Socializing & Training

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Apollo (CAG) , Kona (Pineapple conure)
Wonderful!! , keep everyone involved. I do things a little different . My training stands are PVC and have food and water bowls that I remove when training. It keeps the mess of meals out of the cage where its much more difficult to clean . Breakfast and dinner are served from these. This isn't for everyone but it works well for me.
44f138d705d5fc15a4679864fef39b1d.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago.

Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018.

Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
I actually like the idea of the PVC stand/dishes. I have noticed his cage is terrible to clean. Its so large the only ideal way to wash it is to hose it in the yard. Living up north...that's not an option right now. Definatly will be looking into crafting one of this as well. It would be nice to have a couple through out the house. At least then he could fly to a stand to hang with us (if he still decided hes not ready to step up).

Thanks for this photo its got my wheels spinning on ideas!

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
This is 1" PVC with 3" PVC caps for food bowls. And stainless hardware to connect the bowl to the 1" cap.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

Slightly off topic question to the training subject. I am reading up on Amazons again and someone recommended a solar schedule? They stated male amazons are known for being nasty and complete hellions especially during hormone season. With that they did state behaviors are typically due to the human not recognizing signs of back off.

My question is when does hormone season start? How long does it typically last? What do you do when your birds are experiencing it? Are they housed in their cage more? Or simply left alone while out? Is there anything a newbie should do when the time strikes?

I'm trying to find idiot proof information here but I am finding it hard. I also read males need a different diet to help with the hormones?

Over all our little guy is generally speaking a respectful amazon. He doesn't easily lash out of act hostile. If he doesn't want you he simply walks some where else to get away. The one time he did warning bite us I would say it was incredibly mild and hardly felt...and I heave read about the damage they can cause if they wanted.

Who knew that time of the month could be such an ordeal for these creatures.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Depends on the species and individual. Some, the hot 3, are well known for having strong puberty reaction, esp the first one, and then again some of the owners hardly notice a change. Our Salty, a yeallow sholder 'zon is known for milder temerment, and will be 4 soon, well into puberty for his species.

Mring season for 'zon generally starts soon and lasts until end of spring. Remember- generally- every perrrot is an indiviual. Some BFA I hno problem plaing with and some frare like buzz saws.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

Hello friends, I need honest talk for those with blunt advice. We are currently fostering the amazon I have been posting on. As you know I do not have ANY experience with large birds especially ones with the minds like an amazon.

I'm seeing the difficulties in housing one and I can understand why they so often get passed around. They are not an easy bird that is meant for everyone. (but this is not their fault)

With that said a decision is coming up on what we want to do. Adopt or Foster until rehomed.

Initially I was leaning towards we would only foster. I'm not confident in my comfort level of having an animal of this magnitude. Sure I can afford him and provide him a safe home. He would always have fresh toys, a clean cage, and healthy food. But what about the rest? It sounds like many of you have your bird out of the cage more then they are in it. I work 40 hours a week so hes out nights and weekends he gets to come out during the day. This would become his routine and "normal". We also have dogs that have to be locked up when he is out. We wanted to ween everyone into happy cohabiting so everyone could be out at the same time. But is this even safe? is this a responsible move"

Then comes the comfort level. I can honestly say I am not comfortable handling him at this point. (target training has been a savior lately) I'm sure its the same for him why would he trust me. I'm sure given time we would happily learn to trust one another. But until then...? And what if that never happens? They say birds pick up on humans emotions etc... I know mine right now are screaming don't bite me.

I have also started to think about the day I hand him off to his potential future home. The thought honestly made me rather angry. I'm wondering if they would take the time to feed him his fresh foods? I've learned he would rather munch on his veggies and nuts all day over a pellet. When he does this it leaves his cage disgusting, stinky, and in need of daily cleaning. (and not just a swapping out of paper but an actual rag and bucket of water) I can't imagine the average person maintaining that. I more see people just taking away the fresh foods and saying eat pellets. Would they even clean his water bowl as needed? Right now I go home on break to freshen up his bowls.

Then I think of will they let him out daily? Will they respect his need for space? I've noticed he would much rather sit and preen or sit and monitor the house. Next his cage is small and when we brought him home he had 2 old faded wooden toys in it. We have since replenished his home with a variety of toys. He also has new play top toys, he now has a fresh food dish, and a variety of perches. I wonder would the next home maintain this? Would they play music for him during the day while your away? Would they upgrade him to the larger cage he deserves?

So my thoughts are running rampant! Am I the right home? A home is more then just providing a clean space, food, and toys. What if I am not the bond he deserves? I take being a pet parent very seriously. I'm not one to take on a pet and say oh their difficult bye. I suppose that's why I am stressing out about the commitment of him. I have never had such a bird before and I don't know if I'm right.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I am usually the master/mistress of blunt but to be honest: I do not know!
??!! Are you being pressured into deciding?
Because that is how bad decisions are made (or good ones that will keep you second-guessing anyway).

I understand: the "this is not perfect, but it could be soooo much worse for this bird if I were not there".

I am having some of those issues with Sunny: she really deserves so much more (more interaction, someone who is more experienced with this type of bird, more - much more- space, more dedication & energy form her caretaker etc.etc.) but compared to what she had before she landed here...she already has a LOT more, and maybe it is enough. (?)

If I were to meet someone she took an instant shine to, who could improve on what I can offer her... she would be with that person in a heartbeat! (Though I would miss her like crazy).
The same with the greys - if they would get a far better life: that is what I would want for them!

But life has no guarantees and sometimes you just have to trust that things will happen for a reason, but this 'stay or go' - I don't know!

Last edited:
OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

Well I feel pressured to give an answer...but ultimately I don't think there is immediate pressure. With that said I think they would want an answer relatively soon not the months it could take for him to warm up to me.

I know I am dedicated to him, I know I love him (even after 2 weeks), and I know I would continue to work with him. My concern is... can I get over this ridiculous fear of don't bite my ear off? It really is ridiculous! The other night he bit me when I asked him to step up. Had I not been looking at him I never would have known, that's how gentle he is. Even when the rescue was loading him into a crate for us and he was getting angry his "attacks" were gentle, you could tell he didn't want to hurt anyone he just wanted to get away. He's very content at just sitting on his cage top and being quiet... hes not a loud bird that screams or angry.

I feel like if we all relaxed and took our time a bond could be formed. I'm just struggling with am I right for you? Am I giving you enough outside time? does it bother you that you don't have your person to hang with? Silly questions I am sure.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Not silly at all - they are great questions!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Awww, you have to follow your heart, your instincts.
I can tell you, I always worry if I do enough for my birds, or if they are happy enough, am I feeding them right...ect. I guess that's just being a parront!
I think you should have a good general feel for him now.
If you are just worried about your experience level, well he will help you level up! Most of the people who adopt him would be going to work, no different than you. I lean towards telling you to adopt him. He isn't going to turn into a monster unexpectedly, as you are meeting needs of food, social, toys, activities, and respect. You can work through almost anything with the right attitude. ;)

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
100% what Laurasea said. I think your doing a great job and you are what Jojo needs.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Birdmom, All the questions you asked are absolutely normal and in my opinion says loads about you. This world is only as good as today and nothing is promised for tomorrow. This last post has told me more about you than people I have known for years. I think you know in your heart what you want to do but maybe the pressure of the upcoming decision has you questioning the proposition?.

I think we all question things with our companions and if what were doing is adequate or not especially with the fact that birds can be complex. We also have to understand that these birds are more likely to be adopted out to less compatible family's than not. I have to say you have had much success at a very early period in this relationship and as much as a bite may be haunting you , If he was really trying to scare you off, you would be full of holes and probably would have already considered foster only and getting him off to hopefully his forever home. You absolutely have what it takes if a parrot is something you want in your life. As previously stated most of us work for a living and our birds do spend part of their lives without us. Just as our own children spend a significant amount of time away as the grow. We miss many things and there will always be doubts and regrets , don't overthink this animals live in the moment not like us second guessing everything we do.

This is something to keep in mind , their only better off in one way " back in the wild" and unfortunately for the ones bred to be companions there is no going back. We can give them many things but freedom would mean a very short life. Personally I think if you stay the course you will end up with a life long companion that will continually impress and give you a better understanding of life itself. Also stories , laughs , and many cherished family moments. No matter what, you have done something most would not have. Yet made a difference in JoJo's world. No matter the decision, you have what it takes at the very least to make sure he gets an opportunity at his forever home with the short time he has been a part of your family.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

Thanks everyone for your unwavering support and much needed advice. Its helped me understand a lot of things. My family is supportive of the decision...but they ultimately think if I can't get him to step up (and soon) its not meant to be. I've tried explaining my comfort is all with small birds. His comfort is all into one human that sadly died. Together we are more alike then we know...we both want to go slow and when its right...he will naturally come to me and I will naturally know he means to be friends. At least I feel that's how its meant to progress. I feel like I'm meant to feed him, get him out, clean his area, talk to him, reward him and eventually he will come to me.

I don't think people realize he might come to me in August though. I'm ok with this...I feel like to achieve I need to be allowed to observe and learn trust just like he needs to do it with me.

I think I'm confident in my decision now. I'm sure tomorrow I will be back needing more advice on what to do with the next hurdle!!

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Target and reward every day , continue to take it slow ( JoJo's pace) his trust will come. Goals are great but they ultimately make the decision of when their ready. Stepping up will be a absolute celebration for you when it happens . Please contain yourself when it does so he doesn't get scared and get the wrong message. Targeting is a great way to introduce stepping up but dont do this until you both feel comfortable. Always remember to stay at his pace watch body language and probably 9 out 10 times if for some reason he gets startled or upset because he is flighted he will choose flight over bite.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

A small miracle happened after my earlier post. I hugged my husband and George flew at us. Assuming that he wanted my husband which he has before he put his arm up to try and perch him. He passed the arm flew around us and onto his back. I figured he was jealous so I stepped Aay and he took George back to his play top. After that George seems excited possibly agitated so I left the room and went up stairs. When I came down I said hi George and went to walk into the living room. It was then George instantly took off and flew to my shoulder and gurgled away. It completely shocked me! He has never once showed interest in being on me! I took him back to his play stand offered him a treat which he declined so I praised him with talks. I’m wondering now if he originally flew to be near me and it wasn’t jealousy? Time will tell.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
It likely was, but he was unsure and did what he thought was safest. Reaction side of the brain vs the thinking side. When you came down later he was using the thinking side . Continue high praise and treats or use the shoulder as the reward . As long as he doesn't give you a hard time about getting off . If so no shoulder period. He is communicating his desire to be with you so you will need to let down your guard a bit and work with with him to develop that bond if your relaxed he will be , let him ride along for short trips to other parts of the house . Tell him where your going and what your doing , live in that moment .

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

good advice, thanks.

Is there any tall tell signs Amazons will give you when on your shoulder that they are getting irritated? Its not like I can see him but like you said he's more likely to fly off of me than to attack.

I'd say we had a fairly successful morning. He clearly got some energy out because he's back in his cage sleeping away.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Not really , but one thing to consider is jewelry, most all birds will definitely show interest , so earrings would be a no no when your available for him to be with. Dont want him thinking your ears are toys. Keep the interactions to a few minutes and always vary the time. Especially when behavior is what you want, give him extra time. If he gets possessive or nippy off he goes. Eventually if he is a good boy you can have him along for as long as he wants as he will at some point get bored and want to head back to his cage or stand.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Oh and this is from personal experience , dont put your cell phone to your ear , most get very jealous and may bite. Neither of my guys tolerate me cheating on them with the phone. Lol!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty gives my ear a nibble when he is ready to back to his playstand/