sick baby alexandrine.. urgent help needed

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Room temperature around here these days is like 35 C already.. proper summer hasn't even started yet.. so temp is ok I think..

No. That is not sufficient. Baby birds are extremely delicate and have very specific needs. If you had a whole clutch of babies that could snuggle together for warmth then maybe it would work but you only have one and he can’t regulate his body temperature yet. I’m not joking around; if you don’t take the temperature of the formula and the box seriously, your baby will die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I'll try to get the thermometers ASAP.. Thanks a lot for being patient and answering.. really appreciate it.. will keep you guys updated.. still figuring how to force feed him though..

DO NOT FORCE FEED! You will most likely kill him! Once both he and the formula are warm enough he will gobble it up like the starving baby he is!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Room temperature around here these days is like 35 C already.. proper summer hasn't even started yet.. so temp is ok I think..

No. That is not sufficient. Baby birds are extremely delicate and have very specific needs. If you had a whole clutch of babies that could snuggle together for warmth then maybe it would work but you only have one and he can’t regulate his body temperature yet. I’m not joking around; if you don’t take the temperature of the formula and the box seriously, your baby will die.

How can the OP raise the temperature in the enclosure for the baby? Incandescent bulb in a clip lamp over the enclosure?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Unfortunately we have this conversation a lot, usually with people from similar regions because in that part of the world unweaned babies are sold all the time with the LIE that raising them is easy and you don’t need special equipment, etc etc. the sellers don’t care about the birds and they don’t care about the buyer. We usually don’t get the chance to help until the baby is almost dead, like yours, and by then it is often too late. We are GLAD to pitch in! We love birds and we love other bird lovers; I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are praying for your baby and we hope you will stick around and be part of our community as he grows :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

How can the OP raise the temperature in the enclosure for the baby? Incandescent bulb in a clip lamp over the enclosure?

A heat lamp is likely one of the only options available easily. It isn’t ideal because a baby that age should be kept in the dark, but temperature is more important than light levels right now.

As for IMMEDIATE action, do you have a microwave? Can you put a bunch of dry rice in a sock and microwave it? Then put the sock in the box with the baby, covered in several layers of fabric to prevent burns. The baby can snuggle with it while you get everything else handled.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
just to add, do not force the food down! You will instead of getting the food in the stomach end up putting it into the lungs. Without the food being in that tiny temperature bracket they don't understand it's food and won't eat it. The temperature being right should cause them to gobble that food up faster than you can imagine

Last edited:
OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
It seems there is problem of aspiration as well. The breathing is labored and with slight sound. This is happening since he threw up earlier. His head is down and he isn't moving.. eyes closed.. :(

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
have put some heated rice beside him like you said..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
In that case you likely aspirated him while trying to get water down him and/or he aspirated while he threw up and/or he has a severe bacterial infection in his lungs due to the temperature issues already discussed. The only solution is to get him warm, KEEP him warm, and get food into him at the right temperature. If he survives long enough for you to do so, I would get antibiotics from a vet as well but he NEEDS food and fluids right away at the right temperature.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
do as silversage says. Then once you have done contact a certified vet via email or a phone call from another country. They should at least be able to offer advice about any medication that would be needed

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Aw poor little thing:( Hope the little guy pulls through. At this point, just be there with him, perhaps put your hand up next to him too in the enclosure so he knows someone is there with him. Sometimes the simple presence of another living being can be powerful medicine and comfort for the sick and weak.

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
He isn't initiating feeding response. How can I get anything down him? Liquids or otherwise.. it could go to his lungs..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
He isn't initiating feeding response. How can I get anything down him? Liquids or otherwise.. it could go to his lungs..

He won’t take it safely until it is the right temperature

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
I could get any antibiotic over the counter here.. perks of being in my country.. plz suggest what should I give him? I really wish I could get any vet to have a look at him right now :(

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
It is the right temp like u mentioned.. have brought a thermometer..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Try making it EXACTLY 43.3 degrees.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm just overwhelmed with sadness... poor thing.
I haven't read the entire thread: I'm on my way to do so now. Obviously, you've gotten a lot of replies from our wonderful members. What about the breeder/store/wherever-you-got-the-bird? Given the tragic absence of an avian vet, is there anybody you can beg for help????
So sorry for the helpless little being, and for you.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Have you been able to contact a vet? Any vet should be able to give subcutaneous fluids and that may perk him up enough to eat.

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
He has expired. Found a vet and drove all the way across the city to him. He didnt even touch the baby, wrote me a prescription and charged his fee.. thts it.. bought the medicines.. he breathed his last just as I reached home..
sad experience but taught me a thing or two for sure. I am really thankful to all of you for helping me out in time of need as best as you could.. I'd remember that.. Thanks a lot once again..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m so angry at the person who sold you the bird!

I hope that if you ever get another bird in the future you are able to find an ethical seller, and we would love to have you around here.

Most Reactions

Latest posts