Survey

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
Hello Everyone! If you wouldn't mind too much - I'd like to ask some questions and get some feedback! :)

1. What kind of food (pellets, seed, mix, etc) do you feed your conure & why did you choose that kind?
2. Do you use a bird perch in the shower?
3. Do you give Vitamins? (If not, why?) (If yes, what kind?)
4. Do you think that having 2 different types of birds (ie: 1 cockatiel & 1 conure) will have the same effect in the way they bond with the owner as if it were two of the same kind (ie: two cockatiels or two conures only).
5. Do you use any CDs and/or DVDs to "entertain" your bird(s) when you're away during the day? (If yes, which?)
6. Do you use a "sun lamp". Why or why not? If yes, what kind?

Thanks everyone! And happy Thursday! :greenyellow:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
1. What kind of food (pellets, seed, mix, etc) do you feed your conure & why did you choose that kind?
I feed our conure zupreme fruit pellets, although it has been a fight to get him to eat them, he is almost 5 years old and has always been fed seed. Unless it's seed or deep fried, he doesn't really want to eat it, although I did get him to pick at some potato the other night, yay!

I have a shower perch but it's still in storage, so our conure hangs out on the curtain rod and our alex likes to sit on this acrylic bar that is built into the shower.

No, I just try to feed a balanced diet of pellets, seeds and plenty of veggies and fruit.

4. Do you think that having 2 different types of birds (ie: 1 cockatiel & 1 conure) will have the same effect in the way they bond with the owner as if it were two of the same kind (ie: two cockatiels or two conures only).
It shouldn't make that much of a difference if you have two birds unless you plan on keeping them in the same cage, just be sure you have enough time to give them both plenty of attention. I would personally recommend starting out with just one and forming a bond with him/her first before adding another bird.

5. Do you use any CDs and/or DVDs to "entertain" your bird(s) when you're away during the day? (If yes, which?)
I'm almost always home with the birds but if I do have to leave the house I will turn on a movie for them, usually something meant for kids to avoid any swearing birdies and they seem to like the colors found in most cartoons.

I do not but I do want to buy some asap. Now that it's too cold here(pennsylvania) to take the birds out for their sunlight I really want to get some artificial light in here for them.

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
I use cockatiel size Zupreem pellets because they are a pelleted diet and one of the top brands. The stores near me don't carry Harrisons or Volkmans, but those are good ones too.

No, I have glass doors rather than a shower curtain, so my birds like to sit on the handle/railing on the glass door inside the shower.

No, maybe I should though? I try to provide different vitamins and minerals with fruits and veggies.

No I think it does make a difference. The birds I have that are not the same species don't get along as well and aren't as attached to each other as the birds that are the same species. Ex: My cockatiels and budgies don't really interact much, when I used to have a parrotlet, none of my birds got along with him (he was very aggressive). On the other hand, my two budgies are inseparable even though they are both female, as are my cockatiels (male and female).

Nope, if I had one bird I would probably leave the radio on, but they all have each other and they are bonded pairs.

No, not sure what that is... is that like a heat lamp? I don't use artificial light on my birds. They are in an area where there is good natural lighting from all sides, and they are upstairs in the winter because it's warmer. Our house is pretty warm. I didn't think they needed any type of artificial light.. someone please tell me if I am wrong!!

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
1. I'm using various kinds of pellets and crushed Nutraberries as I'm working to improve the diet of my older bird who has been notorious about refusing to eat anything except seed. Addicted before I got her and I'm finally having a little bit of success in converting.

2. No bird perch in the shower. The shower freaks Tootsie out. I used to shower with my Senegal and had a textured rail that was great for her to perch on.

3. For vitamins I'm using red palm oil. Also supplementing with Avi Bird Builder in the water.

4. I've not had two birds of different species at the same time except for budgies and Tootsie. Currently two Blue Crowns. Tootsie is well bonded to me in a 13 year plus relationship. The new one, Rosa, would rather not have much to do with me but I think I am making slow progress developing a relationship with him/her. I don't think that Rosa ever had a close human companion.

5. My birds listen to the radio during the day. After the violent reaction Rosa had to hearing a recording of herself the other day I would be extremely hesitant about playing bird sounds to her.

6. I use a full spectrum floor lamp that I got when I was living in Duluth, Minnesota. I got it for myself to help combat any depression that might develop because of the short winter days. There it was a good bird lamp and a good me lamp. Since I moved to Florida I use it for the birds because I don't have the best of natural lighting in my place. BlueMax is the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure

I feed ZuPreem. A veterinarian I respected and knew very well recommended it (though not in contrast to other great brands, just recommended it as a high quality and available food). Auggie loves it. I've tried giving him other brands, and he just wouldn't go for them.

I tried once - but I kept falling off!

I also tried to let Auggie use one, but he didn't seem that into it - two guys in the shower and all ... were buds, but that's pushing it. Also the one I got tended not to stick to the wall very well so I didn't trust it.

Nope. I've never had a need. On a decent diet they shouldn't be unnecessary unless there is some medical condition leading to a deficiency. It is possible to OD vitamins too. I'd recommend avoiding vitamin supplementation unless under the advice of a vet.

I have no experience here - but my suspicion is yes. Birds can bond to anything, and certainly another bird of any species is more like them than a human! That said, with good socialization it seems that this is not a substantial problem even with two of the same species. (Some species exceptions though such as love birds).

Nope. I used to let him watch Animal Planet - but I no longer have cable ... or a TV.

Nope. Unlike vitamins I don't know of any danger in this - except for the obvious care needed in placing it at a safe distance and with shade available. But like vitamins, I have not had any reason to use one.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I use Harrison's High Potentcy. I want my baby to have as much nutrition as he needs. I also like it because it's organic. I tried to eat organic as much as I can, and want the same for my baby.

No, but I'd like to get one. I just put him on my shoulder (with a bird necklace to hang on to me with) if he's going to shower too, or on the shower rod if he's not having a shower that day.

Puck has a slight potassium deficiency (no symptoms, just blood test results) so I try to give him foods with extra potassium in them. He was on a mostly seed diet before I got him. If the diet is good enough, supplements aren't really needed. I did buy some avicalm for him, to help him mellow out when he's in a bad mood, but I haven't used it yet.

I've had cockatiels, budgies, and turtle doves and a chicken at the same time. It didn't seem to negatively affect anything. They do often bond with each other too.

I either leave all my music on "random" on iTunes or play my "bird playlist" which has "Bird Songs From the Amazon Rainforest" on it a few times, mixed with some relaxing classical music, the Beatles, James Asher. His favorite is the bird songs, of couse.

I don't, but I'm planning on getting one. My apartment isn't very well lit, although I to take him outside.

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey

I tried once - but I kept falling off!

I also tried to let Auggie use one, but he didn't seem that into it - two guys in the shower and all ... were buds, but that's pushing it. QUOTE]

You made my day. This was laugh out loud funny! :D

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
1. 3. Do you give Vitamins? (If not, why?) (If yes, what kind?)
Puck has a slight potassium deficiency (no symptoms, just blood test results) so I try to give him foods with extra potassium in them. He was on a mostly seed diet before I got him. If the diet is good enough, supplements aren't really needed. I did buy some avicalm for him, to help him mellow out when he's in a bad mood, but I haven't used it yet.
Can you please tell me more about the avicalm?

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Hello Everyone! If you wouldn't mind too much - I'd like to ask some questions and get some feedback! :)

I use a mix of harrisons and roudybush. From my research and talking to the vet, these are two of the best, so I decided to use both. Neither one contains added sugar like some brands do. My vet advised against using pellets with added sugar (labeled as fructose/sucrose). Also various veggies/fruits/grains/pasta/etc everyday.

No, due to a physical promblem, (I wear a leg brace and when I take it off I can't stand) I only take tub baths.

Nope, as long as the diet you're feeding is good, and there are no health problems, I don't see a need for added vitamins.

I think the effect would be the same regardless if they were the same or different species.

I leave the tv on NickJr. No bad words I don't want repeated, nothing loud and scarey, and hey, maybe he will learn something if he hears/sees enough dora, yo gabba gabba, etc. lol

Yes, this one
Featherbrite Captial Universal Cagetop Light - FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING by MY SAFE BIRD STORE It has great health benefits. I have it on a timer.

Most Reactions