Sick eclectus?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Roxy,

Actually not all birds will eat and drink right away in a new environment! Its not unusual for them to starve themselves for a couple of days. When a friend of mine got her female ellie from a breeder friend of mine, that girl did not eat either! She didn't eat until the next day. Now she eats like a piglet she says.

Ok, mine have all eaten pretty quickly upon arriving here. And my vet said it was an emergency when Merlin hadn't eaten for about 6 hours.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It depends on the situation! But it really isn't unusual!!!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Sorry I do not mean to sound harsh, BUT this tragedy could have possibly been avoided had you been more knowledgeable and better prepared.
Surely the breeder should have told you to place the bird in quarantine for 30 days...................... you should have know better
You should have taken your other bird to the vet immediately, not wasting any time.
Had one of your human children been ill, I am sure you would have taken them to the doctor immediately.

I actually asked the breeder if i could put the two birds together straight away or if i should seperate them and she told me that they will be fine together, she said it wouldn't be a problem. It's only been a week since i had the other bird here and of course i will take my Paulie to the vets because he IS like one of my children, i love him dearly.

If that is the case, I would be demanding my money back or seek legal action against the breeder. Also, where are you from, some states require that the breeder give the buyer like 72 hours from the time of acceptance of the animal to have them vet checked.

OP
S

sumaya

Feb 10, 2012
I have recieved my money back and she actually didn't put up an argument when i asked. Because the bird died within 24hrs, i was entitled to get my money back and she knew that. I 100% believe that she knew the bird was sick but didn't think it would die that quickly.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Audrey didnt eat for the first day and a half - two days. After that she pigged out lol. May I ask what the breeder was that you got her from? I am really glad she refunded you, what did she say about the bird being sick and dying? So sad. :(

OP
S

sumaya

Feb 10, 2012
Audrey didnt eat for the first day and a half - two days. After that she pigged out lol. May I ask what the breeder was that you got her from? I am really glad she refunded you, what did she say about the bird being sick and dying? So sad. :(

When i rang her she tried to say that the bird was healthy when she sold her and that all the symptoms i was telling her on the phone sounded perfectly normal. When she first sold me the bird it was still and quiet and stayed like that. It just didn't look right but she kept saying "no no no everything is ok, your just overreacting". I only had the bird for less than a day but i cried when she died because if the breeder knew she was sick she could have taken her to a vet and possibly saved her. Obviously she cared more about money which makes me sick!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

When i rang her she tried to say that the bird was healthy when she sold her and that all the symptoms i was telling her on the phone sounded perfectly normal. When she first sold me the bird it was still and quiet and stayed like that. It just didn't look right but she kept saying "no no no everything is ok, your just overreacting". I only had the bird for less than a day but i cried when she died because if the breeder knew she was sick she could have taken her to a vet and possibly saved her. Obviously she cared more about money which makes me sick!

This shows you NOT all breeders are equal! This person is a BAD breeder!!!! When I used to breed, I would NEVER sell a sick, unweaned, or problem bird!!! All the babies I raised this past year have all done very well and the owners did not have any complain at all and they all told me they were very happy with their birds. Except one lady lied to me and she wouldn't respond back when I caught her re-selling the baby she got from me for double the amount I sold her for. As I told her from the beginning I was not in it for the money and IF she didn't want her, I would like to have her back. She made me really angry!!!! The baby I took from my friend's mother will be weaning soon and already got a good home picked out for her. Told them again, IF you don't want her, give her back to me!!! I think I need to type out a contract from now on....

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
When i rang her she tried to say that the bird was healthy when she sold her and that all the symptoms i was telling her on the phone sounded perfectly normal. When she first sold me the bird it was still and quiet and stayed like that. It just didn't look right but she kept saying "no no no everything is ok, your just overreacting". I only had the bird for less than a day but i cried when she died because if the breeder knew she was sick she could have taken her to a vet and possibly saved her. Obviously she cared more about money which makes me sick![/quote]

This shows you NOT all breeders are equal! This person is a BAD breeder!!!! When I used to breed, I would NEVER sell a sick, unweaned, or problem bird!!! All the babies I raised this past year have all done very well and the owners did not have any complain at all and they all told me they were very happy with their birds. Except one lady lied to me and she wouldn't respond back when I caught her re-selling the baby she got from me for double the amount I sold her for. As I told her from the beginning I was not in it for the money and IF she didn't want her, I would like to have her back. She made me really angry!!!! The baby I took from my friend's mother will be weaning soon and already got a good home picked out for her. Told them again, IF you don't want her, give her back to me!!! I think I need to type out a contract from now on....[/QUOTE]

I would think you could to protect you and the birds from people like that. I know that one of our past dogs and our current one both came with a contract that stated if I was ever in a position or wanted to rehome my dog for whatever reason I had to give them first choice before being allowed to give it to someone else or a shelter.

To mean it just showed home much they loved their animals and I was ok with that.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

I have to admit, that would have scared the heck out of me! I'm glad she was fine and just worried about being in a new home.

Most Reactions