Sun Conure Owner for a Month

bizlawcaleb

May 7, 2011
Chicago
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango
First Post! I had been looking at getting a parrot for about six months and I was trying to decide between a quaker and a cockatiel. It was my first bird and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. I Never wanted a conure because I had heard they were loud. Anyways, I was in my favorite pet store about a month ago and they had just gotten a sun conure back from an owner who was moving (not sure why they didn't just take him with). The bird was 10 years old, which made me nervous, but the price wasn't bad and I got the previous owner's $300 cage for free. So I got him. Still not sure why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. :p

Anyway, I absolutely love the little guy (his name is Mango). He seems to get a little more comfortable each day. I had a few comments, questions, and pictures and I was hoping to draw on some of the experience of people in the forum as to what if anything I can do to be a better bird owner.

1. The bird doesn't play with toys. You can see what I have hanging up. I have a couple more similar ones that I rotate in too. He doesn't seem bored, when I'm in the room he climbs around the walls of the cage and talks to me. He also makes trips to the food dish, but thats about it. I've never seen him on the rope walk and I've never seen him play with a single toy. They don't have any marks on them or anything. Is this normal, should I just keep trying different toys until he finds one he likes?

2. He also won't touch his cuttlebone or this calcium rock thing the pet store sold me. I'm worried that his beak is getting to long. Any thoughts on this?

3. He gets PISSED when I try to take him out of the cage, but once I get him out, he's happy as can be and loves getting petted and having his beak scratched. Is this a normal habit for a new bird that he'll get over with time?

4. On his head and neck, he gets these feathers that aren't soft like the rest of the down on his head and neck. They are stiff and resemble a regular feather shaft with no barbs. They are about twice as long as the down feather on the head and they go away after a few days. I give him a bath at least every other day so I don't think he's dirty. Is this a normal thing?

5. Lastly, I wanted to brag that I think I have the quietest sun conure in the world. The only time he regularly screams is when I take away his food bowl to clean it and give him new. He'll also let out a couple quick yells when I get home (I think it's just excitement). Other than that he rarely screams and when he does I just tell him in soft voice that he needs to talk and he'll quit screaming start chattering away.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any comments!

PICS!

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Mango is a beautiful bird! I was reading in Bird Talk that not all birds play... I forget what it said after that but I'll send the rest in a private message because I can't get to the mag. right now.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Every parrot is different. My amazon loves soft pine, but there was one wood toy that was in his cage for almost a month, and he never touched it. So I finally took it out. Maybe, like stated above, he just isn't a parrot that plays, but I would still offer him different things. There are lots of conure owners on this forum, I am sure they will all have some great ideas for you to try.

Good luck! What a cute little guy! ;)

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Parrots dont naturally play. Its something they have to be taught. Try playing with it, making it seems like the most amazing toy in the world. Then when he shows interest, dont give him it! Play with it more. The fact that he wont be able to have this amazing thing will make him want it more! It worked with my sun, Xander, who wouldnt touch his toy. Try making the rope perch go across the cage, not just along the side. I couldnt see any perches that went across the cage in the pictures. And also his beak looks fine. A little on the long side, but doesnt look like it will cause any problems. Just as long as you provide him things he can chew.

Continue to offer the cuttlebone and mineral block. Also is your bird on a pelleted diet? I would recommend a pelleted diet and a vet check up as soon as possible. The vet could rule anything out that might be ailing your parrot, and possibly be making him act this way with the cage thing. Also you could bribe him out of the cage. Get him to step up on your hand while its in the cage, use his favorite treat to make him step up. slowly move your hand out of the cage. If this doesnt work try making him step out of the cage on his own.

If you want to ask me anything dont hesitate to pm me :)

OP
B

bizlawcaleb

May 7, 2011
Chicago
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango
Thanks for the input. He is mostly on a pellet diet. Twice a week I'll give him a small handful of a seed mix food for a treat. He also likes apples and broccoli, so I give him that when he's out playing. I'm trying to introduce new fruits and vegs when I have the chance. I'll also try the toy playing game and see how it works.

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
My bird wont touch anything new unless hes sees it in my mouth first lol! Try showing him how yummy things are and then denying him the yummy thing. Kinda like with the toy! When he shows he really really wants it let him have some and eat with him. Birds are taught by other birds in the wild what is ok to eat and what is not. So YOU have to show him what is ok to eat and what is not. Just thought I'd let ya know that :)

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Parrots dont naturally play. Its something they have to be taught.

I don't think that is true. Parrots do play, they just might not play the way you think they would, and every parrot is different. My amazon was never taught to play, he just plays, and plays, and plays... and plays. LOL!

OP
B

bizlawcaleb

May 7, 2011
Chicago
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango
Well I went to the pet store today and got some more toys. I went some "puzzle" type toys that spin and are shiny since all I have in there now are the hanging rope toys.

I'm also really excited about a perch I bought today. It is a cement perch with a coarse texture that affixes to the cage bars. Mango has been on that thing all night shifting his weight around and rubbing his feet on the perch. Its the most content I've seen him in awhile and I finally got him off the dang cage bars! :D

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
be careful of coarse perches. They make be good for nail keeping but if your bird perches too often on it he can develop foot sores :(

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
My amazon LOVES his cement perch. He is sleeping on it as I type. I think by far it is his favorite roosting perch. You would think that he would be super uncomfortable, but nope. He also has a rope perch, and several different wood ones. He would rather be on the cement one.

Most Reactions