temperature question

mcmalott

Sep 11, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Parrots
Vos Eclectus - male - Simon
YN Amazon - female - Lamont
What temperature is the room your Ekkie is housed in?

Do you use a heat lamp? If so, what type?

After a bath do you use a blow dryer on your Ekkie?

Thanks for you help!!!

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Hey, I always leave my heater on in the front room where he lives.

If he showers in the front room then I let him dry naturally. If he showers with Jack in the shower then we blow dry him SOMETIMES. Always be weary of Teflon! It's toxic so some hair dryers, straighteners and cooking equipment are dangerous.

Not that you will straighten his feathers lol, but just the room and stuff. Just a little info

OP
mcmalott

mcmalott

Sep 11, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Parrots
Vos Eclectus - male - Simon
YN Amazon - female - Lamont
oh I never thought about Teflon in a hair dryer!!!!!!!! i got rid of all of my teflon pans!!!!!!

I will check that out with the hair dryer - I think I might just go with the heat lamp :)

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Teflon can be a bugger, so I always like to remind people of hair dryers, they can be hidden in them :(

Hope you find a good solution, hope your well

X

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I have always heard that part of the benefit of a bird showering is the natural drying process. It is beneficial for the bird to dry, preen etc. That being said, make sure to allow the bird to shower early in the day so you do not put him to bed wet & get too cold. On another note, I often will worry about drying my hair around my bird because I do not know how to tell if a hair dryer has teflon in it. How do you figure that out?

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
Before we got ducted heating/cooling in our house i did blow dry pickle in winter. Because he loved it, and he never truly preened properly anyway AND it was freezing!
But now he dries by himself, because our house is usually an Ok temperature to let him dry in the sun in the summer or just with the heater on in winter :)

our house is generally between 18-25 degrees celcius at any time - lowest of 15 at night in winter and highest of 30 in summer with the heat/cooling working (because outside its much worse either way) XD

Ive never used a heat lamp or anything for him, and now with the proper ducted heat/cool system in I dont think i'll ever have to. :)

RisingSun

Feb 6, 2013
Florida
Parrots
cockatiel - Lucy; SI eclectus - Matisse
After Matisse gets his shower, I stick him on his java tree and roll him on up to the window to be dried by the sun. In winter the house stays at 69-73.

Most Reactions

Latest posts