Summer vacation - opinions please!

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
Hey guys,

My sister is having her first baby in July and I have arranged my summer vacation to co-incide with the birth of my niece or nephew so I can spend lots of time cuddling the baby and helping my sister - very excited!

But, what to do with the girls... my sister lives about 90 min from me. I have a great bird sitter who looks after Vino and Spot in my home when I go away over night or on weekends. But I don't want to leave them for potentially 7-10 days while i am with my sister and baby - they would miss me and I would miss them terribly! and Spot (who is a recovering plucker) would likely be completely bald when I got home.

Ideally, I'd like to take them with me. My dilemma is I can't seem to find travel cages for them that would a) fit in my car b) be large enough to keep them in for that period of time even though they would still have lots of out of cage time c) tall enough for Vino's long tail feathers d) doesn't cost an absolute fortune

I've shopped and shopped and just cant decide. At this point I am leaning towards dog crates fitted with perches/toys/food dishes etc.

please please help me make a decsion!!!!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Travel cages should be sparse, they are for travel, not living.....they're not birdy motels.....

Collapsible dog crates would work well for temporary caging away from home, but opened up, they are normally too large for the average vehicle, hence, you might need to think about travel cages and temp motel cages.....

Good luck.....

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
90 minutes is a pretty short drive.

I take Pixel with me when I go visit my family all the time. It's a 2.5 hour drive. I just have a cat carrier I keep her in with a towel on the bottom. She crawls under the towel and sleeps the whole drive. And then I have a second collapsible cage for her I take with me that I keep in the trunk and set up when I get there. I've never had any problems and Pixel doesn't seem to mind at all. :)

Most Reactions