something is seriously wrong with Safari!!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Safari woke up this morning, puffy, sleepy, moving very very slowly.
he drank some water the moments later vomited it up.

he's been sleeping on and off, I had to drive Sarah to school, I checked on him when I got back, now he's in the corner of the cage on the bottom!!!!

off to the vets!! the ones who operated on Num Num....my guess is he ingested a piece of toy he was trying to destroy yesterday.

vets don't open till 9am, it'a long 15 minutes wait:mad:

my poor Saffie does not look good:confused::(

I'll keep you posted

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: Oh no, Beth!!! I am so sorry!!! Hopefully it's something VERY easy to treat and nothing too serious!

HUGS....and prayers coming your way, too.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Don't think my post went through...

I hope Safari is okay. Sennie's are tough nuts so I'm sure he can hang in there. Is it 11 now? Will be thinking of you. xxx

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I hope and pray that he gets better!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh I am so so sorry! Our prayers go out to you and safari. Please keep us posted!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
sorry for the delay....our internet was down, then when it came back up I had to e-mail Evan, my vet, with some info on what I think Safari consumed....yes that is right, he consumed 2 large pieces of metal!!:eek::mad::(:confused:

Safari is very very ill, with absolutely no warning at all. I just can't believe this, he was roaming around his cage yesterday, and today he's sicker than a dog.

this is what has happened:
Safari slept the entire way down to the vets (45 min drive)
He only woke up when Evan was examining him
Evan held him on his back and his feet were quivering, and his body was shaking.
Evan asked me if there were any metal toys he'd been playing with.....my heat sank:(
I knew what he was referring to, metal toxicity....ugggg.

I didn't have any answer at that point, but would go over his cage and surrounding play area when I got home.

Evan is running a cbc panel, toxic panel for lead, and zinc compounds, virus panel,& I asked him to run a PDD test. he thought that was a good idea.

I could see the $$$$ flying out of my pocket as I stood there looking at poor sick Safari, but that didn't matter, I just wanted to hold him.

After Evan put him down on the table, his eyes closed and fell back to sleep, I've never seen a bird do that before.

the pieces that Safari ate are large, the two combined measure almost 1/4" put together.
Evan told me that a fraction of metal will kill your bird, at that point I didn't want to hear anymore.....I just shut down.

Safari is very very ill, Evan did not know how long these pieces have been down there, but given Safari can still stand and grab with her feet, he thought a week or more!!:eek::eek:

Evan is giving Barium to Safari, and hopefully it will adhere to the metal and he will pass it. they are crop feeding him, giving him electrolytes, vitamins, and plenty of good medical attention.

When I called this morning Evan was booked solid, I pleaded with them so I could bring Safari in to only see Evan....they were able to switch another customer to another vet there, in order for me to get in....

I just can't believe this, first Num Num, now Safari....:(

I am removing ALL TOYS from ALL the cages, I just can't take this anymore, these things are deadly!! with terrible consequences.....either that or I have rotten luck.

here is a picture of the toy Safari had played with, and digested....

IMG_4729_zps09887dd5.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

my stomach is in knots, so I hope this makes sense, I haven't re-read any of this so I hope there are no typo's ha ha

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh, Beth!!! Was that a bell??? Did she eat the clapper of it??? :11: :11: Can Evan possibly surgically remove the metal from her? Did he take X rays to see if they were visible????

You do NOT need this. Man, I don't know what to say, I am SO sad with you. :(

HUGS HUGS HUGS!!!!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I had removed the thing a ma bob inside it, but I think what he ate was an inside layer of it....I have another bell just like it and looked inside and there are pieces of it sort of overlapping.

I knew I forgot something on the post....he did an xray, and found two pieces in his lower stomach.

now I just spoke with Evan and the Barium is starting to work along with the medication to bind the pieces together, hopefully he will pass them.
He also said Safari is improved slightly and is now perching, so far so good, gosh my hands are shaking....ahhhhhh!

I will call them tomorrow and see how he is.

they will be forwarding the xray of Safari when I get it I will post it, providing my internet doesn't crap out on me again.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm sorry for calling Safari a "she"....I know better. I know he's a boy. :rolleyes:....I'm stressed out over this with you, Beth. :(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Your last post just gave me goosebumps!!! He is in THE best possible hands, Beth!!! And for him to be perking up a bit is a GREAT GREAT sign!! :) I'm trying to be optimistic...feel free to slap me for it.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I'm sorry for calling Safari a "she"....I know better. I know he's a boy. :rolleyes:....I'm stressed out over this with you, Beth. :(

oh me too Wendy, my head is all over the board here, I am trying to think straight, but the words just aren't flowing that great.

at least Safari's cage was safe, the bell was on top of another cage, duh, stupid me, I should have known better, but I had removed the ding a ling thing, never thinking he would try and get at the inerds(sp?)....

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots

for a year I've been calling Safari a 'She' however when they are this age you can sex them by looking at the colours near their vent, Safari seems to be a male, yay!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
for a year I've been calling Safari a 'She' however when they are this age you can sex them by looking at the colours near their vent, Safari seems to be a male, yay!

And a GORGEOUS one to boot!!! :) And he WILL make it, darn it, because I said so!!!!!! He will be fine!!!!!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
....am I repeating myself??, wow...

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Sennies are little instigators. I can totally see my Sammie (who is a she) doing something just like that. It gives me a sick feeling thinking about it. I hope Safari continues to get better quickly.

Most Reactions