Texas Tiels Thread.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Well folks, I guess there's not much point to posting updates around here if nobody is going to read them. It seems unless you have a sick or dying bird, no one is interested.

Awesome pics, glad the babies are thriving! Thanks for posting them! One way you can judge the popularity of a thread is viewing the number of replies and especially views on the main Cockatiel Forum page. (right side of screen) At this moment, 462 views and 19 replies. You can expect both numbers to increase over time, especially with baby pics!!

Two suggestions and alternatives. I can edit your thread title to state "with baby pics" or whatever you wish. We also have a sub-forum "Incredible Journeys, Bird Stories for Bird Lovers" filled with long running documentaries. Incredible Journeys; Bird Stories For Bird Lovers - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

If you prefer I can move the entire thread to that location. Totally your choice, just PM me if you'd like any changes. If not, carry on!!

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
13 cockatiels 2 sun conures
A photo update on Kiwi and Woody's babies.

All four are doing fine and growing. The last hatch is fast catching up to the first size wise!! Both parents are doing an excellent job of feeding these chicks as they eat three and four meals a day.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Their baby crests kill me. Like tiny Mohawks! They’re sooooooo cute. What will you do with them once they’re weaned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
Their baby crests kill me. Like tiny Mohawks! They’re sooooooo cute. What will you do with them once they’re weaned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how they turn out, we'll keep 1 or 2. We already have one sold and our avian vet what's to get back into cockatiels this time just for a pet. He use to have over 100 breeding pairs and sold them commercially in Florida!!! We have our fingers crossed at least one will look like Woody.:yellow1:

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Oh I love them! What precious little things. Their crests are hilariously cute!
Funny to think Percy and Pip looked like that :D

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
:yellow1:A page for Sunny:

This sweet little 7 month old hen was the second born from our first clutch last year. She hatched November 5th 2019 and this baby photo was taken November 15 2019. The adult picture is what she looks like now and was taken only last month.

Last edited:
OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
:white1:This one is for Hannah:

This is my little guy Buzz that reminds me of your Pip. Judging from your photos, I think they are pretty close to the same size as Buzz is not near the biggest of our flock. Once he get's old enough, we have two hens that perhaps one will take and interest in him.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
They look so cute and serious in that last picture :) !! adorable.

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
Baby update:

Tomorrow the wife and I will start hand feeding the chicks and giving Kiwi and Woody a much needed break. I have already handled them several times to get them use to human hands but haven't fed them yet.

This latest photo should tug a few heart strings. Just as I was about to give up taking another shot last night, a baby peeked out to see what was going on!:21:

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Baby update:

Tomorrow the wife and I will start hand feeding the chicks and giving Kiwi and Woody a much needed break. I have already handled them several times to get them use to human hands but haven't fed them yet.

This latest photo should tug a few heart strings. Just as I was about to give up taking another shot last night, a baby peeked out to see what was going on!:21:

Those are some adorable eyeballs peeking out :yellow1:

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
:eek:Babies first hand feeding.

Kiwi and Woody are now getting a much needed rest as we have taken over the feeding duties for the four chicks. I think perhaps poor Woody needed the rest more than Kiwi. I was sitting here at my desk earlier and heard that all to familiar sound that a male cockatiel makes when he's trying to mate!!! I turned around and sure enough! He's at it again! I could tell right off that Woody wanted NO part of it so we've already had to separate them.

Last edited:
OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
I guess what I've heard is true. Once a male cockatiel has there first clutch, they become breeders and this is a normal reaction. I know when Kiwi and Dacey had our first clutch and she passed, it didn't take him long at all to start following Woody around! We had to separate them for about 4 months because at the time, she wasn't old enough to breed.

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
The black sheep!

This is Tiki our first chick to hatch. She (or he ) is definitely odd bird out with it's coloring compared to the other three. It's feet are also dark and the others are all pink. About another week or so and we are anxious to see what this one is going to look like with more feathers. With it being a darker color, I'm all but convinced this will be a female. When they get older, we'll have all four DNA tested.

Last edited:
OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
TWO clowns on the wall!

Yes, I know this comedy team doesn't belong to the cockatiel family but around OUR house, they might as well be!. I'm watching the tiels during there free time out of cages and notice this pair fooling around on one of my wife's favorite wall hangings! :eek: I don't know about others, but our sun conure's and the tiels get along great!

I'll be posting more pics of the babies soon!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
TWO clowns on the wall!

Yes, I know this comedy team doesn't belong to the cockatiel family but around OUR house, they might as well be!. I'm watching the tiels during there free time out of cages and notice this pair fooling around on one of my wife's favorite wall hangings! :eek: I don't know about others, but our sun conure's and the tiels get along great!

I'll be posting more pics of the babies soon!

They're beautiful and part of your family, so why not?!

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
:50:Updated baby photos June 8 2020.

As you can see, our first born (Tiki) really stands out against the other three. I'm almost positive this will be a female due to the dark colors. She hatched May 11. The other three came over the next four days. When they feather out a little more, the ONLY way we'll be able to tell the two yellow one's apart is that one has a dark stripe on it's beak....the other one doesn't. I'm also staring to eye that baby too! I think in time, that's going to be a neat looking teil!

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;