Socializing & Training

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago.

Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018.

Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
I've just discovered this and I very much enjoyed reading it!

I picked up a few of your questions...

Yes, the world seems short of CAVs! I live in the UK and am spoilt by 2 CAVs within 45 minutes drive.

The gentle bite you described, I think before he stepped onto you? Was it more like he was hooking you with his beak? In which case he may just have been steadying himself or testing the potential perch was secure before he trusted it with his weight.

As for more tricks, look up "capturing". You can do it when he's in his cage and it involves no input from you other than clicking and treating. The first thing I captured was a wave. I captured the 'twirl' as I call it rather than doing the way you describe where the bird basically follows your finger or a treat held above it's head.

I think him flying to you is fantastic, especially when he's unsure of something. It really seems you're developing a beautiful bond. I'm very happy he's staying with you.

Hormones make monsters or the sweetest birds. My Alexandrine went through really puberty last year. I just ignored him and let him do his thing, but he was such a grump!! I suggest you don't give him the opportunity to bite you when he's like this, maybe delay step up training for a while.

After hormone season though you could try getting him used to being on your skin by target training him over your hand, so he literally walks over you to get to the target. Just keep your hand still and don't try and lift him until he is totally comfortable.

Yes he is being a little monster these past few days! Lucky for him his sweet child like self shows through now and again. He is definitely feeling something because he charged me when I was swapping out bowls to feed him today as well. Normally he just watches nicely and waits... I remind my self of the old saying..."This to shall pass"

When he bit me the one time I think it was a warning bite. He more mouthed me like a dog does during playing. He did it fast and then retreated. Since then I am careful not to force anything on him. Much more respectful of his space and letting him take the lead. Lucky for us he does give a fair amount of warnings. He has yet to truly BITE any of us.

Today he targeted a little bit from his favorite spot on his door. I think he likes this best because he's eye level with me. He tried to get on me from the door but I said no and wouldn't let him. Prior to this he was being a little aggressive and tense. Since his go to spot is my shoulder I didn't want to run the risk of unknowingly making him mad and not being able to see.

We tried our hand at birdie bread today to. He ate a quarter of a cup cake and seemed to enjoy it. The other birds are looking at the new food as a danger.:23:

I'll start giving capturing a try and see how he does.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

Well this past weekend we made George a play stand/gym and a waist high perch to sit on. He is curious but still very caution of the new pieces.

When he was out exploring he came down to chat to me at his door. He was targeting nicely and was reaching out to play with the string on my hoodie. He kept reaching like he wanted to step up. I put my arm out and instead he bit me and hissed. I told him NO, gave him a dirty look, and stood my ground for a few minutes.

Looks as if stepping up is still a working progress.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Apollo (CAG) , Kona (Pineapple conure)
Try keeping the perches near his cage for a few days and then move them close enough for him to climb on or explore . If he hisses or fly's off your to close but you can try to get the stand close enough to target from the cage to the stand, he may try for the right treat. Its always a punch in the stomach when we start something nèw or try a new toy and they dont share our excitement , sometimes they warm up quickly and sometimes not so much. Its just communication and keeping them on the learning side of the brain.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

Has anyone ever used the "Family Friendly Parrot" Dvd's from Bird Tricks?

I'm wondering if they are worth the purchase?

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
I have not, but I have used some of their methods and I think they are even offering two free Skype consultations when you buy the packages. Lots of good info.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

Question

Does anyones birds attack them when cage cleaning? What do you do when this happens?

I am always the one to clean Georges cage. When I do its the same routine bowl of soapy water, trash bag, news paper. I take out all the garbage and then start scrubbing. He normally watches me curiously with the occasional hiss.

Today I was scrubbing the water dish ring. I turned around to put the rag down and he flew and dive bombed my head! I was told it looked like he was trying to bite me- luckily he didn't.

Is this common behavior? Is it a hormonal behavior? Advice needed.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
He sounds cage territorial, probably hormonal. You may need to take him to another room before cleaning. Then see how he does after the season is over.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
They do not attack me, but the cleaning rags and brushes are being damaged a lot!

Japie wil try to drink from the bucket, bite the edges off and shred the cleaning-cloths.
Sunny is being an utter nuisance- so she gets to be somewhere else- because she sneaks up on me, hitches a ride on my back, steals my glasses, rip the rags, attacks the new paper as I try to put it in, blocks the doorway etc. etc. etc. and makes working almost impossible.
Appie is more laid back and preferes to be somewhere else anyway.

It is not real agression (they know better than that) but play (and I am still not amused!).

Cleaning empty cages is so much easier :)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Question

Does anyones birds attack them when cage cleaning? What do you do when this happens?

I am always the one to clean Georges cage. When I do its the same routine bowl of soapy water, trash bag, news paper. I take out all the garbage and then start scrubbing. He normally watches me curiously with the occasional hiss.

Today I was scrubbing the water dish ring. I turned around to put the rag down and he flew and dive bombed my head! I was told it looked like he was trying to bite me- luckily he didn't.

Is this common behavior? Is it a hormonal behavior? Advice needed.

Amy use to be that way but now she just moves up to her nite-nite perch and watch with curiosity, Taking the news papers out was dangerous for the fingers :52:

Jim

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

It REALLY shocked us all that he came at me the way he did. Normally he goes through his stages of warnings before he bites. Even when he bites its more of a mouthing...but last night WOOFTA! He was NOT happy with me. He also didn't do his regular alerts of GO AWAY! I knew he was tense but not to that extreme.

He still is a little irritable towards me today so I am giving him some space. I definitely don't want to make this a habit. Strongly considering purchasing the family friendly parrot training video now...its worth a shot...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Having a very long life with Amazons, I have long ago come to understand that one always keeps eye contact with them. This is especially true when one is working in and around their cage /perch. This starts with a discussion with them about coming over to the cage /perch and what you going to do. All the way from asking for a set-up, to changing water, to cleaning, or removing /placing a toy.
This gets their attentions and time for them to react /display.
The AmaZone is a real place and an Amazon can be looking at you, but day-dreaming about something else.
Humans assume way too much and become lax in being aware of what is happening around them.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

I like your explanation of this SailBoat. After it happened I realized 1-ok I should have gone slower and paid better attention...I later had to call myself a dummy. Everyone relates amazons to a wild animal...

Sure they depend on us for food, clean housing, etc...but they're more wild then domesticated... The attack was my fault...but now I have to remind myself constantly to pay attention to the signs and do better.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

What do you all do during hormone season to avoid attacks/outburst with your Amazons?

I noticed today during breakfast that George was still VERY angry with me. I talked to him nicely and went slow...telling him the entire time I'm going to clean your bowls and get you fresh food and water buddy. He didn't care he marched right over, eyes pinned, hissing at me. I eventually asked him to come sit on a perch on the other side of the cage...it took a couple times but he finally listened. I had to move fast then to get the bowls out before he charged back over furious!

He did come out yesterday for his normal stretch. He performed nicely and targeted well with my Husband. He even let him skritch the back of his head while he munched on a snack. George did however angrily watch me from the door way... I kept my distance knowing I'm not on good terms with him.

Any advice you all have to get us through this hormonal time?

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

GEORGE UPDATE:

Was just given an update from the shelter George came from. I guess the previous owners girlfriend stopped by to see him and saw he was adopted. She apparently lied on her paperwork. Turns out George has killed another bird before. She claimed it was accidental... but he punctured a conure and she died. She also stated hes not 35 years old but more like 17-19years old. She still has contact with the original owner.

I wish I could talk to the original owner and find out why hes been passed around, how his life has been prior etc... I suppose this is a wish every parrot person has though.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I wish I could talk to the original owner and find out why hes been passed around, how his life has been prior etc... I suppose this is a wish every parrot person has though.

I feel you!

Same here, it is *so* infuriating getting only halftruths (or knowing nothing at all). I hope you can get to the original owner and get some straight answers.

I still have contact information for all 3 of mine- and they keep telling me bull**** as well. Of course it is never easy confessing to your own foul-ups and the birds lesser endearing qualities- but if it helps the bird ... why do they stay silent?
Running into wall never makes anyone happy ;)

Is George really just hormonal? (and therefore unreasonable)
Of is he just figuring out who has the right to go first at things, who decides what happens etc..

I am still a bit fuzzy/confused because people/scientists keep claiming there is no pecking order in parrotflocks, but there is definitely some sort dominance going on, there are always individuals who have 'the right of way' in a flock.
Because if(!) the scientists have it all wrong, just babying our birds and trying to get along at all costs is the wrong thing to do, then we really have to step up in the "my way or the highway" rules.

and if that is so- you need to become something else than your flocks punching-bag...

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

I feel you!

Same here, it is *so* infuriating getting only halftruths (or knowing nothing at all). I hope you can get to the original owner and get some straight answers.

I still have contact information for all 3 of mine- and they keep telling me bull**** as well. Of course it is never easy confessing to your own foul-ups and the birds lesser endearing qualities- but if it helps the bird ... why do they stay silent?
Running into wall never makes anyone happy ;)

Is George really just hormonal? (and therefore unreasonable)
Of is he just figuring out who has the right to go first at things, who decides what happens etc..

I am still a bit fuzzy/confused because people/scientists keep claiming there is no pecking order in parrotflocks, but there is definitely some sort dominance going on, there are always individuals who have 'the right of way' in a flock.
Because if(!) the scientists have it all wrong, just babying our birds and trying to get along at all costs is the wrong thing to do, then we really have to step up in the "my way or the highway" rules.

and if that is so- you need to become something else than your flocks punching-bag...

I hear you Parrots are an extremely complex creature! Sad to say I think George is full blown hormones at the moment...if anything! Yesterday I could not safely get his fresh food dish out of his cage. I left it thinking I will have his chosen human do it...makes sense right.

NOPE

When I told my husband I needed help getting the dish he goes...Oh George isn't coming out today. I said "What?" He replied George is a bit angry...really angry actually its better he just stays in his cage... we will have to work on the dish through out the day.

Apparently George was doing the big bird dance, feather flaring, and BIG HISSES to my husband as well. Needless to say he spent the day in his cage with us just spending time near it. Today isn't proving to be much better. I talked to him this morning, talked to him as I did the other birds dishes, and finally I went slowly to his cage to do his. He charged over, hissing at me, preparing to lunge. I finally got all dishes out but he was PISSED.

Its incredibly frustrating because from a distance he's sweet talking, fluffed up and relaxed... but the moment anyone approaches its GAME ON.

Hormones if that's what it is really mess with a persons mind! Its like a bad relationship. Last week you loved me...now you want to murder me. :30:

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

George still seems to be struggling with hormones he is on day 3 of being caged and I feel rather cruel. Every time I go to let him out he starts hissing, eyes pinning, and panting. Its a struggle to even get his food dishes out sometimes.

Is it "ok" to keep him caged during this time? Or is it only adding to his stress?

I hate seeing him caged all day but I also fear letting him out only to see him go mad. Every time I think he's calmed down enough to let out he starts hissing and panting again.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

I need help!

I think I said in a previous post that George had anger issues towards woman at his last home.

Today the little devil dive bombed my head again! At least I think that’s what he was doing. He was cage top I walked into the room said hi George! His eyes pinned and he flew right at me ..but he flew higher and towards my head. After the last attack I naturally flinched and dunked like I know I shouldn’t. He flew down towards me around and landed on a stand and instantly shouted hello!

What can I do to make this better?

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

UPDATE:

Georgia is on about week 3 of training. Her new sleep schedule which we have been doing for about 5 weeks is going well. She wakes up much happier, easier to handle, and over all calmer. She goes to her sleep room at 7, shades get closed at 8, and she gets her shades reopened at 6am.

I'm continuing with my efforts to expand her diet. Its proving to be difficult! She would rather eat pea pods and blueberries all day. I recently made chop, mash, and birdie bread. All of these have been given a great look of disgust and ignored. I have however expanded our effort to bird tea. She chirped sweetly at the bits I sprinkled on her mash as a trial. Some of the tea was eaten... the mash ignored.

Her anger towards myself is also improving. Some days however, we take a step back but generally speaking there is improvement. Any time I cross her path I drop a treat in her dish. If shes by the wall I let her choose a nut from a container. In the container I have small bits mixed with large pieces. I figured letting her choose upped the reward. Shes now to the point were if she sees me she charges over and chirps waiting for her treat. Since we started this she has only attacked the cage bars maybe 4 times. Keep in mind attacking the bars was happening EVERY TIME I passed. So for being on week 3 with only 4 attacks is great. If she does attack I stand there and look at her. Once she mellows out a bit I drop a treat in her dish and walk away. Always ending on a positive I'm not a threat note.

When shes out of her cage shes only come for me 2x since we started. (Wings were clipped for training since her aggression was so high). When she flies down to the floor I'm suppose to get a perch and take her back to a safe zone. I'm still nervous about doing this. I can tell shes not there yet by the look and flares I get but hopefully soon. When shes out of her cage if I get to close her tail fans, eyes pin, and head feathers fluff. The trainer said always avoid getting to that level of excitement. With that progress is slow.

Her masturbation is slightly decreasing but it still happens. I've noticed I bring it out of her the most. It can be triggered by me walking by, approaching with a nut, my talking, or just the sight of me. When she does this shes ignored or we turn our back to her.

I have noticed she loves to talk to me. When my husband comes home she does contact calls (which we are trying to stop). When I am around though she says "hello" "HI!" "OHH" "how are you!" "woof" "HA HA HA" or does her ever so cute cat call whistle. So I talk back to her but I'm thinking perhaps I should stop this. I've noticed when we get chatting her flares up. If the excitement gets to be to much she then aggressively attacks her rubber ring toy.

Another cause for concern, I think shes trying to regurgitate for me. I've noticed lately she gets excited and bobs her head. Sometimes though during the head bob she thrashes her head to the back like shes trying to hack something up. If she is trying to "Feed me" I really don't want to encourage this. Its usually done though when I am eating. Initially I would give her a bite of corn or couscous (its always during meal prep lunches) and once she gets her share she stops.

Over all though progress is slow but the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to show a little bit.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good progress ! Amazons are ruled by their bellies and the quickest way to their heart is that route. With some birds its 3 steps forward , 2 steps ( or 4) back. I dont see that contact calls are bad, it lets her know who is where in the house or coming in, but once answered with your own contact call, should cease. When I leave the room, Salty will call in a few seconds, but stop after I tell him "I'm here , where are you?" Be consistent in this. Same response, every time. I think those will diminish.

You guys are doing amazing with a bird sorely in need of understanding, loving parronts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts