suicidal umbrella

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Gus and Gabby are a male and female umbrellas. I decided not to breed them, and so I never caged them together. Gus doesn't like leaving his cage, so everyday I open both cages and Gabby goes in and preens Gus.

I was gone for 3 days... my bird sitter asked if she should let Gabby out daily and I said "no, she's been a bit hormonal lately and I don't completely trust her at the moment. They can reach eachother through the bars and they should be fine until I get back"

I was wrong....

Apparently Gus just stopped eating completely....

I didn't do full physical checks on the birds until yesterday (I came home with the flu)

Gus was so thin that I didn't think he could possibly survive :(
I grabbed some formula one and electrovytes and called the vet...
He was very thin, but not due to an illness.... just starvation.

Today he has perked up and regained his strenth.... I have left Gabby out to go back and forth as she pleases, and Gus is happy and energetic, and eating like crazy.

To defend my bird sitter.... umbrellas don't eat much, and Gus loves to dump his bowls.... It would have been hard for her to see the difference.

I should have let her do EVERYTHING that I do daily... this could have been tragic.

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Well I'm glad he's gaining his weight back! And thank god it wasn't more tragic than it was!

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
a little off the topic but I would like the opinion of you, shredded oaks and anyone else with knowledge of this. My husband thinks I'm nuts but he is supportive of my decision to adopt another cockatoo. We are in the beginning stages of building an outdoor aviary. The U2 that we now live with is a male, my questions are...should I be looking for a female or another male? What happens if they don't like each other and does that happen often when adopting another bird? Should we bond with the new bird before we introduce him to Mi Amigo? The list of questions I have are pretty endless but I'll start there. Thanks for any feedback. I'm happy Gus is gonna be OK!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Im glad you caught it in time before anything happens to Gus. At least everything is good now! :)

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Gus looked dehydrated last night so I called my vet at home (I hate disturbing him at home, but I live in the middle of nowhere). He told me to give him some sub q fluids. He said unless there was anything else new, that I didn't need to bring him back in. I gave him 20cc of lactated ringers solution sub q, and he perked right back up again. He was such a champ.... poor guy got about 6 needle pricks for the fluids, and another for the baytril to stave of any resulting infections from being so thin. I was very greatful that my breeder friend has been so vigiliant in making me have all meds and supportive care equipment on hand. He is still in our hospital cage in quarantine it has a brooder top built onto it, and it's quiet and warm. I will continue to keep him there until he gains some more weight and I'm confident he won't get a chill from being so thin. I weighed him today and he is gaining back weight, and he is eating like a champ. I have continued the visits with Gabby so that he stays calm and content. I am also greatful that my vet and friend have taught me everything from sinus flushing, nebulizing, common drug uses and dosages, how to understand bird poop, the use of my microscope and how to identify common parasites, to sub q fluids and the 4 best places to give them... my vets are great and so understanding about how serious something could get before I could make it to the vet, and I owe them my grattitude for working with me to ensure that my birds safety, health and comfort come first. I am ashamed I didn't see this comming, and greatful that it wasn't worse...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Its wonderful to have vets and friends like that around. Unfortunately all the vets in my area would only tell you something if you bring them in and pay them for it...

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
Between my friend and myself he makes a lot of money... We bring in birds for surgeries, zinc testing, and to consult with him (or argue) if we are confronted with something new. But he is a little over an hour from my house, so if I call him for something serious or even something small, he is more than helpful. My horse vet is the same way, they let me handle most things on my own, and only see my animals if I insist that I am not sure what's wrong. I've been dealing with them both a long time now. There is nothing more useful than a good working relationshipe with your vet.

Last edited:

Most Reactions