sick baby alexandrine.. urgent help needed

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
As tempting as it is I’m
Not going to pause to rant about how FURIOUS I am that breeders still sell unweaned babies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is from Pakistan ! So you could still rant and more Furiously because these are probably wild caught fledglings and possibly birds that have been smuggled from across the border in India because Alexandrine Parakeets have been nearly wiped out in Pakistan and also in many parts of India.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I’ll also say this; I’m not pulling my suggestions out of thin air; I’m a breeder who has spent thousands of hours researching and learning how to keep baby birds alive, and a Indian Ringnecks, a cousin of Alexandrines, are my specialty. I’ve USED the advice I’m giving.

I wouldn’t bother with trying to contact your breeder; sorry to be harsh but anyone cruel enough or ignorant enough to sell you a 1 month old chick in the first place isn’t going to be able to help you.

I'm glad you were able to respond so quickly. In lieu of proper vet support where they are, you're advice should prove invaluable!

To the OP- Listen to her! She knows what she's talking about when it comes to baby birds and would be who I'd turn to if I somehow ended up in a situation like yours with a sick/dying baby bird an no vet care locally. Reputable breeders are hard to find and you have one right here advising. I hope your baby pulls through!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
As tempting as it is I’m

Not going to pause to rant about how FURIOUS I am that breeders still sell unweaned babies!

He is from Pakistan ! So you could still rant and more Furiously because these are probably wild caught fledglings and possibly birds that have been smuggled from across the border in India because Alexandrine Parakeets have been nearly wiped out in Pakistan and also in many parts of India.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

UGH! That makes this even harder. But I’m not so angry with the new owner but rather the person who sold the bird. Either way hopefully the OP is reading still and taking the right steps.

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
I've had him for 13 days. I use spoon for feeding Kaytee exact high fat formula. He is resisting feeding with spoon now and I have no experience feeding with syringe. I know the method but I am afraid I might mess up.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I've had him for 13 days. I use spoon for feeding Kaytee exact high fat formula. He is resisting feeding with spoon now and I have no experience feeding with syringe. I know the method but I am afraid I might mess up.

And the temperature of the brooder, and temperature and frequency of the feedings?

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
Guys! illegal trade is the norm here. As much as it breaks my heart seeing those poor babies without any basic care etc, there isn't much I could do about it. Except maybe pull one.. just one baby bird out of that misery and adopt him.. so that's why I bought him and brought him home.. you definitely reserve your opinion in that regard but I am trying my best. Its not like I haven't done my research. I have.. and I ak following most protocols.. just wasn't prepared for illness I suppose.. :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I’m
Not at all attacking you for a bird trade that you cannot control; I’m focused on saving your bird’s life.

What is the temperature of the brooder and what is the temperature and frequency of the feedings?

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018

And the temperature of the brooder, and temperature and frequency of the feedings?

Feed thrice daily.. 7:30 AM.. 2 PM.. 9 PM

worked out fine till now.. He was healthy and growing fast..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

Feed thrice daily.. 7:30 AM.. 2 PM.. 9 PM

worked out fine till now.. He was healthy and growing fast..

How much per feeding? What was his weight when you got him and what is his weight now?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Ok you need to get a gram scale and begin weighing him at least daily; failure to gain weight is often the first sign of illness in that age of baby.

What temperatures formula and brooder?

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
What do I do next? Please guide.. I really appreciate how you guys are there to help..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
You need to tell us the temperature of the formula and brooder. That information is vital and will help me narrow down the problem.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Just saying, if you aren't using a brooder or don't know temps of the formula etc... just say so. You aren't a breeder or hand feeder and it sounds like you had the best intentions when you took this baby on. No one here will judge you for lack of knowledge/inexperience but may be able to give better advice and parameters for healthy feeding and development if you're up front about what you do and don't know:)

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
I keep him in a box apl covered and tucked.. Weather here is quite hot so yeah.. keep him out of wind etc.. Also I don't check the temp of formula.. never did.. just estimate when its slightly warm and go ahead with the feeding.. Thts hiw most breeders here do it anyway..

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
Room temperature around here these days is like 35 C already.. proper summer hasn't even started yet.. so temp is ok I think..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Ok, bingo, problem discovered!

Your next steps are perfectly clear :)

1) get a thermometer for your formula. Here it would be called a “confection thermometer” what you are looking for is a thermometer made to test liquids. Your formula NEEDS to be between 40 and 43.3 degrees Celsius. Any cooler and the formula won’t digest properly and can actually spoil in the digestive tract and poison your baby. Any warmer and you risk dangerous burns. The “breeders” who say you don’t need a thermometer aren’t telling you how many of their babies are dying.

2) Get a thermometer for measuring room temperature and find a means of STABILIZING the temperature in the box (and I would move him to a glass container with bedding if possible, much easier to stabilize the temp). You probably need to keep him at about 36.9 degrees Celsius, but no less than 36.1 degrees and no more than 37.8 degrees. If he is too cool his body cannot function properly and cannot absorb nutrients properly. If he is too warm he can overheat and dehydrate.

3)Once you have the temperatures sorted out he will almost certainly be eager to eat! Add 2 drops of apple cider vinegar to his formula for 5 days.

If you do all of this in time, he will probably pull through, but time is VERY SHORT! You likely have only a few hours, maybe less, before he dies if you can’t get this sorted.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
You really do need something to measure the temperature of the formula. Is there any local stores that would sell a thermometer for cooking? They are usually pretty cheap and should be available at any store that sells kitchen supplies. You should also get a regular thermometer, like what you'd hang on the wall outside to see the temperature and put that in the babies enclosure to tell the temperature in there. As for a scale, any chance you or a neighbor has a digital kitchen scale?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Do NOT rinse his crop.

If you can get Papaya, grind it very fine along with the seeds, then strain the juice out through a cloth and for the first feeding, use that juice as the entire liquid for your formula. After he has had a good meal or two, continue adding it for as long as you like.

If you can get him to a vet to give him subcutaneous fluids (injected fluids under the skin) and get him into a brooder at the vets office while you get the right supplies, that might buy you the time you need.

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
I'll try to get the thermometers ASAP.. Thanks a lot for being patient and answering.. really appreciate it.. will keep you guys updated.. still figuring how to force feed him though..

Most Reactions