Starting to introduce aviator harness to both

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
My harnesses arrived today. And some food I ordered as well. Of course I found I now have enough roudybush for ten birds because I forgot I ordered the mini LAST time. And this time too. Oops.

So anyways.
I watched my dvd.
Then I brought Loki out. I had the harness hanging and he doesn't like that. But he will let me close his eyes, lift his wings, encircle his head tightly, etc. all no issues, it is the harness itself he doesn't like. I hung it on his cage so he will get used to it. I figured that he would be the easiest as I handle his whole body all the time. He's a baby so he's used to it, and he's generally brave so I think he should get used to it soon.

Chiqui on the other hand... I think I'm intimidated because she is larger. So when I work with her I don't generally rub my hands all over her. I don't touch her everywhere like Loki, and her family before didn't either. They had her stand on their arm, and she's not used to a step up command, and doesn't prefer to stand on your hand. She's very friendly though so I think I can rectify my own mistakes over the next couple weeks. I asked her to let me handle her beak today while standing on a perch. She likes scratches but only under her terms so I wasn't able to handle her head, but was able to touch her sides. She is very treat motivated (Loki is NOT). She is not afraid of the harness at all. She wants to grab it with her feet. I left it hanging on a training perch outside her cage and walked away for something. Came back and she had it inside her cage. I have no idea how. So I moved it further away. I did touch her body and back with the harness, no issue at all.

So basically I have two polar opposites. It would be easier with Chiqui if I had been working on these issues already but I do think I'm intimidated by her beak. My CAG wasnt a really handle able bird and he kinda trained me.
Chiqui is smart and I keep explaining it to her. So hopefully we can get through it. :)

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
image_7.jpg

Loki (with some food on his beak)... Tolerating being that close...

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
image_8.jpg

Treat time

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
image_9.jpg

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
image_10.jpg

You'll see the guts of a palm type toy on the bottom of her cage... I never hear her doing this but she's slowly destroying the toy. :)

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
So Chiqui won't really let me touch her body on my terms. When I try to she reaches for my hand or fingers with her foot.

How do I work on this with her? She is not being UN cooperative she just isn't being totally cooperative.

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
Desensitization and training her to be more comfortable with you touching her would help her! :) The Aviator is supposed to come with a video on that, no?

OP
D

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I watched the video. Didn't help the issue I'm having with her.
Loki is basically to a T following the video.

Most Reactions