flight Cage? A wonderful upgrade for your beautiful budgies!
Please be sure to replace the dowels with natural branches and rope perches, and add more toys.

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
I think I have the same cage for Ducky! Is it the Prevue Hendryx Wrought Iron Flight Cage? A wonderful upgrade for your beautiful budgies!
Please be sure to replace the dowels with natural branches and rope perches, and add more toys.

Yep, the XL size! Super easy to out together and a giant cage for a great price! I'll definitely get on replacing those perches. My budgies are less hands on pets than I would like since they were originally bought from a pet store but I've recently started working more with them to try and make them a little tamer. Cass is pretty comfortable with stepping up but Misha is a little more shy.

https://ibb.co/kJ1SUn
Slightly less blurry Cass pic

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Sweet budgies! And a very nice cage for them...nicely done!

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Beautiful budgies and a phenomenal cage!

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
https://ibb.co/cQDKaS
https://ibb.co/jyy7Un
https://ibb.co/cSXCvS
Pictures of the cage and the budgies :D The only reason it is so empty is because the cage they were in was much smaller and I couldn't fit as many large toys in.
Pictures are in order of Cass, Cage and Misha.

Love the cage!! More like a budgie mansion

As far as feeding fruits, serve around 5-6 veggies per 1 fruit. Yes you can use mango but it is VERY WET and mushy lol the last time I put mango in my chop batch it made it mushy but if you serve fresh may be better. Banana, apple, pears, peach, strawberry, any berry really is okay, etc.

Just stay away from: onion, garlic, avocado, rhubarb, chocolate as these are toxic to parrots.

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
https://ibb.co/cQDKaS
https://ibb.co/jyy7Un
https://ibb.co/cSXCvS
Pictures of the cage and the budgies :D The only reason it is so empty is because the cage they were in was much smaller and I couldn't fit as many large toys in.
Pictures are in order of Cass, Cage and Misha.

Love the cage!! More like a budgie mansion

As far as feeding fruits, serve around 5-6 veggies per 1 fruit. Yes you can use mango but it is VERY WET and mushy lol the last time I put mango in my chop batch it made it mushy but if you serve fresh may be better. Banana, apple, pears, peach, strawberry, any berry really is okay, etc.

Just stay away from: onion, garlic, avocado, rhubarb, chocolate as these are toxic to parrots.

Okay! So I can do a veggie mix (Chop) and rotate out fruits?
The budgies look so tiny in the cage! I also just realized that the room(My bedroom) is where the birds are/ will be has a sloped ceiling and that slightly sloped and I might need to find a cage without a playstand.

Last edited:
OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Can anyone tell me if there are any diffrences between Sunnny's and Green cheeks? I know that GCC's are MUCH quieter and obviously the color diffrence but are there any others?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
There is the obvious size difference, with suns being larger. Not sure if you were also looking for temperament differences as well? I would say this with the caveat that each bird is unique and this is just my experience with my birds. With my crew (2 suns, 1 GCC), my GCC is more independent than either of my suns. My suns are both velcro birds, and my GCC likes to do things on his own more than them. My GCC also seems to be more “busy” and active than my suns. When my three are out - my GCC will do his own thing and just fly over to visit me regularly. My suns both want to be on me or cuddling constantly when they are out. I have play centers all over the house, but their preference is to be on me. My suns both don’t really play with toys - they’re mostly into chew and shred. My GCC plays with enthusiasm, chases things and beats up his bells. My suns were not raised together and don’t particularly like each other, but seem to have these traits in common.

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots

OP
BirdGeeks

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts