Signs of bonding

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi guys. I was wandering about bonding and how you know if you have with your parrot. I always read about people with Conures who want to be on them all the time ect but its not something i fully understand.

Xander is so nice natured, he only ever bit me once when i was checking his wing which was my fault. Ive seen him snap at other people if they do something he doesnt like but never me. He chirps all the time when i leave the room which i presume is a contact call? and he gives me this look when i put him away. I can do anything with him pretty much but others cant but he will step up and play nice. He isnt a shoulder magnet like a Conure but he does like when i stroke him or a neck scratch but he doesnt pine for that kind of attention. He plays peekaboo with me and once or twice a day he comes to me on his own accord. Does all this sound like we are bonded? I have raised him to be independant too x

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I would LOVE it if my bird were that sweet and accepting and affectionate. Beautifully bonded. I congratulate you both.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Bonding comes in many forms and isn't always black and white. I have a bond with my cockatiel pair -- they do contact calls, will step up and sit on my shoulder and preen me and seem to look forward to when I approach their cage. Do they want to be cuddled or feel the need to constantly be on me? No, but I am okay with that as they have each other.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Absolutely! It's a loving bond for sure. :heart:
Congratulations indeed!! ;)

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Thanks guys. I guess some birds just arnet all clingy Jackie. I intentionally taught Xander to be more independant. I just thought for a while are we bonded because he isnt so needy anymore but thats what i wanted. He knows he is gonna get abit of everything every day. He seems alot more like me as time has past. Birds just have the most fascinating minds dont they especially how they challenge ours. Its like he knows how i want him to be and i know how he wants me to be. I guess there is a difference between bonding and seing you as a mate too. The psychology really fascinates me alot. I wander how much things will change when the new birdy comes. I wont change how i am with him. I figured if i treat him as number 1 birdy, like greet him first ect it wont affect the bond we have. The other bird wont really know the difference. I guess thats gonna be a whole new bucket of fish lol but i think about it alot x

Last edited:

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Perjo went from showing little affection to showing a great deal of affection in about a month around 19-20mos. I could tell when she started playing with my hands and fingers while hanging upside and not biting but just rubbing her beak on them.

Most Reactions