Strange feathers of loverbird

Wizo

Aug 10, 2023
Poland
Parrots
Loverbird
Hi im new on this forum. Today when i was playing with parrot i saw the strange feathers on his head which looks like roots. What is it? My pet have about 4/5 years. I will be thankful for all replies.

Attachments

• IMG_20230810_144012.jpg
    IMG_20230810_144012.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230810_144052.jpg
    IMG_20230810_144052.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi im new on this forum. Today when i was playing with parrot i saw the strange feathers on his head which looks like roots. My pet have about 4/5 years. I will be thankful for all replies.
Nothing to worry about there, they're new "pin" feathers that still have their keratin sheath attached. If birdie will allow you, you can gently break the sheath with your fingers, just like another bird would do for him, to remove the sheath from the new feather. And welcome to the forums to you and your little cutie - don't forget to tell us his name, will you? :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If you mean pin feathers, it's nothing wrong - these are just new feathers growing
Yp. Pin feathers. If you zoom in on the photos you posted you can see the beautiful detail of the feathers on his forehead- they are such wonderful structures!

OP
W

Wizo

Aug 10, 2023
Poland
Parrots
Loverbird
Nothing to worry about there, they're new "pin" feathers that still have their keratin sheath attached. If birdie will allow you, you can gently break the sheath with your fingers, just like another bird would do for him, to remove the sheath from the new feather. And welcome to the forums to you and your little cutie - don't forget to tell us his name, will you? :)
Ok i will try if my parrot allow me to do that. If you are curious my loverbird name is fig 🙂.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ok i will try if my parrot allow me to do that. If you are curious my loverbird name is fig 🙂.
Thank you! Fig is adorable 😍

Most Reactions