sleeping

chellner

May 7, 2015
Usa
My macaw sky while fast asleep on his perch late a night fell of his perch on to the bottom of his cage.He is 7 mths old. Is this normal.:blue1: Thank you Chaz

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No, not normal. Please take your bird to the vet right away even if he "seems fine." It should be a certified again vet not just a vet who sees birds.

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
Just as silver sage said this is not normal for a macaw to just drop off their perch in the night :( . He may have had a seizure or something caused by nutritional deficiencies or other medical issues. So please take silver sages advice and take him to the vet. BTW often owners of green cheek conures and sun conures are worried when they find their beloved bird lying on its backs t the bottom of the cage but this is a relativity conman behavior in conures, however macaws are generally not associated with this behavior. I hope your baby will be okay, good luck. :41: :)

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
At 7 months he should definitely be sitting on a perch comfortably overnight. I hope you are already with an avian vet as you read these replies.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As everyone has stated, a parrot of this age having a night fall is very rare in a healthy parrot.

Well stated WilliamKenyen.

General note: Senior parrots and some middle age parrots that have lost muscle mass in their claws and legs from spending years on under sized or a single size dowel falls are seen. It is important to assure that we provide natural branches of varying sizes for our parrots, targeting larger diameters for those ares that they roost.

Most Reactions