Socializing & Training

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Even after nearly thirty years, I am STILL very cautious when its "that time" of year :eek: Before Amy had his current home (food and water bowls now have "doors" that swing out) I had to duck my head retrieving them or expect,and GET,a good CLUNK on my head! He would scurry down from his nite-nite perch faster than greased lightning and attack. Even now,when I'm pulling out/folding up his basement floor papers I have to be VERY careful. I mean,c'mon now Amy...thirty freakin' years together...you know the routine!
But I guess the hormones just make him run amok to where he can't control himself? Or maybe it's just a ploy..I dunno :confused:
Like 'Boats said..the amaZONE!! :eek: :eek:

Jim

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
I started clicker training SassyByrd a couple of weeks ago. She has taken to it like a duck to water. I spent days just conditioning her to the clicker. I use sunflower seeds (her absolute favorite) pieces and they are ONLY usd for training. I started with a target stick. I purchased black metal chopsticks and wrapped the tips with blue duck tape. After she fully understood the target stick we went to turning around, waving and flapping her wings (she says “flying bird” when she flaps...her own twist on the game) and vocabulary on a cue. New behaviors take from 5 minutes to a couple of days and learning new behaviors appear limited only by my patience. She loves the “control” it gives her. She constantly offers all of the behaviors and responsds to cues with almost 100% reliability. It really has transformed our relationship. In no way is she a “perfect” girl. She is supposedly 2.5 - 3 years of age but is presenting sexual behaviors with me and is going through a nippy stage already. Clicker training is absolutely responsible for helping us through this right now. I do work from home so she is out with me most of the day. The nipping seems to occur when she is in her cage for more than 1-2 hours during the day. It’s her way of telling me she’s pissed. Clicker training is a great way to make her feel “in control” of her life again and offers an opportunity for consistency. She knows if she does a requested behavior when cued what the result will be and that it’s her choice. There is no punishment for refusing a cue, there is just no reward. I really encourage you to stick with the training and make it an ongoing part of you relationship.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago.

Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018.

Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
Good progress ! Amazons are ruled by their bellies and the quickest way to their heart is that route. With some birds its 3 steps forward , 2 steps ( or 4) back. I dont see that contact calls are bad, it lets her know who is where in the house or coming in, but once answered with your own contact call, should cease. When I leave the room, Salty will call in a few seconds, but stop after I tell him "I'm here , where are you?" Be consistent in this. Same response, every time. I think those will diminish.

You guys are doing amazing with a bird sorely in need of understanding, loving parronts.

The behaviorist suggested we call back when she calls just like you do. She did say often times they are just looking for their person. If you call back it's enough for them to stop. We try this and sometimes it works...other times not so much. I have discovered she will respond to my call back by quieting down. If her human is near then that's another story...she will continue to scream and carry on until shes good and done!

I figure if we can at least get her calls to words instead of screams that would be great! I understand that the contact calls are just a part of nature for them but HOLY COW! Talk about room shaking, blood curdling screams!

We have also taken to creating our own foraging toys for her. Our most successful one is large blocks of wood connected by a LARGE bolt. We have holes drilled in around the wood and nuts crammed inside. She spends a good portion of her morning just ripping into the wood. Shes been working on it for a few days now and has yet to get all the nuts. Positive side is that its keeping her mind and beak busy.

Shes also enjoying some sea grass toys we have created. Sadly she has discovered how to dismantle these in under 3 minutes so they are short lived.

Yesterday while cleaning she got a bit riled up. During her fit over the vacuum she let us know just a bit more of her vocabulary! It now goes into various laughs, Hi Friend, MEOOW, and it also sounded like all of these in various different accents if you will. Glad no naughty language has shown itself yet...YET.

Most Reactions

Latest posts