Sun Conure and Parrotlet

Superxdude

Jul 31, 2013
South Korea
Parrots
Chopper - Sun Conure
How well would these get along?

We have Chopper (1 y/o Sun) and may adopt a 3 y/o Parrotlet...friends are moving back to the states and cannot bring their bird with them.

Separate cages i know, acclimation, supervision aside...would they generally get along?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
That's generally up to the birds. Parrotlets can have Napoleon complexes, and as such, may think they are bigger than the world! This kind of attitude can easily put them in harms way - especially with a larger parrot that could do serious damage to a smaller bird.

Conures may or may not get along with other birds. My first conure got along with cockatiels but did not get along with any other species, including other conures. My second conure got along with amazons (2 lilac crowns and possibly a yellow nape hybrid? - not my birds) but didn't get along with a ruby macaw (got the short end of the stick, and now requires beak trims for the rest of his life - macaw not mine), with my first conure nor with any of my other birds, including my third conure. My third conure, well, as far as I know, has never gotten along with any other birds in her short life thus far.

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
How well would these get along?

We have Chopper (1 y/o Sun) and may adopt a 3 y/o Parrotlet...friends are moving back to the states and cannot bring their bird with them.

Separate cages i know, acclimation, supervision aside...would they generally get along?

As with birds within the same species - they may or may not get along with other personalities. :(

A long time ago I had 2 parrotlets (rescues). Piri (18 months old) adored me and Piers (2 yrs) loathed me, but I got Piers for Piri for company. As they bonded, I went out and bought Rusty (6 months old) for myself. When he got hurt and spent a week at the vet, I got his cagemate Scooter (7 months old).

Both conures were jealous and fuming with rage, screaming at the top of their lungs, when I even went close to the parrotlets' cage to entertain them. I ultimately gave up the parrotlets for adoption (especially as Piri developed a plucking habit and I wasn't able to resolve the problem - much less intervene as the conures' jealousy only compounded matters. I know how loud they get in general, but this was much louder.)

I never gave them the chance to interact together outside their cages. Too risky.

Of my current fids, 2 are rescues. Scooter (now 7 years( gets along with Rosie (4 years) but Rosie and Rusty don't get along. Tybbi (estimated 7 or 8 years) gets along with none of the others and even displays "food aggression" against me (despite feeding her by hand, when I got her she was badly malnourished and had been abandoned and given to another person that brought the bird back)... I adore them all, but they pretty much do not get along. It's nothing less than a miracle that Scooter and Rosie get along.

OP
S

Superxdude

Jul 31, 2013
South Korea
Parrots
Chopper - Sun Conure
Thank you Thermo and Monica for the great advice. They decided against us for rehoming because we're only going to be in Korea for 5 more years.

Most Reactions

Latest posts