Sun Conure Puberty questions

Itsohkai

Jan 31, 2014
Parrots
Blaze ~ Sun Conure
I knew this time was coming, and oh boy, I wish it would just skip on by. Blaze (who will be 2 years old in July) has started to get a little bratty, which is kind of an understatement. I assume this is because of his hormones kicking in. Recently, he's been attempting to "hump" (for lack of a better word) my hand whenever he perches on me sometimes. He's gotten more bitey as well. Currently, it is just my mother, her dog, my cat, my bird, and myself all living under one roof, and Blaze is the only male around. Not that I really see that such different species makes that much of a difference, but I just wanted to put it out there. However, Blaze has grown so jealous of any man who enters the house. He seems to be tolerant of them at first, but the moment they get too close to me, he'll bite them. Example: When my long-distance boyfriend came to visit for the first time, Blaze ended up biting him 3 times and drew blood then he even turned to try and bite me.

I'm worried that he's starting to view me more as a mate than a caregiver, and that's not something I want. I've heard stories about a bird's personality changing drastically after becoming sexually mature. I suppose I'm afraid that Blaze won't go back to being the lovable, cuddly boy he used to be. Regardless, I'd still love him, but I sure hope some of you catch my drift.

1.) Approximately how long will this period of birdy puberty last?

2.) What can I do to discourage his sexual behavior? (I already just put him back in the cage whenever he tries anything.)

3.) Are there any good toys I can buy to, perhaps, keep him preoccupied and redirect all that energy?

4.) Is there anything else I should expect to happen?

If anyone could give me some answers, I'd be so grateful!

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
That's how Robin became at two. Braxy is acting like that now at 11 months! I hope someone with more experience weights in here!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I'm not an expert, so I can only tell what I've read to prepare for my gcc's turn to adulthood.
Extra bathing can help, it's relaxing. So if you bath him every few days or so, try once a day.

Stop all "cuddly" contact south of his neck. below that is considered flirting.

Period of time this could happen? Could be a few weeks, could be a few months.

Puberty hits most birds differently and to a degree, we have to adapt with it.

I'm not an expert again, Sun Conures are a little different to Green Cheeks, but you can make it though this. You are awesome, and he will chill out more once he gets to the other side of his hormones.
Smarter, more experienced people (with and without sun conures) will be here to help soon.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Caregiver, you are not! Your baby doesn't understand that! You are much more important to him! You are his mate, you need to divert the obvious!

Most Reactions

Latest posts