Taking Your Parrot Places

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I tend to agree, unfortunately. Have you had anyone randomly pat your belly yet?

Yes; but not since I have ACTUALLY been pregnant. You want awkward? Having to CONVINCE a stranger you are "just fat" WHILE THEY RUB YOUR BELLY.

Awkward, indeed. Lol! Ah, Dani, you're awesome. I almost choked on the water I was drinking with the unexpected laugh that just pulled out of me. I needed that. (The laughter, not the choking...) Thanks.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Unfortunately you will find that here as well.

Actually lol it's funny you mention outdoor Aviaries since I'm so excited to build mine; I know my wild birds will be much happier outside! But it's very frustrating. Here, the biggest problems in my mind are parrot mills and back yard breeders who don't bother to educate themselves. Let me link you an article I wrote on the homeless parrot problem here in the USA.

How to Save Unwanted Parrots ? Silver Sage Aviaries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha well there goes my evening when I get home! Think I may have to read through all of your website!

Wish over here places gave... info... of any kind... You're lucky to get a sentence on each of their species saying "they friendly!"

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Actually no. I believe she wasn't quite all there mentally because her reaction was indignation that I would deny it lol.

Ohhhhh well, I guess we just try to be compassionate then.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Unfortunately you will find that here as well.

Actually lol it's funny you mention outdoor Aviaries since I'm so excited to build mine; I know my wild birds will be much happier outside! But it's very frustrating. Here, the biggest problems in my mind are parrot mills and back yard breeders who don't bother to educate themselves. Let me link you an article I wrote on the homeless parrot problem here in the USA.

How to Save Unwanted Parrots ? Silver Sage Aviaries

haha well there goes my evening when I get home! Think I may have to read through all of your website!

Wish over here places gave... info... of any kind... You're lucky to get a sentence on each of their species saying "they friendly!"

Her website is fantastic. I reference it frequently. I wanted to do fresh sprouts but the internet made it VERY complicated. Soak this seed for 3.2 hours and that bean for 1.3 hours and then blah blah. It paralyzed me. Her directions were so simple that Bumble had fresh sprouts a few days later and almost always has them now.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Well I'm glad you like it! I'm actually quite frustrated with it at the moment because it isn't nearly where I want it to be. But I'm glad someone has been able to make use of it!

I was very frustrated myself when I went to start sprouting; all the websites I found seemed to be trying to sell me really expensive kits, or at the very least trying to make the process as complicated as possible.

I just want people to have access to info that makes sense. My current project (barely started) is to do a mutation series across species to show how the same genes effect different species of parrot. For example a blue Ringneck, white face cockatiel, and turquoise gcc are all actually just carrying the "blue" gene. Anyways, I'm just trying to get simple info out there but I never get things done as fast as I want to!

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
I've taken Sammy to our local pet shop where we got him, but I don't take him often at all because he goes off like a siren in there LOL. I think it's great to take them out except for restraunts and food stores for obvious reasons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Well I'm glad you like it! I'm actually quite frustrated with it at the moment because it isn't nearly where I want it to be. But I'm glad someone has been able to make use of it!

I was very frustrated myself when I went to start sprouting; all the websites I found seemed to be trying to sell me really expensive kits, or at the very least trying to make the process as complicated as possible.

I just want people to have access to info that makes sense. My current project (barely started) is to do a mutation series across species to show how the same genes effect different species of parrot. For example a blue Ringneck, white face cockatiel, and turquoise gcc are all actually just carrying the "blue" gene. Anyways, I'm just trying to get simple info out there but I never get things done as fast as I want to!

Well you should stop being so lazy and get to work on that. Slacker. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I know! I'm terrible!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Ok Inger, I made a new thread to help me stop slacking ;)

OP
K

Kelnivale

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks everyone, this thread has been very helpful! Sadly I asked 5 or 6 breeders if they would be willing to harness train the bird as a baby and they all said no. So I guess it will be up to me, when the time comes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Thanks everyone, this thread has been very helpful! Sadly I asked 5 or 6 breeders if they would be willing to harness train the bird as a baby and they all said no. So I guess it will be up to me, when the time comes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

how strange that they're not willing unless they don't know how to do it themselves. I'd ask any breeders if they know how to harness train or have ever trained a bird to use a harness. Just throw it in with the multitude of other questions. If they know how to then try offering some extra money for them to do it, and provide a harness for them to train with which you then take with you so your bird is used to that harness.

I plan on doing that if/when I decide to get a new bird

Most Reactions