Sun Conure help

levi1306

Mar 26, 2013
I just recently got a Sun Conure named Tyson. I re homed him from a lady that could no longer have him. He is a year and half old. The first couple of days he would come and sit with us for like 20ish minutes. Now we have had him for like almost a week and he will only let us have him out not even ten minutes before wanting to go back to the cage. And only sometimes when we go to get hime from the cage he will get on your finger. I leave his cage door open whenever I am home. He will get on the play top every once and awhile. Any suggestion and help would greatly be appreciated!!!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Patience, he's still getting used to you and your house.....I don't know why some birds do that, but they may start out all friendly, then its like they say "hey, wait a minute, I don't know this place or these people, maybe I need to wait a bit."

Birds are not like puppies or kittens, some food & some petting is not going to win them over, but patience and consistency will.....

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patience, he's still getting used to you and your house.....I don't know why some birds do that, but they may start out all friendly, then its like they say "hey, wait a minute, I don't know this place or these people, maybe I need to wait a bit."

Birds are not like puppies or kittens, some food & some petting is not going to win them over, but patience and consistency will.....

When birds are moved they go through a honeymoon stage, once that is over the true them comes out. Taking advantage of the honeymoon stage is the best thing you can do as they are critical to accepting at this point.

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
Im having the same experience.Our sun is a rehome and 2yo and he came out yesterday no problem.Today he has been very skittish.I think he realized yesterday that his Mom wasnt here. I think it just takes time for them to feel secure.
I read another post that said they can get skittish when something new is brought into the room too.So maybe you moved furniture or have something in the room freaking him out a bit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts