Food Advice

TakRail

Dec 27, 2009
Sacramento
Parrots
Congo African Grey & B&G Macaw
I'm looking for advice on the best food to get for the constant-in-the-food-bowl food.

I normally cook our birds breakfast and give fruits and veggy's for lunch and they usually want to share my dinner. But with the food that we buy and put in there bowls they only eat about a 10th of it and the rest goes to waste. I've tried many different types of food but it seems that they will just eat what they like and the rest either get's thrown on the floor by them or thrown away by me.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
If you are referring to pellets my vet said that the best pellets are the brand the bird will eat. Bob likes Roudybush maintenance pellets: Roudybush Daily Maintenance Diet - Food - Bird - PetSmart.

My vet had two other peices of advice. Get small bags of pellets till you find one your bird likes. And to serve the pellets in a seperate dish, but put a few in with his other food.

OP
TakRail

TakRail

Dec 27, 2009
Sacramento
Parrots
Both my birds don't really care for Roudybush.

We recently got them this.. Grreat Choice® Parrot Formula Bird Food - Food - Bird - PetSmart. they like it pretty good but i still end up throwing out most of it. We've got them this, All Living Things&#153 Parrot Daily Diet - Food - Bird - PetSmart, many times but we still throw out a bunch.

Come to think about it they mostly eat the seeds and a bit of the other stuff.

I don't mind spending good money on whatever food they will eat; but to throw out at least half the food because they don't eat it seems redundant to me.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Some time bird has to learn eating new food by only have this food it can take 2-3 days before they was it

newtobirds

Jun 4, 2011
My bird likes variety. I mix up Harrisons, Roudybush, and TOPS. I then add a sprinkle of seeds and a nutriberry or two. Virtually no waste. I feed home-cooked and fresh foods twice a day also.

OP
TakRail

TakRail

Dec 27, 2009
Sacramento
Parrots
I'm starting to think that it would be best to start just buying different ingredients and start making my own mix.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I just started Puck on Harrison's High Potency, and he seems to like it. I originally got a sample of the "course" size ones (big) and he likes to dunk while eating and then drop most of it in his water, so when I got a bag I got the "fine" size (smaller, but not smallest), and so far he seems to munch a larger percentage of them. I like it because it's organic, and I'm trying to feed him as much organic food as is practical.

I've been leaving pellets in his cage all the time, and then supplementing with (mostly) organic fruit, and sharing any parrot-safe meals I have with him.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
put less in the cage an i make nut forage even for pellets lol zu preem at the moment, i have reduced food i give her out of cage, she shares dinner with us, so i know she has had enough before bed

but might revert back to harrisons, although she wasn't eating loads of them, there was less waste, i tried following the recomendation of 80% pellet an 20% rest and found it to strict a diet for nut, an more importantly, she threw out that many pellets, so i just keep adjesting what she has toensure her diet is balanced and varied

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
angel has been in such a bad mood the last week, i've been giving her pellets. well this morning i gave her a dish of her tidymix diet and voila....a happy macaw!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
angel has been in such a bad mood the last week, i've been giving her pellets. well this morning i gave her a dish of her tidymix diet and voila....a happy macaw!

lol like us, food is important and amazin how they get us to there way of thinkin!!

Most Reactions