Should I get some authorities involved?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Okay, haven't been on in a while as I'm in he middle of moving houses atm, so won't have regular internet access until Tuesday.

There's a pet store near my new house that has a b&g macaw in it (Alex). The thing is, this macaw is being neglected. I don't care what rubbish excuse the shop keepers are coming out with, claws arn't trimmed, hasn't got decent perches, toys more suited for senegal sized parrots, only water no food (fair nuff might be only x times of day) he doesn't appear to have any so******ation with people unless they're walking past his cage in the store, he knows how to say "hello alex" "bye bye alex" but he generally just lunges for people when they come near. The bottom of the cage is moderately messy, but he keeps trying to forage for food, and he has no foraging toys or ANYTHING.

I wan't to get someone like the rspca involved as it's blatent neglect, but as they've got him with food water and shelter, I don't think they'd do anything :(

I asked the woman at the desk about Alex and just mentioned that I noticed his nails were getting a bit long, she came out with some crap that they get trimmed regularly, when 2 weeks before they were just as bad and nothing had been done about it... I'll be going in again and checking him out, and although it says no photos, I'll be taking some sneaky pics (no flash photography or anything big as I don't want to blow my cover or frighten poor Alex).

Suggestions/advice? I'd take him if I could because he is NOT being looked after properly!

lexilu

Sep 2, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Bob and Tom my parakeets
I have had this problem with horses too. They have to have food and water and shelter from the prevailing winds but good God there is more to it than that.

Sounds like the bird is neglected. You could try the humane society but they will not intervene unless the bird is starving or something really bad.

You might want to try a bird rescue and maybe they would rescue him and take him off the stores hands so to speak. I know of horse rescues that step up and approach neglect cases and convince the owners to give them the animals. Try a bird rescue if you can, it might be your best option. Good luck.

freya

Sep 6, 2011
Parrots
Basil CAG
Good luck with that but a lot of the time the RSPCA say as long as an animal has adequate shelter and food they cant do anything, its very frustrating..

If a letter to the shop involved doesnt help have you thought about writing a bit to the local rag see if they will run with a sob story piece ..Sometimes bad publicity works wonders..

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
that poor bird! i'd be surprised if it does much trade, simply i won't shop anywhere that can display a neglected anything!

report them, but no idea who to, though the rspca is best choice as they will work to ensure the owners keep the bird in better conditions,

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I have had this problem with horses too. They have to have food and water and shelter from the prevailing winds but good God there is more to it than that.

Sounds like the bird is neglected. You could try the humane society but they will not intervene unless the bird is starving or something really bad.

You might want to try a bird rescue and maybe they would rescue him and take him off the stores hands so to speak. I know of horse rescues that step up and approach neglect cases and convince the owners to give them the animals. Try a bird rescue if you can, it might be your best option. Good luck.

In the UK we don't have many rescue centers for birds, it's mainly cat/dog orientated. I guess I'll try and scout out one asap. I will get some sneaky snaps and just explain how I approached someone about his nails and stuff so it's not like they've not been 'advised'. I just hate going in there and seeing him like that, I stand there and chat with him for a bit and he comes out of his shell a fair bit and just says hello and comes over and doesn't lunge at me. He needs a proper home, poor bugger. :(

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
there is bird line, but i think they just take birds in rather then rescue them, but if the rspca decide to remove the bird i think thats where it'll end up

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I think I might just post a ton of stuff to the store about adequet parrot care and stuff. The problem is that it has the BASIC BASIC conditions to live in and therefore isn't an 'at risk' animal. But it's the same as comparing 'looking after my child' by shoving it in a room with one toy and a bottle of water and nothing else to do. Not clipping her toenails or nails, and not stimulating the kids learning or anything.

HORRIBLE PEOPLE. I won't be shopping there anyway, there's another store I can go to for any of my pets needs. :(

I just don't think they care enough about Alex. I'm pretty sure he isn't "taken home at night" for some family time. He always looks so sad foraging on the floor. :(

MominNC

Sep 2, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet (parrot)
hey see if the store has a website listing, find as many of their listings in searches you can and start writing up negative reviews. Detail the neglectful abuse just like you have in this article. The more bad publicity the more they will start caring as it affects their traffic flow and bottom line. Oh and do mention their lack of service is appalling with absolutely zero consideration for shoppers opinions and the severe lack of hospitality. That tends to make the management raise a brow to start investigation.

PS: Be sure to get the store clerks name you dealt with. Also note the times of day you've visited. Then you can send a formal letter to store manager, or corporate office. If the UK has a form of registered -- to sign for on receipt of mail -- Send a complaint letter that way so you get a paper back that the letter was received. A paper trail always proves your case when a complaint takes that next step. I used to be a retail store manager complaints and bad reviews I took care of quick.

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
This is what I do.....I buy the bird and then find him a wonderful home!:)

I bought a neglected wild caught 20 year-old CAG for $600. Took me 1 year to find him the best home with other Greys housed in outside flights in sunny Arizona with the best people! Re-homed him (for free I want to add, compared to these scums who want their buck back!) and keep in touch to check on his happiness.

Just did the same with a Sun Conure.......want to tame her then find her a great home1 :)

Cost me a bunch but makes me feel like a million!!! I want to do 1 free deed (doesn't bring you anything monetary) per month! I try and do that! Let it be with birds or people. 1 PER MONTH. You should try it!!! :)

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
This is what I do.....I buy the bird and then find him a wonderful home!:)

I bought a neglected wild caught 20 year-old CAG for $600. Took me 1 year to find him the best home with other Greys housed in outside flights in sunny Arizona with the best people! Re-homed him (for free I want to add, compared to these scums who want their buck back!) and keep in touch to check on his happiness.

Just did the same with a Sun Conure.......want to tame her then find her a great home1 :)

Cost me a bunch but makes me feel like a million!!! I want to do 1 free deed (doesn't bring you anything monetary) per month! I try and do that! Let it be with birds or people. 1 PER MONTH. You should try it!!! :)

Not to be negative here but I do have to say, while you are doing a great thing for those individual birds you are helping find loving homes, you are only giving money to these unethical pet store owners so they can turn around and buy another bird to sell and neglect in the meantime. I think completely boycotting stores like this is the way to go, I know many pet store owners that will not deal with big birds simply because they sit in the store for so long and they aren't exactly cheap to care for properly. If everyone stopped supporting these types of establishments that treat their animals poorly they would have no reason to keep buying birds and repeating the cycle. There are plenty of good stores out there, supporting them is really important.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I also try to rescue, rehab and rehome... but only when I'm almost 95% certain that the bird will not find a better home without me.

Saw the shutters down on the shop today (Sunday after closing time) and I'm almost certain the macaw isn't taken home :(. I guess I might pop in tomorrow and see how Alex is doing.

Sneaky pictures, dates and times of when I've spoken to the people in the store/seen his condition and anon letters suggesting how better to care for their parrot. :/ I'll get to it when I can!

Most Reactions