Smoking safely around your birds?

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
Just a curiosity idea.

Smoking around a pet bird is in my opinion a form of abuse. Their lungs cannot handle it, and their feathers can be affected simply from residue on your hands. However many people unfortunately do not want to give up the addiction.

So what if it were possible to smoke not just with your bird in the room, but even on your shoulder?

My mom's smoked, like, forever, and when she called this morning she was talking to me about possibly switching to these things called electronic cigarettes, so I did a bit of research.

From what I understand the atomizer uses water vapor and battery power to let you inhale solely nicotine, so there would be no smoke, tar, or other chemicals, and no residue on your hands that could affect a birds' feathers.

Theoretically
, if what I understand is right, bird lovers who smoke may have a much better alternative that's safer for them and their fids. = )

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I saw one of those last night on TV. Pretty neat, if it keeps me from having to smell the nasty smoke.

However, I would want to see proof that there is no nicotine left in the water vapor. As you may guess, right now I am very skeptical of manufacturers' claims of safety.

I don't know if it is the nicotine that hurts the birds' respiratory systems, or other components of the smoke, but I'm sure it can't be good for them.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
This came out in South Africa, beginning last year I think. Everybody switched and everybody are already back to the old smoking way. It keeps on breaking, endless headaches. Maybe they improved it by now, but, in SA nobody wants anything to do with it anymore.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Just my take on it from a smokers prospective, if your to lazy to go outside and smoke, you shouldn't have birds in your home, or any pet for that matter, heck while we're at it lets just include any living thing's, the electronic cigarette is fairly new on the market, I wouldn't chance it, I'd say take it outside and do your thing, it's pretty much the ONLY way to be sure :)

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
I agree with you Links, been there, done that! Bottom line - dont smoke around your birds or the area they live in and wash your hands after smoking.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I am trying to find the things I read about it then, only found this now.

Oregon Sues Electronic Cigarette Maker

Smoking Everywhere claims that e-cigarettes contain "no harmful carcinogenic ingredients" and are "free of tar & other chemical substances" that are "produced in traditional cigarettes." In fact, lab testing by the FDA found tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are known carcinogens in humans. FDA testing also found diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze that is known to be highly toxic in humans.

Health fears about the e-cigarette that is legal to smoke indoors - Times Online

OP
C

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'd never suggest anyone actually trying this!! = O

I'm not a smoker anyhow lol, just thought the possibility was sort of nifty to consider.

And thanks for the links wildheart, I'll have to relay that to my mom O__o;

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
do it outside, wash hands when I come back in. With the heavy rain today I'll smoke less than usual, which is a good thing. And once winter comes I may try to quit again....

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Of course never smoke around birds. That being said, both my hubs and my adult son smoke the electronic ciggie. They have not touched real cigs in over 6 months. Most makers specifically state this is not a cure all to quit smoking, but a means to a healthier smoking. It is a water vapor. No tar, no smoke.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
GC you have TWO husbands :11:...........oh my

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I am a smoker who basically promised myself I would quit but still havn't :( It's a really hard habit to break.

My opinion of those electronic things is they don't feel like your smoking. You have a plastic thing in your mouth and part of what is addicting about smoking is that you finish a smoke. The electronic cigarette is neverending lol. I agree it is probably better for birds but as a way to break the habit it can't work for me.

I smoke outside and wash my hands. Bobby is right if your too lazy to go outside to smoke and take the precautions for your fids then you shouldn't have them.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
GC they found all kinds of toxic stuff in there. Antifreeze and Carcinogen just to name 2.:(

(A carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide or radiation, that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer.)

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Hi all,
About six years ago I took care of a CAG for a serviceman on active duty. Initially I was only to have the bird for a few months as the serviceman's uncle and co-owner of their business was recovering and rehabbing from an auto crash. When the bird, Jazz, came his feathers gave off a strong scent of cig smoke. Jazz, 21, had spent nearly all his life in the uncle's smoky bar and grill. He was a happy fellow whose verbalizations included all you are imagining. He was rather scruffy looking but otherwise fine. Over three months, his feathers got less scruffy, the dust less smokey, and he settled in fine with my old Sam (conure) and a sun I was fostering once quarantine was done. Then the uncle called and had someone pick him up and drive him back to the town and he went back to his place in the bar. About two weeks later I got a call from the serviceman stationed in the middle east. Jazz was doing very badly and he wondered if any of my other birds were ill. I reassured him that they were all fine and asked the nature of Jazz's symptoms and was told that he was "sick, losng weight,coughing." I suggested getting bird to vet and that smoky bar might be the problem or contributing to the problem. The bird's owner didn't see how that could be so given the bird had lived in the bar its whole life. Three weeks or so later the uncle called and asked if I could take Jazz back for the rest of his nephew's active duty assignment. I agreed with reservations especially when the uncle said the bird was not seen by vet and was still "poorly". I set up an appointment with my vet and a place to strictly quarantine Jazz away from my own three birds and the fostering Sun. When Jazz showed up a week later I wasn't sure it was the same bird...at least until he offered me a beer. He looked awful...weight loss...feathers a mess and a sort of wheezy cough. My vet saw him the next day as I was too worried to wait til the scheduled appointment. He started treating him for something he described as birdy asthma and for a while we wondered if Jazz was going to make it at all. Over time, he came back...quit wheezing, looked healthy again. Six months later, the uncle called to get Jazz back. We argued about the smokey bar and I told him I would give him back only to the serviceman...thinking I would get Jazz at least another year of recovery. In the end, though the serviceman contacted me and asked me to let Jazz go back and that the bird would be staying with a friend near the base. Two years ago, I heard from another serviceman that "the grey parrot at the bar" had been found dead in his cage." I don't know for sure it was Jazz but there weren't that many bars with birds near the base. Soooooo. I do know birds that like Jazz do "ok" around smoke for years, but I am pretty sure smoke killed this funny CAG in the end.

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Boy....that really makes me want to hurt someone.

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix- alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010

mikki- barraband x king parrot
21yrs old
Poor jazz some people do not think
of the consuquinces of their actions be it to birds animals or even humans for that matter but I guess that's how wars start ha

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Aw thats terrible! of course it probably killed him :( Parrots aren't built to breath smoke in all day long, neither are humans but at least we have a choice! Poor Jazz...:(:(:(

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Really Wildheart?!! I will definitely have to research! Thanks.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Yes it is a sad story. I hesitated to tell it since I am not absolutely certain it was Jazz but I am as certain as I can be. My vet ...a very smart guy who donates his services for the program, thought Jazz had a sensitivity to the smoke that was actually made more acute by not being around it for a while. He was a funny bird not chummy but very vocal and I swear he had a sense of humor. He would wait til I was on the phone before asking loudly "What the f*** do you want now!?" Never said that particular phrase unless the phone rang first. He would make the sound of a bottle top coming off and beer pouring into a glass. Timing always on to cheer "go, go GO! " during football games on TV. Sweet guy...deserved better.

Most Reactions