Spme on kick me in the...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
....please! :mad:

Gorgeous day yesterday! So my little green friend and I did some errands.
Town Hall to pay electric/water..visit her buddies the green armed Bee Bee's...the donut factory for her own plain munchkin..

It was a perfect day..I could just tell how she had such a great time. She refused to sit on her Salty Perch in the car,wanting to be on my shoulder in the car. Again she was preening my beard,rubbing her beaky on my cheek gently,making sweet soft Amazon noises in my ear and playfully trying to remove my sun glasses as I chauffeured her around. She was bright eyed and alert,looking out the window as we drove around.
Even met two ladies on a bench sitting outside the Town Hall and she stepped right up on the younger ones hand ( the others daughter I believe) and even lowered her head to accept head skritches...I was soooo proud of her! :D

When we got to the pet store they had a lot more birdies then usual..a 6 month old CAG that was sooo dang friendly (better be,for $3500! :eek:)
that stepped up on one of my arms while Amy just looked at her/him inquisitively and actually said HELLO! ( I think she thought it was Smokes lol)

So Amy needed her nails done. They do it for free for her. The young girl who takes care of the birdies has a lot of experience,saying she is owned by nine different fids. When I told her about the last time we were there,and her very young assistant whom I believe was intimidated by Amys' size,was hesitant on hold Amy. So she said she would hold Amy while the "manager" did the clipping. I SHOULD HAVE HELD AMY WHILE SHE DID THE CLIPPING!! :mad: not once...not twice...but THREE times he clipper her tootsies too short and drew blood.

When we got to the donut factory ( just down the street) that poor bird sounded like she was CRYING and was holding her foot up in the air. I was wearing a real soft sweatshirt and she wouldn't even put her foot down on that! God I was so friggin' angry..more so at myself coz I said I'd never let those people groom her again and I let it happen.

When we got home,I immediately called the store and talked with the girl and gave her holy heck :mad: :mad: Just to save a couple bucks, I ruined a beautiful day for her..what a putz I am..:02:

BTW Amy is fine now..but crud..I feel like do-do for ruining her day..sighhhh.

Jim

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
things happen, no ones fault really birds can be hard to manage. And you got to get it off your chest, she learned something in her failure. I hope you can forgive and they forgive and you can go back and do it your way. It will take a few days and your bird will definitely hate that place for a while but things change over time. If not find someplace new and insist you hold. And hope for the best the girl learned something in her failure and won't make a mistake again.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Jim don't beat yourself up. Cannot believe she did it THREE times, incredible.

The important thing; is Amy alright? See if she/he will let you file in future to keep them in check, little and often. I could not trust to have this done there again. Give Amy lots of cuddles to make up.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Jim don't beat yourself up. Cannot believe she did it THREE times, incredible.

The important thing; is Amy alright? See if she/he will let you file in future to keep them in check, little and often. I could not trust to have this done there again. Give Amy lots of cuddles to make up.

K..I almost ALWAYS take Amy to her CAV for any type of grooming,and the CAV uses a dremel tool NOT a clipper.
I was being "cheap"..didn't have to pay a $12 grooming fee...didn't have to make an appointment and didn't have a twenty minute ride ( even though Amy wouldn't care about the ride...she loves to travel lol)

And yes,she is fine,and that store is a very favorite place for her. She gets so animated and talkative every time we go there. I hope this last experience didn't tarnish her thoughts on what a good time she has when we do go there.Always walk out with a new toy or snack every time we go lol.

Jim

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
My CAV uses a Dremel too and charges £6. I cut Plum last year and swore I would never do it myself again. He too was holding his foot up for the rest of the day, god did I feel guilty.

Amy will be OK if it is pleasurable and she/he sees his friends the Bee Bee's etc just swerve the nail clipping corner LOL. Head skritches to Amy Jim. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ah poor Amy. SHe'll probably be OK in a few days, but I wouldnt got there for a few weeks. Bad memories now.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Awww!!!! Glad she's ok maybe her opinion of the shop will now change.

$3500 for a cag? That's very high!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Thankfully there is no permanent damage. There are no sure bet against injury even when taking them to a vet. My lil Booger is permanently crippled due to careless handling by a vet tech during an X-ray procedure he didn't really need. I have since changed vets but the damage is done.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thankfully there is no permanent damage. There are no sure bet against injury even when taking them to a vet.

Here here. My CAV brings an army of stiptic materials when I bring Parker in for grooming. Things just happen even under the best of circumstances.

Jim try not to get too riled up about this. No permenant damage has been done. Would you react the same way if it was you dog? Speaking for myself, I'd be much more blasé about it. Hell, I've quicked my dog more times than I care to count.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Awww!!!! Glad she's ok maybe her opinion of the shop will now change.

$3500 for a cag? That's very high!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She loves that place, Lea :02: Like a kid in a candy store,or Christmas morning lol. Bright eye'd..fluffed up a bit and very vocal..and always with proper manners. I'd be heart broken if this experience put a cloud over such a great time she has when we go:02: YES a very pricey CAG! But he/she was very young and so sweet/trusting/lovable.

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Thankfully there is no permanent damage. There are no sure bet against injury even when taking them to a vet.

Here here. My CAV brings an army of stiptic materials when I bring Parker in for grooming. Things just happen even under the best of circumstances.

Jim try not to get too riled up about this. No permenant damage has been done. Would you react the same way if it was you dog? Speaking for myself, I'd be much more blasé about it. Hell, I've quicked my dog more times than I care to count.

Chris...even if it happened to a FROG, I'd be p.o. and upset lol...just the way I am :rolleyes:

Jim

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Aw, Jim, I know how you feel--but don't be too upset! It's over now, and she'll be okay. I take mine to her avian vet, too--they use a dremel and charge $16!--but Lucille has such long quicks that it's the only choice. They had an assistant who had never worked with birds before hold her this time, and the guy was pitiful at holding her--I was afraid she was going to break her little neck twisting around! Of course, he paid for it by getting bit at least twice. But Lucy was so messed up afterward! I gave her a piece of BBQ potato chip to make up for her hell, though, and all was well again. Bad things happen, but I am sure a few treats at the store, and she'll let it go!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Aw, Jim, I know how you feel--but don't be too upset! It's over now, and she'll be okay. I take mine to her avian vet, too--they use a dremel and charge $16!--but Lucille has such long quicks that it's the only choice. They had an assistant who had never worked with birds before hold her this time, and the guy was pitiful at holding her--I was afraid she was going to break her little neck twisting around! Of course, he paid for it by getting bit at least twice. But Lucy was so messed up afterward! I gave her a piece of BBQ potato chip to make up for her hell, though, and all was well again. Bad things happen, but I am sure a few treats at the store, and she'll let it go!

Well Mitch....I DID let her pick out a new toy! :D Tonight all is good in her world. We'll see how she reacts the next time we go there.

Jim

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
As a pet store (hell hole) employee, I was told to cut the nails short on purpose because it kept them from growing back too long / too quickly. Pet stores are a never-ending font of utter bu||$#!+!!!

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
As a pet store (hell hole) employee, I was told to cut the nails short on purpose because it kept them from growing back too long / too quickly. Pet stores are a never-ending font of utter bu||$#!+!!!

That seems counter-intuitive if the object is to have the customer return more often to pay for nail clips. :) I already know I'll be taking future bird to the vet for nail trims. We take our dogs to their vet for nail trims after one single incident of cutting one single nail too short and the dog cried. That was it, lol. :)
Save

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
aw Jim, so sorry for you and Amy. Hope she's feeling a bit better now. Have you tried the concrete perches with her? If not just remember to only use the vet. I do hope she forgets this. It would be such a shame to stop enjoying the store. I hate the idea of pet stores doing grooming. Retail just doesn't give any form of training and shoves a bunch of teenagers who know nothing into the fray to do things. nothing matters as long as cash is in that register

Most Reactions