Talk someone out of a macaw

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Yes I remember Kung Fu the series. Lets hope that all the Grasshoppers out there will become enlightened in regards to parrot ownership.

OP
A

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
I am very happy to say that this friend has decided it isn't the right time for a macaw in her family. She still loves them but she decided she needs much more research and time. A macaw may be the bird for them when the kids are older :)

Bird man oh that is kind of funny! Thank you everyone for your input. After telling her all the facts I made sure to tell her that if a macaw is still the parrot she really loves and wants that I would be there to help her.
Even though I'm still new to macAws (hands full) I know I can count on you guys great advice and my bird clubs advice and help also!! <3

OP
A

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
I think I've decided to write an info sheet about characteristics and what each species needs as a reference for new parrot owners in the club and in our Hawaii parrot Facebook group. We get a lot of questions about what kind of parrot people should get. maybe it will help but it will take a ton of research and work. :)
I'll probably be asking for help! ;)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am very happy to say that this friend has decided it isn't the right time for a macaw in her family. She still loves them but she decided she needs much more research and time. A macaw may be the bird for them when the kids are older :)

Bird man oh that is kind of funny! Thank you everyone for your input. After telling her all the facts I made sure to tell her that if a macaw is still the parrot she really loves and wants that I would be there to help her.
Even though I'm still new to macAws (hands full) I know I can count on you guys great advice and my bird clubs advice and help also!! <3

TEACH HER USING YOURS. SHE CAN GAIN EXPERIENCE BY YOU SHARING WHAT YOU DO IN RAISING YOUR BIRD, AND IN COMING OVER AND HAVING HANDS ON INTERACTION OVER TIME...

Then, by the time she's ready, and the kids are older, she'll be an old hand at this and simply know what to do, and how to do it.

Everyone thinks of macaws as these super difficult birds, but I find them to be quite easy... the only thing is the interaction factor with a big mac is very high, and not at all optional.

But I am assuming that if you get one, it's precisely BECAUSE YOU WANT that interaction factor...

OP
A

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
TEACH HER USING YOURS. SHE CAN GAIN EXPERIENCE BY YOU SHARING WHAT YOU DO IN RAISING YOUR BIRD, AND IN COMING OVER AND HAVING HANDS ON INTERACTION OVER TIME...

Then, by the time she's ready, and the kids are older, she'll be an old hand at this and simply know what to do, and how to do it.

Everyone thinks of macaws as these super difficult birds, but I find them to be quite easy... the only thing is the interaction factor with a big mac is very high, and not at all optional.

But I am assuming that if you get one, it's precisely BECAUSE YOU WANT that interaction factor...
That's what I plan to do. Hopefully she will come over and see him and play with him lots.
You would think but a lot of people here want a Big Mac and just leave it in a cage. I don't get it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You would think but a lot of people here want a Big Mac and just leave it in a cage. I don't get it.

Nope.

You got that backwards. You DO get it.

THEY DON'T!!!

The absolute worst thing you could do to one of these birds... These are very emotional, living things people, NOT household decor items!

I think some of that goes back to people not realizing just how personable, affectionate and trainable these birds are if you interact with them on that level...

BECAUSE THEY DON'T!!! or don't even realize it's possible, or won't put the time in to get there...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
These beautiful birds definitely aren't for "all" experienced bird people either. I've had parrots for 20+ years, and I know I'm not the right owner/home for a Macaw.

I still think there is a "macaw gene" and the birds themselves know which human has one and which one doesn't...

I honestly couldn't do without my big macs.

And when I was at the rescue, I pretty much loved all of them. Even the pure evil ones, like my Ruby...

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw

Nope.

You got that backwards. You DO get it.

THEY DON'T!!!

The absolute worst thing you could do to one of these birds... These are very emotional, living things people, NOT household decor items!

I think some of that goes back to people not realizing just how personable, affectionate and trainable these birds are if you interact with them on that level...

BECAUSE THEY DON'T!!! or don't even realize it's possible, or won't put the time in to get there...
AMEN !

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
GW Macaw, CAG, eclectus (Kiwi- RIP)
1. I also hate the starter bird concept.

2. If you have your heart set on a macaw, that's fine, I get it. Learn how to handle one, and train one safely before getting it. Otherwise, you may be setting yourself, your kids, and the bird up for a very unhappy situation.

3. Mine is just a baby. They don't stay like this. In a few months, this bird will be a tad more headstrong than he is now. Do you know how to deal with those issues? (Cuz if you back down, your bird won't. A headstrong macaw can take over a household. I've seen it happen.)

4. Caring for a macaw properly is generally a four hour a day job. That's 365 days per year, probably for the rest of your life. Not just when it's convenient for you. They don't take kindly to being ignored. In fact, they tend to get nippy when they don't get enough attention. And a bird that doesn't get handled DOES NOT stay tame.

5. You're taking on another toddler. This one never grows up or moves out.

6. Any kids in the house need to learn how to safely handle the bird as well. These birds can easily break and/or remove fingers... large macaw beaks and curious little hands are a very bad combination.

7. Expense. Not limited to the cost of the bird. He needs toys, perches, food, large cage, and a playstand, and will need periodic vet care. It isn't cheap.

8. Mess. Large bird = large mess.

9. Destruction - Your bird does not necessarily know the difference between a wooden chew toy, and your wooden door frames, furniture, etc. In fact, clothing is often seen as a chew/tug of war toy... these birds can bite zippers in half. Anything with buttons on them won't have them for long. Prepare for lots of shirts with holes in them...

10. Dominance issues. If that bird figures out that it can control you by intimidation - IT WILL!

11. Screaming issues - If that bird figures out it can get it's way by screaming - IT WILL!

12. Macaws get jealous... sometimes very jealous.

Those are the things that come off the top of my head...

Thanks for telling like it is, Birdman. The good, the bad and the ugly.
The enormous commitment one should be prepared for...but at the same time, the enormous paybacks and joy these awesome creatures can bring.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
I would be very blunt with your friend. First time bird owners do not need to get a Macaw as their first bird. She should stick with the Cockatiel first.

Mmmmm, I disagree with that as well. Macaws are big birds, yes, but
they have a unique gentle nature about them. They are very very smart birds.

What gets me is many people do not realize parrots ( raised in captivity or not) are wild animals. Just like a lion raised in captivity can be gentle and tame, and trained to your perfection. But it will always have the wild nature inside. Just as a parrot will. They are not domestic animals. Parrots seem that way and have the misconception of being domesticated, that's because they are observant towards the humans and do not always feel threaten by them. Therefore they inter act with humans.

I'll share an example; a few years back I had to visit south America for a company near Rio ( 100 miles or so up the coast) , for nearly 4 weeks,
to conduct retro fit parts for aircrafts.

I spent a lot of time eating outside in some of the shops out there, and was at a table out side when a macaw, wild, flew on down and landed in the chair across from me. It seen I had a sandwich and came half way across table and stopped. Looked at me then my sandwhich and made a whimpering, almost like asking type of tone. So I came half way to the middle of table and gave it a bite of my sandwhich. For the next few days this same macaw greeted me at the table. One the 4th or 5th day, it actually climbed up onto my arm. I was a bit nervous as it was a wild macaw, beautiful bird, but kept it away from face. it was so ever gentle.

My point is, there is no such thing as a starter bird, it boils down to research the species you wish to take on and realize this is a major commitment, and if you and your family are ready for the long term commitment. That's what's going to matter most, patience and understanding of the bird.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hawk, I so agree the concept of 'starter' bird. It is so obnoxious! Like, your first wife concept before you have ever been married! That throw away starter had as much love, hopes, and desires as that, oh wow, B&G Macaw! If you are able to devote the time,and are worthy, to the trophy bird/woman, then go for it! Don't practice on throwaways!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Not real fond of the trophy bird concept either...

That's really just not the attitude to take with a big mac.

There is so much to love about a mac... and so much time involved in raising one correctly, that it make them a PIA...

You don't just take it out to show it off for your friends, then put it back on a shelf in the cage... they pick up on that rather quickly. (If your friends wanna see something, watch this! My buddy here is about to scream... CHOMP!)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
The emotions of a Mac are off the chart . I was sick with the Flu a few months back. I could tell the change in BB> He seemed to understand there was something wrong and he needed to chill for a few days. This guy is not shy at all about demanding attention when he wants it. But for those few days he just watched me and relaxed.
They understand more than people realize. How anyone can look into a birds eyes and be mean to one is beyond my understanding

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
I spent a lot of time eating outside in some of the shops out there, and was at a table out side when a macaw, wild, flew on down and landed in the chair across from me. It seen I had a sandwich and came half way across table and stopped. Looked at me then my sandwhich and made a whimpering, almost like asking type of tone. So I came half way to the middle of table and gave it a bite of my sandwhich. For the next few days this same macaw greeted me at the table. One the 4th or 5th day, it actually climbed up onto my arm. I was a bit nervous as it was a wild macaw, beautiful bird, but kept it away from face. it was so ever gentle.

I think this interaction is just AWESOMELY AWESOME, it shows that just because it's a wild animal doesn't mean it's a savage and crazy creature that with attack without reason. You're so lucky to have that experience.

Some of these so called wild animals are more civilised then us humans.

Most Reactions

Latest posts