Splayed legs in parakeet hatchlings...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The only thing I will add to that is that if you do end-up having to hand-feed them at any time (you're decision to allow the parents to at least try to feed them is a good one), DO NOT EVER "put small amounts of the formula inside the BOTTOM of the bird's beak and let them eat it from there", that's not good advice at all, in fact it's the opposite of what you should do. The entire reason you are suppose to go OVER their tongue with the syringe and aim for the back right-side of their throat (their right side, your left side if you're facing the bird) is because the crop entrance is there. If you put formula underneath their tongue and in the bottom of their beak, they are very likely to aspirate it right down their trachea. ALWAYS GO OVER THE TONGUE AND TOWARDS THE BACK, RIGHT SIDE OF THEIR THROAT (again, THEIR right, your left if you're facing the bird)...

Another thing would be to make sure you are checking their crops on a regular basis, several times a day, to make sure that the parents are feeding them, and then check first thing in the morning to make sure they are completely emptying over night. If you find that their crops are not being filled (they should look very large, round, and balloon-like after a feeding) then you may need to take-over, though since there are only 2 babies the parents should be fine feeding them enough.

If you ever see that either of their crops are not empty first thing in the morning, or are not almost emptying between feeding during the day, then that's an indication that the baby may have slow-crop, sour crop, a yeast infection, etc. and may need to give them some unflavored Pedialyte with a couple drops of Apple Cider Vinegar in it, or put a teaspoon of ACV in the parent's water...

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
The only thing I will add to that is that if you do end-up having to hand-feed them at any time (you're decision to allow the parents to at least try to feed them is a good one), DO NOT EVER "put small amounts of the formula inside the BOTTOM of the bird's beak and let them eat it from there", that's not good advice at all, in fact it's the opposite of what you should do. The entire reason you are suppose to go OVER their tongue with the syringe and aim for the back right-side of their throat (their right side, your left side if you're facing the bird) is because the crop entrance is there. If you put formula underneath their tongue and in the bottom of their beak, they are very likely to aspirate it right down their trachea. ALWAYS GO OVER THE TONGUE AND TOWARDS THE BACK, RIGHT SIDE OF THEIR THROAT (again, THEIR right, your left if you're facing the bird)...

Another thing would be to make sure you are checking their crops on a regular basis, several times a day, to make sure that the parents are feeding them, and then check first thing in the morning to make sure they are completely emptying over night. If you find that their crops are not being filled (they should look very large, round, and balloon-like after a feeding) then you may need to take-over, though since there are only 2 babies the parents should be fine feeding them enough.

If you ever see that either of their crops are not empty first thing in the morning, or are not almost emptying between feeding during the day, then that's an indication that the baby may have slow-crop, sour crop, a yeast infection, etc. and may need to give them some unflavored Pedialyte with a couple drops of Apple Cider Vinegar in it, or put a teaspoon of ACV in the parent's water...

EllenD,
Thank you so much for clarifying your right and left vs the chicks right and left. I thought I had it right but but wasn't sure.
You just made it sure.

GB you,
Dave

OP
B

Budgiegirl38

May 14, 2018
About Marla's splint...She totally got out of the tape. It was her jerking her foot, the doctor didnt intend for the foot to be taped like that. little stinker. The vet's office is quite a drive so, I think I'll re-tape her myself...

Ope, baby birds are being fed. The chirps they make during feeding are so needy sounding. It almost sounds like they're saying feeeed meee, feeed meee, feeed meee. lol.

OP
B

Budgiegirl38

May 14, 2018
Update:

Yesterday I checked Marla's splint and noticed her the tip of her toe/nail was bloody. The splint was on too tight. I cut the splint and loosened it (very carefully), and her toe immediately began to lighten up. Unfortunately, I didn't catch it before her toe was cut/burst from pressure....Dx...but I think she's okay for the most part...I haven't been home all day to check on her (work) but when I did get home to finally check on her the toe is pink minus the (small bit) of blood)...

So, for clarification...the blood is what made me really notice the splint being on too tight...I swear I did not cut my bird. I could just see the tip of her toe/nail and blood. and was like 'ahhh'. I sculpt miniatures in my free time...I'm extremely careful...will get pictures tomorrow. I tried to clean the wound with a Q-tip and water but, I didn't really go poking at it..

I haven't called the vet about it because at this time, there isn't anything I can do for it (I've done all I can do [loosen the splint]). Though I do plan on calling perhaps tomorrow or Monday when they're open again, just to check up and make sure I shouldn't rush her up there....(the avian vet isn't in everyday either).

When I say I loosened the splint, I cut it so that there isn't any pressure on that toe. The tape is taunt at her ankle so she can't get out, but that toe isn't being compressed at all anymore. I pulled at the medical tape to stretch it up/peel it off a bit. and snipped little by little, careful to keep the tip of the scissor and the leg/toe in sight at all times. When Marla moved, I put the scissors down...lol...just for clarification...

Marla is actually standing up on her splint. I'm really happy for her. Rocco seems...very uncomfortable standing up...He's worrying me a bit. He doesn't like to rock his hips forward under him, but he seems a ton better than he did at first. I really need to get pictures of them up here. They are so pretty already. They're feathers are growing so fast, its amazing.

Last edited:

Most Reactions