Talking parrots

genevieve

Jan 3, 2010
Northern Virginia
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot
So far, Alcatraz only says Meow and Hello. I'm not sure how he picked up meow... I guess he was listening to us talking to the cats. I figure that for a Meyer's Parrot, 2 words in 3 months is pretty good.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
That's great! Everybody here has such talented parrots.

I noticed that, the more often you say the word; the bird will learn even faster. I was so shocked when Pineapple started saying "What was that?" in a week!

I encourage you all to keep practicing those words!

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Jade is trying to say Hello and Perch (we think). Max hasn't tried to say anything - although I'd kind of like his first word to be "garrrrr" like a pirate. From what I've read, Alex's are supposed to be good talkers and he hasn't really made any attempt at all. Oh, well, talking isn't as important to me as him being sweet and happy.

We haven't worked on talking much with either of them. We've been focusing on general good bahavior - like no perching on the pan rack in the kitchen, staying off the ceiling fans, potty training, etc. We should probably spend a bit more time on the talking, I guess.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Jade is trying to say Hello and Perch (we think). Max hasn't tried to say anything - although I'd kind of like his first word to be "garrrrr" like a pirate. From what I've read, Alex's are supposed to be good talkers and he hasn't really made any attempt at all. Oh, well, talking isn't as important to me as him being sweet and happy.

We haven't worked on talking much with either of them. We've been focusing on general good bahavior - like no perching on the pan rack in the kitchen, staying off the ceiling fans, potty training, etc. We should probably spend a bit more time on the talking, I guess.

You guys are doing a great job with the birds keep it up.

A suggestion, whenever the birds are nearby, just keep talking.
No matter what you are doing. EG: When cleaning, say mommy's cleaning, running a tap say water. When sweeping, vacuuming or mopping, tell them what you are doing, they hear everything.
It will not happened overnight.
You will be amazed just how much they absorb, even though they are not talking yet. :D
When Mishka sees me moping, she says mommy's mopping, or sweeping she says mommy's cleaning.
When I sing, she says mommy's singing, and has started to sing happy birthday with me.

Just keep talking talking and talking

Last edited:

lzver

Mar 17, 2010
Media
Guelph, ON
Parrots
Lucy - Red-Bellied
Jessie - Senegal
I agree with antionette. Just keep talking to your birds and they'll pick something up. I talk to my birds all the time and most of the stuff they say they've gotten from me.

Just recently, whenever Jessie says 'Hi buddy', Lucy responds with 'Hi baby". They did it so many times today, that all three of us start laughing at the same time.

Today was a good bird day, because I got to spend all afternoon with them just hanging out.

Most Reactions