Still thinking of a grey

Pitsnherps

Apr 10, 2007
Alberta Canada
Parrots
No parrots right now
Hello im back I haven't posted for awhile.

I decided not to get a feather plucking bird for my first parrot.
Im still doing lots of research ect.

I think I have found a match though.
Its a 3 year old congo whos been hand raised and very social.
She does not pluck so thats a bonus.
Her name is samantha she comes with a very very large cage for 750.00

I have not met her yet so I cant exactly say that anything yet because I hope something mutal comes between us :)

She is right in my city but thats to bad Im not there but I will be going to meet heron June 7 or 10th when I get home.

If I like her and going to buy her we have worked a payment plan of 375.00 one payment then in 2 weeks 375.00 so Im not totally broke.

I just have a few questions still

Is it better to buy parrot food from the petstore or is there an internet site that sells better stuff?

What types of veggies and fruit should they have and how much?

Im hoping to put her cage in my bedroom and have a playstand in the living room is that sufficient?She would only be going into her cage if Im out for a few hours and at night time..

Is it good to have a cage cover at night time?
Thanks sorry for all the questions I just have been getting lots of different awnsers

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi there, great to see you again.

I get my petfood from a petstore as it sells the food I have, I have also bought from the Internet. If you are able to get the food she has from the petstore then get it from there. I'm not sure about the sites in Canada for food and toys but we have a few members from Canada who will be able to give you some good sites.

Fruit and veggies I give mine everyday they won't need much as most of it will end up on the floor of the cage anyway. :D They will eat almost any veggies, but please remember never give avocado or chocolate, they love the green leafy veggies corn peas etc. wont eat brocolli (this is my birds list) love fruit especially pomegranate

Yes the cage and playstand will be great, but they are gonna go on things that you don't want them too. A lot of toys is a great thing to have on hand, especially wood and acryllic, wood to destroy, in a matter of seconds, and they acryllic that they try to destroy but unsuccessful at doing :D

My birds hate being covered at night, so they don't get covered at all. If they will allow you to cover them without getting all stressed out and you would prefer to cover then that will be fine also.

Let us know how your visit goes, and thats great about the payment plan. Good Luck and I hope that everything goes great for you.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
That's great that you made the responsible decision and weighed all your options.

As far as food goes, it doesn't really matter whether it's from the pet store or the internet if it's the same brand. Personally, there is a website called Bird.com (which Tex introduced me too, thanks) and you can get some good quality bird food on there for lower prices. There is one called Beak Apetit that I would like to give my birds for their dinners, and no pet stores around here have it, so I'll be ordering it from there.

They can have a wide range of veggies & fruits. My fingers don't want to list them right now, but I will eventually, if noone else does.

I cover both of my birds, although I think that one of them doesn't like to be covered, so I'm going to quit doing that. It's really up to the preference of the bird. If you stay up late with your tv on, etc, then you might want to cover her/him

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Hello im back I haven't posted for awhile.

BTW, I must admit I was wondering what had happened to you. I figured that you had taken offense to our advice since it wasn't exactly encouraging you to get the bird.

I hope your continued bird search goes well and that you find the perfect one for you.

OP
Pitsnherps

Pitsnherps

Apr 10, 2007
Alberta Canada
Parrots
No parrots right now

I dont want to rush into anything because these birds are truely a lifetime commitment.

I heard cockatoos have more dust than greys?Is that true?
My dog sheds to bad so hes usually shaved and my dad is wanting to take Lucas our pitbull back to his house.
Anyway we were thinking of buying an air filiter or purdifier is it worth it?

As for perfumes,household sprays cleaning products I have heard that they are very sensitive to those types of smells?

Is there types of woods they should not be allowed to chew?

We have leather furniture at home Lol is that going to be a chew facture?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
these birds are truely a lifetime commitment.

Yes they really are, so well done to you for not wanting to rush it.
I heard cockatoos have more dust than greys?Is that true?
Yes, but greys have enough to keep your house nice and dusty. :D
Anyway we were thinking of buying an air filiter or purdifier is it worth it?
Yes worth it, but not a necessity
As for perfumes,household sprays cleaning products I have heard that they are very sensitive to those types of smells?
Yes try to keep all these sprays away from your new fid.
Is there types of woods they should not be allowed to chew?
If you have a lot of wood in your home then you may want to cover it. I had pine and everypiece had bite marks in it.
We have leather furniture at home Lol is that going to be a chew facture?
For a while yes, but you can cover it while the bird is out and everytime he goes to chew then tell him no, he'll soon get the idea that there are some things he isn't allowed. That won't stop him from trying though. :D

Not only are these birds smart, they are also con artists, they'll make you think they are doing one thing when in fact they are just trying to get their beak into it. :D :D Your gonna need eyes in the back of your head, but they are so much fun its all worth it, it really is.

OP
Pitsnherps

Pitsnherps

Apr 10, 2007
Alberta Canada
Parrots
No parrots right now
Hehe!Sounds fun Lol!

What type or brand model of air filiter would be best?

What type of cleaning products do you clean with?

I have reptiles and they are sensitive to so We try not to use alot of chemical sprays and not candle home.

Sorry for all the questions just want to be prepared.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hey never be sorry for asking questions, its far better to be prepared

What type of cleaning products do you clean with?
Vinegar and water solution. safe harmless and does the trick. Also should say that Teflon is not good with parrots either. As far as the filter/purifier are concerned I'm not sure which is the best brand, think its again a personal choice. I don't have one but I'm sure those who do will be along soon to let you know on that.

Hehe!Sounds fun Lol!
There are so many big don'ts that it seems sometimes a bit daunting, but honestly its not as bad as it seems and I'm sure everyone will agree with me here it really is a lot of fun.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I use Harrisons for my birds. You can only buy this at a store in Calgary and usually vets can order it for you. It's expensive but by far the best.

If you are ever going to Calgary, let me know there is a store you must visit if you have a parrot!!! :D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
I use a Nikken air purifier. It's GREAT, but really expensive. But I love it because it puts out the ions like a rain forest would have but NOT the ozone. That's what makes it so pricy, but it's a wonderful thing to have around.

My grey puts out very little dust compared to a too, but it's still there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts