Sunny update! More photo spam!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The flock size you describe is breathtaking and hard to comprehend. The complex social structure of these cockatoos is amazing. That Sunny can integrate with the flock and still have an attachment to you is incredibly thought provoking.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
The flock size you describe is breathtaking and hard to comprehend. The complex social structure of these cockatoos is amazing. That Sunny can integrate with the flock and still have an attachment to you is incredibly thought provoking.

Hi Scott!
The size of the Corella flocks really are breathtaking! And also very noisy haha! I love watching them, especially when they are hanging around in the trees..literally hanging, upside down :D hearing and watching them go to bed at night is incredible.

Here are some photos from his evening tonight :)
4ZOzxYJ.jpg

kxzIopv.jpg

EvGQBMb.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I am overwhelmed by Sunshine's beauty and personality. That he is able to function in two worlds is remarkable. Please keep those awesome pics coming!!!!

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Sunny is having his first night away from home ! I usually put him to bed in his Aviary about 7pm after an hour of evening grazing in the paddocks and playing. But today I decided to get him back out at 7.30, knowing all the Corellas would be getting active for there evening feast, social time and drink before bed. After a short play with me off he soared over to the flocks, within 20 minutes the flock became a mass of a thousand birds, chatting away digging up the grass roots. I had no idea where he was, Just before dark I heard them all flying over the cottage, a sea of white in the sky, sqauwks of the hundreds. All heading to there sleeping trees just across the road. I’m sure I heard Sunny a couple of times, I called out to him so he could have the option to come back if he wanted. But alas I didn’t see him.
I hope he’s okay, and I hope he visits me in the morning to tell me all about his first sleepover.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

He did! He found me this morning, swooped down and told me all about his new friends. He stayed for a while insisting on playing on his back, or sitting on my hat as I walk about peering his big nose under the peak of the hat to peck at my nose. I had to pop out so he had an afternoon siesta in his aviary. Let him back out a couple of hours ago and now he is out somewhere in a massive storm that’s just come over..he is with the huge flock So I’m sure they’ll look after him.. I do worry!

Here he is just before the arriving storm you can see approaching.
Y6YQMCR.jpg

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I’m so glad he swooped in to update you! But now I’m worrying about him in the storm. I know you’ll keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hannah, I just LOVE this story!!! Sunny is SO lucky!! He has the BEST of both worlds! He can hang a play and fly with his brothers and sisters or he can come "home" to Mama for some TLC and special loveys,stay if he chooses or go back to the "gang" :D He is one very lucky 'too,and you're an exceptional parront!! Yes!!! More pictures please!!!!!

Jim

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Thanks for enjoying his story, he’s truely incredible.
So after the massive stormy night with huge claps and rumbles of thunder shaking through the valley and bouncing off the hills, Sunny found me this morning as I was feeding the brumbies. I heard a big flock fly overhead and called out to him in case he was with them, he flew a circle out of the flock, looked down at me doing his cute little chirp. I cried. He is magical, he is wild, he is free, he is happy. And yet he still loves me, moments later he came and kept me company for a while. I fed him some seed and apple, before he took of with his friends. Half an hour later he appeared again wanting strokes and kisses, he stuck around for a few hours until I have just now, encouraged him to join the flock resting and playing in the trees as I’ve got to go out all day so I don’t want him locked in the Aviary. Hopefully see him tonight, or tomorrow morning :)
UwlUhJM.jpg

Ou6g1NU.jpg

FQ6hPDl.jpg

zd5rN2a.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Hannah, you and Sunny are unlikely ambassadors, reflecting the best of your respective species!

Hard to imagine what runs through Sunny's mind. Call of the wild, and the continuous draw of his human friend. Are Little Corellas regional migrants or do they tend to live in a particular environment?

Thanks for posting images and keeping us updated!!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I love this story, you did/are doing something very, very special there.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Hi Scott!
Sunny is continuing to do well, still enjoying the best of both worlds!
He spends bed time away with the flocks, roosting in the trees. And then early hours of the morning, feeding, flying a playing with them.. until I get out the house and he spots me feeding the horses.. or sometimes he is sitting in his aviary waiting for me:eek: once he has found me in the morning I can’t get rid of him haha! He wants food and then lots of attention! He flys about following me and then has his morning/afternoon siesta in his aviary, some days he goes off at lunch time to join the others but he prefers to stay with me..
I encouraged him on the evenings to join his wild friends for their feast on the hill, then he goes off to roost with them.
His Aviary is always open now so he can come and go as he pleases.
I do worry sometimes that he isn’t being independent enough, but I must remind myself that he is still only young and relying on his mum for comfort and confidence, the other birds his age would probably still be following their mums about and occasionally being fed. So sunny has had to take quite a big leap in going off and with strange birds on on his own while his mum stays firmly on the ground! I’m sure once he gets a bit maturer and starts thinking about a mate he hopefully will spend less time with me.:white1:

bR2d5n1.jpg

4zJX0kj.jpg

F8qm0Go.jpg

9OGY7Ur.jpg

gwWi7FI.jpg

12AUEuQ.jpg

3RX5kxx.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thanks Hannah, always love your updates! Absolutely amazing to see Sunny thrive in two worlds. Will indeed be interesting to see the outcome as he matures. Seeing the large flocks is spectacular, as is his continued willingness to be handled.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
What an amazing story this is Hannah! Really,this could be made into a movie!
The pictures you take of Sunny and his/your surroundings are nothing less than breathtaking! I am in awe honestly!:D

Jim

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Well I hope that Sunny continues to bridge the worlds forever and ever. Why not? And in time, he’ll bring Mrs. Sunny and the babies to the aviary for a snack too! I’m sure that it’s wonderful that you want him to be a free bird, but I love this 50/50 routine. [emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts