Split Wing Feathers

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I posted this on general health, but I figured posting here too couldn't hurt.

We took our birds for a visit to the vet, new bird exam, meant to be nothing special.

Our senegal checked out perfectly, he was a little jealous of her condition.

Tali the CAG checked out good, if not a little thin

It's Teo that worries me. He's a CAG, sibling to Tali and four years old. Her feathers were perfect, but when we opened up his, we were horrified to see the condition of his wings.

They are split and cracked like old wood. Most of the primaries and some of the secondaries were terrible. Split and peeling like one of those cheese strings. I couldn't take pics because the vet cliped his wings back to avoid furher damage and sent them off for analysis.

I've read about PBFD, but although the pics of wings look similar, he is showing none of the other symptoms and the damage looks old. The rest of his feathers are perfect, though his tail is a little scraggely. He eats well, though always after his sister. He is submissive, but hoots and grooms normally.

I am currently changing them over to a veggie and pellet diet, rather than the veggie and seed diet they were on. We've also ordered Harrison's recovery formula which we'll recieve any day.

What do you guys think? I've narrowed it down to a few things:
Damage from falling and wacking his wings
agressive grooming and chewing
poor nutrition
Lack of bathing (I've been spraying them down about 3 times a week, whether they like it or not)

I'm hoping that his next molt will show healthy feathers.

Any insite you could give me would be very helpful, thank you.

OP
Karigan

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Please... I've answered so many threads and posted this on 2 forums that been viewed 100 times. Won't someone please give me some advice?

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Sorry, I dont have any info for you on this but I'd like to find out as well. Did the vet do a blood test or poop test? That should always be completed during the initial purchase exam to rule out any diseases.

BTW, just noticed your name. I always liked the name Karigan.

OP
Karigan

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Thanks, it's from a character of one of my favourite books. The vet took the feathers for analysis and said that that would be enough.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would guess options one and two primarily... mostly two. Would be hard to say without being able to watch him all the time while he's awake.

Most Reactions