thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
I should probably splurge and get a DNA test done for both, but...

Scooter is a normal GCC.

Rosie is a pineapple GCC.

Pineapple males are, as I recall, said to be rarer, due to the genetic makeup. So I'm thinking Rosie is female... Scotter's 6 years old and has never laid an egg, so I'm suspecting he's male.

And I have these two paired, and both still remain bonded to me. Indeed, thanks to Scooter, I think that's helped Rosie open up, as Rosie sees Scooter perching onto my hand freely, taking treats, etc...

But here's the question:

I saw Rosie crawling on Scooter one day. Is it possible for a female to do that behavior?

Rather like this, except the color schemes are reversed for these two:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V04CWf-1Z3s]Green Cheek Conures mating.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

I should get DNA testing done, just to be sure... if I have one of each, I don't want them to make babies...

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
yes two females or two males can go through the whole breeding process minus actually getting chicks of course but they normally wont so I would say you have a female and male and if you separate them now it might not be too late to avoid getting babies I would separate them and have DNA tests done on both your birds.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you've not had the birds-n-bees discussion with them, it's probably way too late ! ! !

From my limited experience & what I've been told, if you have one of each gender and they are of the same specie or subspecie and they are interested in the furthering their species, eggs will most likely forth coming.

If you've already observed them practicing, I might just save the DNA $$$ because you should have irrefutable proof of gender in short order.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Honestly, with some of the medium and large parrots quirky breeding behaviors (breeding side by side vs the male mounting the hen), it wouldn't surprise me if a hen took on the role of a male.

Most Reactions