Strange behavior after the death of a mate

skipi_sl

May 5, 2023
Parrots
Grasa, Joca and Bella
I had a pair of cockatiels that were together for almost 18 years. It was a great love, they were incredibly bonded.
She was often sick, this year at the end of February, unfortunately, she died. It was a big stress for him, I didn't want to get a new bird, but I had to do something (otherwise I'm away from home for a long time during the day) because he refused to eat, drink, constantly called her. Before I took her to be buried, I brought the body back to the room. He stopped calling her but didn't want to come closer (otherwise he always came when she was with me while I was giving her medicine). I bought another female and after he has company, he started eating, drinking and no longer calls his deceased partner. He's still depressed, calm, but what surprises me is how he doesn't react at all when I play a video with his girlfriend? Has anyone had similar experiences? In the first days, he was afraid of me, obviously because he saw me carrying her, carrying her cage. That almost complete lack of reaction when he hears her voice, why is he behaving like that? Sorry if I didn't explain well, English is not my first language

Attachments

• ceska2.jpg
    ceska2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 26

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
SOOOO sorry for your sweethearts.
I want to use that ha ha emoji as a crying emoji.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
SOOOO sorry for your sweethearts.
I want to use that ha ha emoji as a crying emoji.
Such a pretty couple! I think it's a good sign that he's eating and likes his new friend. Maybe he got closure seeing her body. Unfortunately we will never know what goes on in the minds of our birds. All that matters now is that he's doing well. Such a good idea to get him a new girlfriend. Happy they get along.

OP
S

skipi_sl

May 5, 2023
Parrots
Grasa, Joca and Bella
That's the picture of he and his deceased love. He eats and he is calming now but still depressed and sad. That's what confusing me- if he got his closure wouldn't be sad like this now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230506_020928_Viber.jpg
    Screenshot_20230506_020928_Viber.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 23

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That's the picture of he and his deceased love. He eats and he is calming now but still depressed and sad. That's what confusing me- if he got his closure wouldn't be sad like this now
I figured that was his deceased lady love. Pretty thing! I think that just like with people you need to give him time. You're doing everything you can and he is making progress. His new lady friend is a great distraction.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I figured that was his deceased lady love. Pretty thing! I think that just like with people you need to give him time. You're doing everything you can and he is making progress. His new lady friend is a great distraction.
In the meantime you should probably get him a check up with an avian vet. Make sure he's okay physically.

Most Reactions