Texas Tiels Thread.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
lol! Is Tiki the grey guy? If so, YES ha! It's like Game of Thrones (cockatiel style) lol!

Yes...Tiki is kinda the odd man out. He looks nothing like his other three clutch mates. Actually I wish SOMEONE with a lot more experience with different mutations could tell me how he (Tiki ) came to be. Kiwi, the dad was a pearl when he was young but now looks like a regular normal grey! Woody, the mother is a simple pied with dark grey and yellow feathers. As many of you have probably noticed, Peanut looks like a miniature version of his mother Woody!

pretty sure he likes her lol--humans, birds...same look ha!

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
FIRST of all I don't want anyone taking this as a complaint rather just very curious. It never ceases to amaze me when I look at this thread since I started it and note the number of views. What's frustrating is few (if any response.) If it were not for folks like noodles and a few moderators, there'd be no response at all! Are you guys REALLY that shy or just don't have anything to say? Heck, if nothing else, post about YOUR bird(s.) I can report that we are done to 13 tiels now. We sold one of the younger females from the last clutch yesterday. Even though we were in the early stages of teaching her to step up, this girl was tickled to death with this little pied female.

I read this thread pretty much daily, but never seem to have much time for posting. Reading the posts on here is what I do when I have a moment to breathe. I don’t always have enough time to contribute to discussions but I LOVE hearing about all your birds and seeing the photos. You have a very beautiful flock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
People like it, we just are in crazy-life-mode a lot and don't always comment. The threads that tend to get a lot of replies are those with life-of-death situations (just because at that point, it's like people feel compelled to help, even if they are busy--because it could save a life) but you are appreciated!

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
13 cockatiels 2 sun conures
The FIRST photo on the post is for Lumanuka. It was taken in a bird store last year ( where we got Buzz ) and was the VERY first time I had seen a Cockatoo up close and personal....let alone hold one! This female was a rescue and was about 20 years old. Her name was Helen and in MUCH better care from the owner of the bird store.

The second photo shows Matilda ( conked out ) and Tiki the dark male. All three of the youngsters we kept from the last clutch are doing well. They all step up well and Peanut is turning into another Buzz! :eek: He's a very active little guy and won't wait till it's his turn to be fed. He'll follow me around when I'm gathering food and water bowels and try his best to eat the left overs from others!

The last photo is actually about a year old but a favorite! It's PROOF that birds know what a photobomb is!!! That's Kiwi hogging the camera!:04:

Attachments

• Me and Helen 2019.jpg
    Me and Helen 2019.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Matilda and Tiki.jpg
    Matilda and Tiki.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Kiwi's photo bomb!.jpg
    Kiwi's photo bomb!.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 46

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thanx for the pic Tex, and love your T-shirt. No doubts at all about where your real birdie loyalties lie! And Kiwi's a very cute little photo-bomber for sure! :D

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
The FIRST photo on the post is for Lumanuka. It was taken in a bird store last year ( where we got Buzz ) and was the VERY first time I had seen a Cockatoo up close and personal....let alone hold one! This female was a rescue and was about 20 years old. Her name was Helen and in MUCH better care from the owner of the bird store.

The second photo shows Matilda ( conked out ) and Tiki the dark male. All three of the youngsters we kept from the last clutch are doing well. They all step up well and Peanut is turning into another Buzz! :eek: He's a very active little guy and won't wait till it's his turn to be fed. He'll follow me around when I'm gathering food and water bowels and try his best to eat the left overs from others!

The last photo is actually about a year old but a favorite! It's PROOF that birds know what a photobomb is!!! That's Kiwi hogging the camera!:04:

Love the photos, keep them coming! Please?

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
A few snaps from today of the crew hanging out at there favorite meeting place....On top of Peppers cage! :30:

Attachments

• Buzz, Sunny checking me out, Boo checking HER out!.jpg
    Buzz, Sunny checking me out, Boo checking HER out!.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Boo, Sunny, and Ziggy.jpg
    Boo, Sunny, and Ziggy.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 41

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Tha⁷nx for the pic Tex, and love your T-shirt. No doubts at all about where your real birdie loyalties lie! And Kiwi's a very cute little photo-bomber for sure! :D

Oh that shirt is the best ever!
The last picture with the cute little face just awww
Lamanuka you always make me laugh and wish we were neighbors

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
I sure wish SOMEBODY....anybody (else ) that liked birds would move close to me here in Texas. A parakeet got lose from some idiots car yesterday and flew out the window. They posted it on facebook and today everybody and there dog in Erath county called and texted me wanting to know if I had lost a bird!!! Guess I'm well known in these here parts!

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
As many of you know, besides an entire flock of cockatiels, we also have "The boys"! Two sun conures. Although there outnumbered 13 to 2, We try are very best to give the conures equal time for attention and play. While our two boys dont whistle or talk, I have always been curious about some of the sounds they make. I Googled it and it lead me right back to this very site! If any of you have ever been around sun conures, they make a clicking sound that's similar to fast kisses! Mine do it ALL the time and guess who else has picked up on this sound?......MANY of the male cockatiels!!!!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I’m sure you meant to attach a picture of the suns to that last post...hint hint

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
SUN CONURES AND A COCKATIEL!

These photos are about 6 months old and a visitor we had at the time besides "The boys" Rio and Cosmo. Most times when out daughter comes to stay for a holiday, she will bring Mango there male sun. As you can see sweet little ole Auzzie isn't afraid of a bunch of (sometimes) screaming suns! :eek:

25023d1601330989-texas-tiels-thread-mango-rio-cosmo-auzzie-tiel.jpg

25024d1601331030-texas-tiels-thread-20200928_163054.jpg

Attachments

• Mango, Rio, Cosmo, and Auzzie the tiel.jpg
    Mango, Rio, Cosmo, and Auzzie the tiel.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200928_163054.jpg
    20200928_163054.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots

These photos are about 6 months old and a visitor we had at the time besides "The boys" Rio and Cosmo. Most times when out daughter comes to stay for a holiday, she will bring Mango there male sun. As you can see sweet little ole Auzzie isn't afraid of a bunch of (sometimes) screaming suns! :eek:

Well I see this last post went over like a lead balloon. The usual response from the members I can COUNT on.....(THANKS GUYS!) I know this is a cockatiel forum so I guess I'll keep it at that. :15:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel

Well I see this last post went over like a lead balloon. The usual response from the members I can COUNT on.....(THANKS GUYS!) I know this is a cockatiel forum so I guess I'll keep it at that. :15:

I have a cockatiel in addition to suns - and I hope you’ll continue to include “the boys” in this thread :). I know that I don’t comment often enough, but I read this thread every day and your crew is a bright spot in my stressful days!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Enlarged the images, sometimes members just bypass smaller thumbnails. Really nice pics, consider posting them in the Conure Forum!

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
Jen, I know JUST what you mean about stressful workdays!!! With that said, I'd like to apologize to you and others.....I know there are days when I come off sounding testie and I don't mean too. Id just like to thank EVERYONE that keeps up with my thread. a footnote for "The Boys" Rio is doing just fine, it's Cosmo that's becoming a little turd and starting to act more like Kiwi.....( The big daddy cockatiel ) BOTH are hardheads when it comes to bedtime and going back in there cage. We finally broke down and had to wing clip the suns. It was to the point when one flew....the other one did! I'll admit, I HATE clipping ANY birds wings but sometimes you just do it for there own good and peace of mind. Two years ago I lost a favorite tiel out the back door because he could fly TOO good. It was all our fault and as everyone knows (hopefully) to be careful when opening doors to the outside and birds are free in the house. I learned that lesson the hard way!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
The suns are beautiful. I change my mind every day about which species is the most outrageously gorgeous, and they’re always in the rotation!

OP
T
Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
A SATURDAY UPDATE:

Tiki ( one of the male youngsters ) has really taken off with his whistling and babbling! He's making strong attempts to talk and even mimicking some sounds "The Boys" make!!! SPEAKING of the suns, I felt sorry for them and looking at there old ratty (badly torn up) toys they had so I went out and bought them a massive new one with bells, LARGE chunks of colored wood, ropes, and rawhide!!! As I'm typing this, there BOTH over there trying to figure out how to tear it up within 5 minutes of putting it in there cage!!!:eek: When I went into the pet store, I told the clerk I have two sun conures and did he have any bird toys made out of cinder blocks and steel that would last more than a day! :30: The teils are bad enough but they just don't have the beak size or pressure "The Boys" do!:rolleyes:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
lol- you buy it, they destroy it..or (even worse) ignore it lol!

Most Reactions

Latest posts