Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My heart melted at that last picture;) Percy has come so far!!!

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Yes, he has :). I'm so proud of him. He's changed from an agressive blood-letting biter to a sweet, (mostly) gentle ;) & loving sweetiepie. If you had told me a few months ago that he and I would be this close, I'd never ever had believed it.

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
Awwwww, that's wonderful! :) He's a beauty!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My BFA used to sit like that last picture, only she was fond of shoving her head in my eye socket for extended head scratches...

THE MOST BONDED BIRD I EVER OWNED...

Percy looks like he's headed that same direction.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Michelle, you and Percy are a testament to patience and love overcoming all obstacles. You are an inspiration, my friend:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Those are SO cute! I'm glad he's becoming so comfortable with you. I'm also totally jealous:mad:. Kiwi still has the typical zon attitude where he doesn't want to be touched and certainly doesn't want cuddles:green:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Oh how cute. I love the look of it's scalloped feathers.
Are BFAs not known to be a cuddly bird?

Mine was.

But many zons have attitude.

They tend to be pretty independent.

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, finch, budgie, Indian Ringneck

Mine was.

But many zons have attitude.

They tend to be pretty independent.

Wow - are these birds expensive in the States? Where I live in Australia one of these birds would set you back about $1300 and that's for an aviary breed bird.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Amazons tend to be a bit more independent than other species, and in one way or another, they ALL have an attitude:p. Our BFA has a pretty typical amazon temperament- he's a really sweet boy and enjoys are company, be he's not into being touched. My moms DYA on the other hand will snuggle right up to you and sometimes, even allow petting.

Average price for a hand reared BFA in the US is $800-$1000, from a reputable breeder.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
He is soo fluffy ,i really love the 1st picture.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Did you??? She's so pretty like an apple green.

Yes, I did! He needed a home urgently and was given away for free to me because they thought I'd take good care of him. His previous owner was an elderly gent who developed dementia and alheimerz. He loved Percy but his hag of an old wife didn't and treated Percy really badly. So, the old man decided to give him away before he became so ill that he really couldn't look out for Percy anymore. He did the right thing for his bird and although I hate his old wife for what she did to Percy and, to a degee, the old man for allowing it, I AM glad that in the end he made the right choice for Percy.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
he is adorable....I just LOVE Percy & YOU for that matter, look what you have done for him.
he's gone from an untrusting angry bird to a puddle of love....love the pics!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Wow - are these birds expensive in the States? Where I live in Australia one of these birds would set you back about $1300 and that's for an aviary breed bird.

I was extremely lucky, I got Percy for FREE! :eek:.

I've been given 8 of them over the years. I have never paid for an amazon.
These are species that people get, and then don't understand. Then they get rid of them because "IT" bites...

In fact, of all the birds I've ever owned, the only one I ever bought was my red fronted macaw. Every other bird was either a rescue, or given to me. And I have turned away more than I have taken in.

The bird is always referred to as an "IT" for some reason. (Not in my house.)

Anyways, toys, cages, food, vet care, playstands, and the occasional human wound care... there's no such thing as a FREE parrot.

Last edited:
OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Anyways, toys, cages, food, vet care, playstands, and the occasional human wound care... there's no such thing as a FREE parrot.

Very true, Birdman! I have spent sooo much on all the things you've mentioned that Percy was only "free" for about a month LOL!! :D

Most Reactions