taming method

jared185

May 8, 2014
Ok so i know i have posted a ton on here and i am sorry to everyone about all the questions. I am just trying to learn how to best care for my budgie. but anyway i came across a thread on the internet saying that a good way to tame your budgie without causing to much stress is to get a small tent put it up in your living room and get your budgie take the top off the cage so hell come out on his own. and just sit in there together to show that you are not a predator. is this a good method to use or will it scare him to death and be counter productive....

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
So the point of that is just so you're in a small space and if he freaks it won't be hard to keep him somewhat under control. It works well but most people just do that method in the bathroom. With all mirrors covered of course, or a very small room:) I tamed my first budgie in my dorm room lol it was basically this method and we had no issue:)

OP
J

jared185

May 8, 2014
thanks for the reply ill try it but i was wondering how do you get your budgie back into the cage without grabbing and freaking him out

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
What I do to avoid that is he doesn't come out until he's comfortable on my finger. So I work on him being comfy with my hands in the cage and all that good stuff then once I can go and get him to step up rather comfortably then I take him to the small room and attempt to get him to let you take him out while on your finger. He'll usually jump back into the cage which is ok you don't wanna force him to do anything, when he's ready he'll come out on your finger, and when he's out on your finger he might trip and start flying around and when that happens he'll be comfortable with your hands so you can attempt to pick him up on your finger and as long as you start moving toward his open cage he more than likely will jump right in because that's his safe place. And if not then he's not yet comfortable enough with your hand to trust that he won't get hurt so then you go back to just having him step up to your hand in the cage til he's more comfortable with that. It's gonna take a while so don't get frustrated and don't force him to do anything that'll set you back in the process! If you do get frustrated do NOT yell or show any negative reaction towards him just get him back as safely as possible(usually just towel him gently and put him back) and get out of the room and calm yourself down and try again:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
One - you force your bird out of the cage, the only safety net it knows of
Two - you take the bird into a small room/tent that the bird is unfamiliar with
Three - the bird is in there with something (or rather, someone - a human) it fears

Does that sound like trust building to you?

Does the method work? Well, yes, it does... but at what cost to the bird? You force the bird to 'give up' so that it no longer tries to escape. It doesn't mean that your bird is no longer afraid, simply too exhausted to keep trying to get away.

This is what I wrote in your other thread....

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!

I no longer keep budgies, but when I last had a flock of 5, I started the taming process simply be feeding them by hand first thing in the morning. After they finished eating that food, I replaced the left-overs in their dishes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk"]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU"]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

With birds that aren't comfortable with you putting your hand into their cage, it may help to start out by putting millet against the outside of the cage, near a perch that they use frequently, and don't look at them directly. They can then eat the millet as they become accustomed to you. It may take a few days though before they are ok with this.

Most Reactions