Sweeter and mushier than Peeps!

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
Happy Easter everyone! I volunteered to go in and take care of the critters, mainly so we could play uninterrupted :D My husband wanted to tag along and was thoroughly amused with how Rio and I play, so he took a few videos. Here is the big blue goofy pile of mushiness that is Rio :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3TIsKJg8E"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4cwtdb84a4"]YouTube[/ame]

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Your videos are set to private! :(

OP
OrnithAudrey

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
Oops, sorry! I'm horrible with this stuff. Let's try this again...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3TIsKJg8E"]More playtime with Rio - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4cwtdb84a4"]Playtime with Rio - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh! I'm melting over here!!!! :heart:

Thank you SO much for sharing!!! Rio is magnificent!!! :D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow! What a sweet and playful bird! I loved those videos! You can tell he's really enjoying his time with you.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Love it! Thanks for sharing:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Isn't it funny the way Hys bounce around like a caique?!

OP
OrnithAudrey

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots

I never thought about it, but it's definitely true! Do you know if hanging upside down is a Hy thing or just a Rio thing? I call him batbird cause he's upside down just as much as he's right side up! Loves to be swung up in the air while I'm holding him, is always swinging himself on toys, always wants me to flip him. Goofy bird. Tons of fun to play with.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I never thought about it, but it's definitely true! Do you know if hanging upside down is a Hy thing or just a Rio thing? I call him batbird cause he's upside down just as much as he's right side up! Loves to be swung up in the air while I'm holding him, is always swinging himself on toys, always wants to me flip him. Goofy bird. Tons of fun to play with.

YEAH. The "human swing" game. Used to play that one all the time with my friend's hys... Grab them by their feet, swing them upside down, and then swing them all the way up over your head...

None of my other macs "bounced" like that. Only the Hys. And you could get them to do it just by smacking the palm of your hand on the ground.

Most of my birds play upside down. Not just the macaws. My amazons and my CAG as well.

Now, I flip both Maggie and Sweepea over like that on my lap all the time. That's kind of a universal mush mac thing... (If he's not a mush mac, don't try this at home... he'll nail you.) But pretty much any mush mac does this stuff.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh that is really fun to watch. Kiinda how I play with Salty, except he does not like much to be on his back too long, though he is enjoying more now. Easy to kick him into amazon overload on his back. The hopping thing is really funny.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
WOW! Holy C***! Rio is stunning! and such a playful character!

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

I never thought about it, but it's definitely true! Do you know if hanging upside down is a Hy thing or just a Rio thing? I call him batbird cause he's upside down just as much as he's right side up! Loves to be swung up in the air while I'm holding him, is always swinging himself on toys, always wants me to flip him. Goofy bird. Tons of fun to play with.

I think a lot of birdies like the upside down thing. I know my 'zon does! She can be on her "carry-around stick,and I turn it 180 degrees so she is upside down,and she'll swing back and forth,opening up her arms and waving madly. Even when we shower, I can have her grab onto my fingers with her toes,and I swing her back and forth gently,while she opens her arms and flaps water all over the place. She loves doing that :rolleyes:

Jim

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
So cute! What a beautiful bird!

OP
OrnithAudrey

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
Yup, the swing game is exactly what we do! I guess the upside down thing is kinda new to me because all of my birds and every other bird I work with prefers right side up. I love when Rio goes into his hopping fits, which is pretty much all the time, and he loves a good dance party :D

Mar 11, 2016
Centennial, CO
Parrots
Morgan- (2) PGCC, Merlin- GCC (10 months), Chi-Chi-female Mustache Parakeet ( 11 months) , Teddy-Budgie (6 months)
I have never seen anything like that. How amazingly sweet! thank you!!!

Most Reactions