sick baby alexandrine.. urgent help needed

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Just discovered this thread and am deeply saddened by the outcome. So sorry the concerted efforts could not save this hapless alexandrine.

I want to praise Dani, (SilverSage) April, (Kiwibird) and all others who gave six pages worth of astute advice and comfort in a few short hours.

To the OP, I hope you will succeed in saving one or more chicks from a horrific fate of misery via uninformed and careless breeders.

OP
C

creaks

Mar 28, 2018
Ethics aren't something in vogue around here you know.
Anyways, there's no other way of acquiring a bird around here. I'm more disgusted at the way the only vet that I could find went about things. He wasn't a proper aviary vet to begin with but still, he could've helped me out a bit with medication etc. Well, I tried everything I could.. some things are not in our hands..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Anyways, there's no other way of acquiring a bird around here. I'm more disgusted at the way the only vet that I could find went about things. He wasn't a proper aviary vet to begin with but still, he could've helped me out a bit with medication etc. Well, I tried everything I could.. some things are not in our hands..

I truly hope you'll try again, every life saved is a testament to the nobility of select humans.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am very sorry to hear that your efforts failed and the baby died. You tried in less than ideal circumstances, and sometimes that is all you could do.

I hope that in the future, if you do encounter such a situation again and decide to try to save another unweaned baby that the knowledge you've gained from this tragedy means this sweet babies life will not be in vain. I also hope you spread the word within your community about the dangers of the practice of buying and selling unweaned baby parrots. And please do not be afraid to turn here for help or advice or to just learn more about birds in general. Perhaps with more knowledge and a better plan up front, you could have a positive outcome in the future.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Tragic. But you tried, and you tried hard. And at the very, very least, your baby passed away loved.
Thanks to Dani and April and everybody who rallied and wanted so much to help.
You have my sincerest sympathy.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I am so sorry for your loss. I dearly wish things might have turned out differently, but it certainly was not for lack of trying. I understand your frustration with that vet. Perhaps even a bit of his time and attention might have made a difference to the outcome. But you did all that you could for that baby.

And as for Dani and April, I just want you to know that your efforts today represent this forum at its very best. You are both wonderful and deeply treasured members of this community, and your contributions are always so very appreciated. Thank you for always going above and beyond.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.

Hi Creaks

You should definitely do something to help crack down on the illegal trade. You may be aware that the Alexandrine parakeet is declining in the wild in Cambodia, Thailand etc and also in many parts of India and the main reason is the wild bird trade. Buying birds out of sympathy does not solve the problem because you are creating a vicious cycle. The more people like you buy, the more innocent birds will be trapped and traded.

What you could do instead is to get the authorities- The wildlife services etc to crack down on traders and then confiscate the birds and look after the chicks with help of experienced experts.

your friend from India

Cardinal

:blue:

birdybirds

May 30, 2018
s\

Alexandrines have strong metabolism, if raised properly they are hard birds but if they are not cared properly in early 4 months specially they might not ge as healthy as most. I prefer keeping my Alexandrine chicks with their parents birds in box for atleast 2 months, this helps in avoiding situations like you have mentioned, parents feed their chicks with proper care and provide them warmth. You can find more details here <a href=”https://birdsbreeding.wordpress.com/alexandrine-parakeet/”>Alexandrine</a> You can see in images how the parent birds have properly filled their chick's crops. I hope it helps :blue1:

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
s\

Alexandrines have strong metabolism, if raised properly they are hard birds but if they are not cared properly in early 4 months specially they might not ge as healthy as most. I prefer keeping my Alexandrine chicks with their parents birds in box for atleast 2 months, this helps in avoiding situations like you have mentioned, parents feed their chicks with proper care and provide them warmth. You can find more details here <a href=”https://birdsbreeding.wordpress.com/alexandrine-parakeet/”>Alexandrine</a> You can see in images how the parent birds have properly filled their chick's crops. I hope it helps :blue1:

I don't think you read through this thread, the OP was from Pakistan, and as such he bought his 1-month-old or younger Alexandrine baby from a mass bird breeder on the side of the road or at a "bird market", as is extremely common in the Middle East and in India. These mass-breeders have hundreds of parrots, usually some kind of Ringneck, and they just allow them to breed continuously all year and produce hundreds and hundreds of babies, which they literally cram into tiny little cages, dozens and dozens to a single cage, and they take them to the daily market or simply stand on the side of the road and sell them for the equivalent of a few dollars here in the US. USUALLY THESE BABIES ARE AT MOST 2 WEEKS OLD WHEN THEY ARE SOLD!!!

These poor people who only want to buy a young baby parrot to bond with and to have as a loving pet are lied to by these mass-breeders, they are told that "Feeding them formula is easy", and that "It's warm enough here that no special cage or heater is needed", and they tell them NOTHING ABOUT THE TEMPERATURE OF THE FORMULA THEY ARE FEEDING THESE BABIES!!! AND THIS IS USUALLY THE REASON THAT THESE PEOPLE'S BABIES DIE, BECAUSE THEY ARE JUST MIXING-UP FORMULA AT ROOM-TEMPERATURE WITH WATER AND FEEDING IT TO THE BABY BIRD WHO IS ONLY A FEW WEEKS OLD!

I bet in 95% of these posts, which are extremely common, the baby parrot dies due to the hand-feeding formula being far too cold, at room temperature instead of the required 104-110 degrees F...Also, they think that since it's "Hot" where they live that the babies don't need to be kept in a Brooder or any type of homemade-Brooder WITH A STABLE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 87-95 DEGREES F AT ALL TIMES!!! Without the babies at the proper, stable temperature at all times, who don't usually even have all of their down feather yet, let alone their outer feathers, THEY CANNOT PROPERLY DIGEST THEIR FORMULA, AND WHAT FORMULA THEY DO DIGEST IS A WASTE BECAUSE THEIR BODIES ARE TOO COLD TO ABSORB ANY NUTRITION FROM IT...

Something that is usually not thought of by these people is that yes, these shady breeders don't use a Brooder to keep their babies in...BECAUSE THEY HAVE HUNDREDS OF THEM HUDDLED TOGETHER FOR HEAT!!! When you only have 1 or at most 2 babies they can't get that kind of heat!!! But the biggest cause of death is by-far the temperature of the formula they are feeding the babies being at room temperature, they don't even bother to buy or use a candy/cooking thermometer at all...And it kills their babies.

And the other 5% of these babies die from either aspirating formula into their lungs because the owner gets frustrated that they aren't eating the formula (because it's too cold), so they try to "force-feed" the baby, which kills them...OR...because they don't have access to proper hand-feeding formula or they don't bother to order or buy a commercially-sold hand-feeding formula, so they instead simply feed the baby bird CERALAC, a human baby formula that doesn't contain the proper nutrition for a baby bird, AND IS LOADED WITH IRON, WHICH IS TOXIC TO BIRDS IN HIGH QUANTITIES!!! So when they feed their babies CERELAC human baby formula, and their baby bird's start vomiting, they think it's something that requires an antibiotic, when in-fact it's actually the baby dying of IRON POISONING FROM THE CERELAC!!!

It's a very sad situation, and as SilverSage mentioned in this post, these breeders tell these people it's so easy and such, but they aren't telling these people just how many babies they have die every single day...These breeders literally have hundreds and hundreds of birds, so they can afford to lose a dozen a day, no issue...

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
you hit the nail squarely on the head Ellen!

All I ever see people say when they get into this situation is "It's illegal here so I had to go to this person/I wanted to save that bird" NO Because buying one you condemn hundreds more to the same fate. If it's illegal to sell that bird it's illegal to buy the bird. Through buying one of these you become a criminal as much as that person trying to flog you a bird (that you will almost certainly kill)

The way to help is to not buy, tell everyone you know not to buy them, then get them to tell everyone they know not to buy. If these people make no money from the birds then they wont poach from the wild, the demand creates the supply. Starve these people of money and they lose the ability and desire to get more of their 'product'

Most Reactions

Latest posts