Still heartbroken....

Surfsidecary

Jul 12, 2023
Surfside Beach, Texas
Parrots
Conure
Finding a community of lovers of the Psitta feels like I have fallen onto a safe place. I am mourning the early death of my sweet and loving, dear GCC friend, Rio. His brave little life ended early at only 13 and a half years. One of the things he did which I found amusing, I should have seen as a warning and been more proactive. My attention to this could have saved his life. I am flooded with guilt.

After Rio's death, I locked up my home and ran to my mothers for a few nights of comfort and for a shoulder to cry on. When I returned home and opened the door, I realized the most stressful part of him being gone is not hearing his welcome call as I entered the front door. I am not ready to remove his cage. Some juvenile of me is hoping for him to come home.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome to the Forums. I'm glad you found us, but so very sorry it's under such difficult circumstances. You have indeed found a safe place, and there are so many here who have been in similar situation. We mourn the loss of our feathered kids, and we understand the pain, the empty feeling, and the deafening silence. Everyone chooses their own path in moving forward. There is no right or wrong, or set schedule for how long it should take to come to terms with such a loss. My sincerest condolences to you.

OP
Surfsidecary

Surfsidecary

Jul 12, 2023
Surfside Beach, Texas
Parrots
Conure
Welcome to the Forums. I'm glad you found us, but so very sorry it's under such difficult circumstances. You have indeed found a safe place, and there are so many here who have been in similar situation. We mourn the loss of our feathered kids, and we understand the pain, the empty feeling, and the deafening silence. Everyone chooses their own path in moving forward. There is no right or wrong, or set schedule for how long it should take to come to terms with such a loss. My sincerest condolences to you.
It's the sounds I am missing. Rio was a quiet little bird, yet I am realizing I listened for and heard him constantly. Little bells he was messing with as he tore up his newest toy, tapping on the bottom of his bath bowl, shredding paper or any woven anything, tossing away whatever fruit or vegging he decided he didn't want today, attempting to squeeze his body into the water dispenser (it was more fun to bathe here than in the provided bath), opening feed cage doors (I would identify and fasten with a carabiner or clip) then run from so I wouldn't know which it was that he had opened. I miss his "quiet" noises. My pups and fish are still making their noises but Rio's noises are ringing so loudly in my head, I can't hear anything else.

And I forgot my monthly jungle online delivery of bird toys. A shipment greeted me when I came home from Mom's yesterday. I'm cancelling auto-ship for all pet's needs, just in-case.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Finding a community of lovers of the Psitta feels like I have fallen onto a safe place. I am mourning the early death of my sweet and loving, dear GCC friend, Rio. His brave little life ended early at only 13 and a half years. One of the things he did which I found amusing, I should have seen as a warning and been more proactive. My attention to this could have saved his life. I am flooded with guilt.

After Rio's death, I locked up my home and ran to my mothers for a few nights of comfort and for a shoulder to cry on. When I returned home and opened the door, I realized the most stressful part of him being gone is not hearing his welcome call as I entered the front door. I am not ready to remove his cage. Some juvenile of me is hoping for him to come home.

Welcome to the forums, @Surfsidecary. I too am truly sorry for your loss, and you are most definitely among fellow travellers here who understand how deeply the passing of these precious feathered souls hurts. I lost my little "heart-and-soul" bird, a lorikeet called Lilly, way back in January 2022, and like you coming home to Rio, the sounds she made when we came home were some of the things that haunted me the most when she was gone. She would scream at the top of her little lungs to be let out of her cage the moment she heard our car in the driveway and when that sound was gone - oh I would sit in the car and cry and not want to come into the house at all. In fact I'm crying now just thinking about it.

The bonds of love that we share with our feather babies are unbreakable though, and I find at least some comfort in reminding myself that the pain of loss is worth it for all the joy and love we share with them while they're here. They do take an AWFULLY big chunk of our hearts with them when they pass however and you have my every sympathy. You will see Rio again at the Bridge, as we all will our lost loved ones some day 🙏🌈

OP
Surfsidecary

Surfsidecary

Jul 12, 2023
Surfside Beach, Texas
Parrots
Conure
Welcome to the forums, @Surfsidecary. I too am truly sorry for your loss, and you are most definitely among fellow travellers here who understand how deeply the passing of these precious feathered souls hurts. I lost my little "heart-and-soul" bird, a lorikeet called Lilly, way back in January 2022, and like you coming home to Rio, the sounds she made when we came home were some of the things that haunted me the most when she was gone. She would scream at the top of her little lungs to be let out of her cage the moment she heard our car in the driveway and when that sound was gone - oh I would sit in the car and cry and not want to come into the house at all. In fact I'm crying now just thinking about it.

The bonds of love that we share with our feather babies are unbreakable though, and I find at least some comfort in reminding myself that the pain of loss is worth it for all the joy and love we share with them while they're here. They do take an AWFULLY big chunk of our hearts with them when they pass however and you have my every sympathy. You will see Rio again at the Bridge, as we all will our lost loved ones some day 🙏🌈
LaManuka,
Thank you for the kind words. Reading your story of Lilly's welcome home calls does also remind me of my bond with Rio and brings a smile of fraternity. You have your feathered family and upright kin to love and keep you company. For each of us, there will never be another Lilly or Rio. We will never expect to replace them but you will enjoy your other feather kids when you will find moments where you can't stop laughing at the hilarity of an expression, the charm in the cuddle on your neck, the suspense in "WTH" you find in your chair, or the confusion in "where did I put that?", only to find it in their favorite hiding spot. These are our blessings.

Most Reactions