Strange behavior

doakota1

Aug 21, 2013
upstate NY
Parrots
Lucy-Blue and Gold Macaw
and Ollie an 18yr old rescue Gray
Today when I got home from work my BG was acting real strange. I let her out of her cage and she was real aggressive. She got up on top of her cage and started acting real threatening I tried to reach up and get her and she started biting me hard, she has never acted like this. then she started jerking around like she was seeing something. I finally got her to step up and pet her, but i Had to be careful because if I moved to fast she would bite me. up until today she has become the most gentle bird. I could do anything with her and not worry about her biting me. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It might be her hormones right now, how old is she? Did you had her sexed?

OP
doakota1

doakota1

Aug 21, 2013
upstate NY
Parrots
Lucy-Blue and Gold Macaw
she was hatched March 26th of this year, and yes the breeder had her sexed

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
She's too young for the hormones yet. Then she's testing you or something you've done is upsetting her. How long have you had her?

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
My U2 was flipping out 2 yesterday and then again today. I don't know what state your in but here in PA it's been pretty temperate. Well after I calmed her down a few times I figured out what she spazzed out about. A gnat! She was even trying to fly to get away from this little thing u could hardly see. Maybe it's something like that and you couldn't see it or didn't notice it.

OP
doakota1

doakota1

Aug 21, 2013
upstate NY
Parrots
Lucy-Blue and Gold Macaw
She's too young for the hormones yet. Then she's testing you or something you've done is upsetting her. How long have you had her?

I have had her since Aug. 30th

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
She's growing up and testing you right now. You can use a training stick and place it on one side of her while you have your arm on the other side and she should stand up willingly. Have the stick with you at all times when you have her on you. If she nips, you must tell her no right away. Nip it in the butt right away. Use positive reinforcement by praising her if she's done something you asked her to do. Play games like peek-a-boo with her. She really needs this right now before she have you trained!

OP
doakota1

doakota1

Aug 21, 2013
upstate NY
Parrots
Lucy-Blue and Gold Macaw
its weird that she is doing this, I can put a harness on her without worrying about her biting, I can cover her whole head with my hand, just about do anything with her.

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
Maybe something spooked her while you were at work. Let us know if she acts better when you come home from work tomorrow.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Maybe something is in the air.

Today my daughter called me to tell me that Rio attacked her. She said she was walking to the the kitchen, she had to walk by Rio's cage (Rio was on top) Rio ran over jumped and landed on her and tried biting her. She screamed and knocked her off, then bent down and picked her up (brave girl) put Rio back on top of her cage. Rio is only just turning 8 months.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I would only suggest not letting her get on top of her cage by herself, and then see if she does it again. :)

OP
doakota1

doakota1

Aug 21, 2013
upstate NY
Parrots
Lucy-Blue and Gold Macaw
Today when I got home from work, she was her normal self, very loving and affectionate not even attempting to bite.she licked my fingers like always with no pressure at all.

Most Reactions

Latest posts