stroke? injured bird

hanesjenny

Apr 28, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Yellow naped Amazon.

RIP "Petey" my beautiful sun conure
Hello! I have a two year old sun conure named Petey. I've had Petey since Jan 2011, he's been my best friend. He's been vocal, active, friendly, playful. I have him on a seed/pellet diet (Ecotrition from Petsmart). I clip his wings though he doesn't have free range of the house. He mainly stays on his cages and perches. The door to his cage is almost always open. Starting in February this year, I noticed him not being very vocal, wanting to stay in his sleep hut. Took him to exotic DVM, and he tested positive for a bacterial/yeast infection. I've had him back 3 times, Petey's ataxia seemed to be getting worse to me. His chem panels and heavy metal all came back negative. Bacteria and Fungus are down. The last time I took him to the vet was a few weeks ago when I found him at the bottome of the cage, not using his right claw. DVM does not know what's going on with him. I just got him back yesterday. I'm thrilled to have him home with me.
I've done my own assessments on him, and truly believe he's either had a stroke in the past? or had a back injury. His lower back seems to be "hunched" alot of the time. He's very unsteady on his feet and doesn't like to ride my shoulder if I'm walking around. We have 3 kids ages 4, 8, and 10. And two golden retrievers, one being a puppy. Of course no one knows of any accident or injury that happened with my bird.
I had a cockatiel when I was younger, but that's the extent of my bird knowledge. Everything else is from reading online, and there's NO information on how to rehabilitate a crippled/injured/sick bird. I'd like to try to return him closer to his baseline. I've installed many more perches inside and on his cage. His feathers stay fluffed most of the time so I worry about him being in pain or unhappy. He does not pick himself or pull feathers. He was slightly anemic, so that may be the reason for the fluff? Do you have any advice on how to rehabilitate him? To help with his balance and strength? I'm adding vitamins to his food and give him as much extra "people" food as I can.
I am heartbroken over the loss of the way he used to be. He would love to take showers, dance, sing, cuddle, take naps with me, monkey around, etc. Any other advice? Can he live his whole life is this condition? I think he weighs 95 grams, so he still needs to gain..

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
First off, welcome to the forum.
Has he had any x-rays yet to see if there are any damaged bones? I would avoid playing with him too much if it seems like he is in pain. And you should get him on a pellet diet so he gets better nutrition unless you give him sprouts, beans, pastas, fruits and veggies. I would reccomend a good brand such as Harrison's, Roudybush or Zupreem. But I personally like Hagens because it is human grade pellets.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
My budgie Wonsy had two strokes, the last killed her. After her first though she did as you're describing, quietened down, fluffed up an awful lot. etc.

Have you mentioned your thoughts to the vet? I stupidly didn't take Wonsy to a vet, I thought she was just tired from getting two more new budgies and them 'keeping her up' or whatever. I really wish I had taken her to the vet and gotten the idea of a stroke across. I believe there is a shot they can give birds to help prevent any more blood clots etc. Almost like our warfrin :)

OP
H

hanesjenny

Apr 28, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Yellow naped Amazon.

Doc didn't want to do xrays, but since I've had him home, I can't imagine why he wouldn't have wanted to do one. His assistant said she didn't notice Petey not using his foot. How could she not? You would think a physical assessment would be the first thing they did. We had discussed xrays in the beginning when I thought it was metal poisoning. I won't be taking my bird back to them.
And if it was a broken foot, could they correct it when so much time has passed since the initial injury? And how do I know if he's suffering? The fluff and quietness? Thank you so much for taking the time to read my long post :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I would take him back to your Vet & ask about Paralysis Syndrome:- Thought to be associated with Vitamin E & selenium deficency. This form of malnutrition is related to intestinal damage caused by Giardia infection.
Or Hypocalcaemia, This condition is a deficency in Calcium & Vitamin D3.

OP
H

hanesjenny

Apr 28, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Yellow naped Amazon.

Update-last week I took him to Purdue university small animal & exotic pet hospital. They looked him over, reviewed all labs and spoke with the vet who had looked at him before. They deducted that Petey probably had encephalitis from the previous infections and gave him a steroid injection. That was on Wednesday. I had to work Thursday and Friday (12 hours) but my husband was home with the bird both days. When i got home Thursday, his feathers were smooth and he was moving around the cage just fine. I could not get the animal hospital to return my calls Friday, therefore could not get another steroid injection. I should have had my husband make the drive with the bird. I had made the agreement with them that I would pick up the injection and give it myself.
Petey got worse over the weekend (I kept him on my shoulder/in my shirt most of the weekend). He died Monday morning while I was at work. My husband called me, I was hysterical. I am an ICU RN so I couldn't exactly leave. I only had Petey two years or less but he was my best friend. He'd been sick for awhile, so I have been mourning him for much longer it seems. I am so heartbroken. I feel that it is all my fault. I kept taking him to the vet, paid close to $700 to the vet and $300 in making changes to his cage, the house (his environment).
I want to fill the emptiness in my house, but am afraid another bird will get sick. I had my heart set on having him forever!
Thanks for listening, thought I would update you.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
I'm so sorry you lost Petey:( You did all you could do for him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts