Sneezing Scarlet

OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
Took Clyde to a new avian vet and was pleased with him. Clyde had mersa before and they are checking to see if it’s gone after the antibiotics he had in the past. Will know next week. Suggested doing a CT scan to get to the bottom of it. Breathing through his mouth because he’s so stuffed up. Ugh.. $800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm not aware of a bird contracting a MRSA infection either....Now it's totally possible for a bird to have a bacterial infection that is resistant to the spectrum of antibiotics that usually treats it, especially if they've taken those antibiotics several times in the past...But as far as a bird actually having a MRSA infection, that's a new one...

I also don't know what you mean by "they are checking to see if it's gone after the antibiotics he had in the past", because if he had an ACTIVE MRSA infection, he'd be very, very, very ill, and would be dealing with necrosis, sepsis, etc. And a MRSA infection isn't going to be in the Upper Respiratory System...

OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
From what I understand he had a culture a few months ago that tested positive. He has had antibiotics. Because he is still symptomatic they did another culture to see if he ever got rid of it. I will know more soon and clarify.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Thanks for the update! Does someone in the family have it as well? I was reading the article and the implication is that it must come from a human host. I would seek a second opinion, just because if it really is MRSA, you guys could catch it as well (regardless of where it started)...and that is VERY SERIOUS...

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Lots and lots of people walk around with MRSA, but it only is a problem if you get sick first or/and you have immunesytem-issues (and then you *really* have problems). Since hospital and overall hygiene etc. is really declining it will only get worse.

(If everyone had just finished their course of antibiotics like they were supposed to we would not be in this kind of trouble :p "Anything that does not kill you makes you stronger" really is the norm for bacteria... )

Almost all our antibiotics will no longer be usefull in a few decades max..
(Due to over- and mis-use.)
But we already knew that.

==
Back to Clyde:
we need a culture!!

(the standard test for humans is an inside-the-nose-swab, so not really difficult or painfull or even expensive ;) , sorry I am dutch... )
(and yes, been there, done that)

Last edited:
OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
Yes, they swabbed Clyde’s nares and will have results next week.
He was positive before but had never been tested again after the treatments.
New vet didn’t this culture to see if still positive.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you for sharing your journey, a d enlightening us as well. I hope there is help and a cure for him. I second that bacteria are not host specific most if the time, so there is risck of some sort in having contact with an active infection. Worth having a clerifing conversation with your vet and possibly a human doctor as well. I once had a vet freind who's daughter became life threatening ill from an infection he brought home from a reptile he was treating. She nearly lost her life, and it was only with the vet a d doctor working together that they saved her. This was 25 years ago, so only remember the bacterial name as being unpronounceable and rare. As the reptile was also rare in captivity. I wish I could remember more. I just share it as a warning of the seriousness of bacteria and the risk of zoonosis. Both ways, as we know our mouth bacteria can be deadly to birds.

Joon

Nov 28, 2016
Lotus Land
Parrots
Two adorable Yellow Nape Amazons and a Military Macaw. Double Yellow Headed Amazon (RIP)
Thank you for all the amazing suggestions! I have been using Clorox wipes on the hard floor surface. Going to stop and use vinegar and water. My son does use hair gel. Clyde loves to snuggle him. Going to go through other things that might irritate him. Also get copy of all the tests and bloodwork he’s had done. I’ll call the nearest vet school. He scratches his head/nose a lot also. I’m going to add past tests on here and results when I have them to further pick your brains. [emoji56]Again... THANK YOU!!
Clyde’s gramcaw [emoji23]

I haven't finished reading the thread, but a couple things come to mind;

- might have something up their nose,

- the room/house isn't humid enough,

- or they have a vitamin A deficiency which can cause sneezing and wet nares, and a host of other problems. In South American birds it's especially important they get enough of it in their diet. A lot of people supplement their birds diet with red palm oil (from the fruit not the kernel!) I use this one from Nutiva; my vet recommends a sunflower seeds worth (.5 gram) every other day for my birds to give you an idea of how much.

I would contact a rescue like PEAC and ask them who they recommend for veterinary care, they're in San Diego and might have a better idea on who to take your bird to, or who to avoid like the plague.

OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
Great info everyone! I love learning from each other and helping each other. [emoji179]

OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
CLYDE UPDATE!
So Clyde’s culture tests all came back ok. No more MRSA. He says the next step would be an MRI to be able to see everything. Believes it might be something he can’t do anything about. Has anyone ever had an MRI of their bird? $800 :((
Thanks again!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
Great on the cultures, did they also do the bloodtests we talked about way back?
(I would first spend 80 dollar on a test before spending 800 on an MRI ..)

OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
I am at a loss [emoji22] my heart breaks for RYAN, my son. He is 23, has a 4.0 GPA in college and works at Starbucks to pay for College. He has invested every dime into Clyde trying to find out what’s wrong with no answers. Now he says his breath smells like yogurt and his voice is more hoarse. He said, I might as we put him down. I told him don’t give up and he said “ I’m running out of money”. Why can’t any of these vets figure it out? He has spent thousands of dollars. He loves him so much. I dread that day.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
So...another crop infection (yeast maybe?)
He still has not been tested for (active) PDD??

That really should have been step one, before even suggestion all the other treatments.
(Why test for MRSA when there is a previously confermed PDD-infection in the household and not test for that in the other bird?)

It is not unusual to get a yeastinfection after using antibiotics (thats why you feed them pro-biotics), but treating that is not that expensive.
Plze do not put him down yet!

Our vets offer a pay-plan if you do not have any money at the time, but are willing to pay longer-term. Try to find something like that (or even try a fund-me? Everyone else seems to be able to do that.)
Has he been to another CAV yet? (we kick our birds up to the CAV at the university if the local vet/ CAV is not getting anywhere)

Last edited:
OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
He took out insurance. They have requested his records. I’m trying to get a copy too. The insurance is effective March 7th.

OP
D

Debbied

Feb 2, 2019
What probiotics can we give him???

Most Reactions