That makes me sad

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
This makes me very sad. Here I sit over here freezing my butt off with that extra cage in storage, Mihijo's cage, and Valentino being the only parrot here. I have to make sure he is happy with no other parrots here to help with companionship and that is a lot on me as I cannot be with him 24/7.

I want to take in another parrot that needs a home. If the parrot is unwanted, lost it's home for what ever reason, or what ever the circumstances are I want the second parrot to be one that needs a home. Because of the responsibility of this home being the parrots last home I will need to do the work to make sure it is a good fit and not take in a parrot that could not be happy here.

That is one of my fears is to take in a parrot that ends up being so unhappy here I would have to find it another home. This happened to me once and it took me over 6 months to make the decision to place my little friend. I got lucky and found him a home where he could be himself and not be afraid anymore. My little friend of 8 years didn't even miss me after he moved into his new home. As sad as that sounds I found great comfort that he was so happy and not miserable anymore living with me.

The people with the parrot who they decided was better to have put down instead of placing it just saddens me. Just like the story of the Green Wing macaw baby that was hit with a bat and had it's tail feathers pulled off because it was being vocal. These stories make me so sad and this time of the year is the worst for feeling sad.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Wow, sad just sad.

I am surprised that the vet agreed though. There is a recent situation here an owner with 2 birds a cockatoo and a ringneck, one flew into the others cage and the ringneck had their beak ripped off as well as multiple bite wounds and a maimed foot. The owners brought the bird to the vet but didn't want to pay so asked for it to be put down. Vet actually refused and had them sign over the bird to the sanctuary which she is the main vet for. The good news for this is the little ringneck has survived all her surgeries is learning how to eat and will be going to a foster home soon.

There is no reason for any pet to be put down if not health related.
There are always people looking for birds and rescues will take birds in as well.

That is incredible with the vet having the foresight to think of that. Kudos to her. Glad to hear that the ringneck is doing so well.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
All these nasty people makes me sick....When my dog Alexis got sick on Christmas day, I didn't sleep all night watching over her and called the vet first thing in the morning to make appointment for her to go in. We did NOT care about the cost as we only wanted her to get better. They're like our kids, why would you put your kids down when there's no need. I'm gonna end this here as it's bringing me to tears thinking about this as it is sickening....

OP
S

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
Sorry for making everyone else sad too.

I know that my mates boss is a pig farmer so slaughtering hundreds of animals is the norm to him, although at least the pigs are killed for a purpose.

So rest in peace my little friend who I never had the pleasure of meeting. I hope you bit your old owners plenty of times and hopefully you will reincarnate as a human born into wealth. Although I think I consider humans lower on the reincarnation scale than macaws because of the despicable things some of us do. Some day the earth will fight back and wipe us all out.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Wow, sad just sad.

I am surprised that the vet agreed though. There is a recent situation here an owner with 2 birds a cockatoo and a ringneck, one flew into the others cage and the ringneck had their beak ripped off as well as multiple bite wounds and a maimed foot. The owners brought the bird to the vet but didn't want to pay so asked for it to be put down. Vet actually refused and had them sign over the bird to the sanctuary which she is the main vet for. The good news for this is the little ringneck has survived all her surgeries is learning how to eat and will be going to a foster home soon.

There is no reason for any pet to be put down if not health related.
There are always people looking for birds and rescues will take birds in as well.

My cherry head came from a similar situation... he was attacked by a ferret, suffered multiple injuries (and I think brain damage as well, but never proved this), and the owners could not afford the vet bills, so wanted him put down. The vet ended up giving the bird to one of his employees who in turn gave the bird to a friend of hers. She (friend) kept Noel for about 5 years before I ended up with him. I wish I could have had him before he was ever attacked by a ferret, but that would have been before I ever got into birds, and potentially before I was even born!

Sorry for making everyone else sad too.

I know that my mates boss is a pig farmer so slaughtering hundreds of animals is the norm to him, although at least the pigs are killed for a purpose.

So rest in peace my little friend who I never had the pleasure of meeting. I hope you bit your old owners plenty of times and hopefully you will reincarnate as a human born into wealth. Although I think I consider humans lower on the reincarnation scale than macaws because of the despicable things some of us do. Some day the earth will fight back and wipe us all out.

It's a shame what they did. I don't agree with it either, unless the bird was in fact suffering medically. Such a waste of a precious life that didn't deserve that. I hope not to be around when we destroy the earth, but if we ever change how we care for the planet for the better, I wish to be there all the way.

OP
S

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
Well sorry to drag back an old post but I learnt more to this story that changes things somewhat.

It turns out that the owner of this bird is actually an avian vet so that suggests to me there must have been something medically wrong with the macaw.

Although I learnt this as I now have a macaw and my mate mentioned that his bosses wife was an avian vet and can come round and see my macaw if I have any problems.

Although as you can imagine this creates a predicament in my head as I can't decide whether to take up that offer or not.

I have a previous bad experience with a reptile vet where as my bearded dragon would have probably died if I was an idiot who done what he's told without question. I had two lizards at the vet and they needed some medicine. He weighed them both and worked out the quantity for the larger one. Then calculated the dose for the smaller one completely wrong. Just a basic ratio calculation.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
NEVER trust the vet 100%, do some research on your own with any suggestion the vet is making. Not saying not to bring them into the vet when it's needed, but just have some common sense. I always question my vet with anything they do to my animals. There's only been one vet lady at my clinic that made me mad when she accused us of clipping our cat's whiskers when he was young. He used to break them off and I don't know how he does it. He used to get into a lot of mischief so it can be anything. We would never do such a thing to them as we're not stupid what their whiskers are used for. We told her no we didn't do it, and her reply was well they don't just fall off on their own, I was on the edge of telling her off. At least I don't see her anymore....

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm at a loss for words as to why someone would put a perfectly healthy bird to sleep, without even trying to find it a new home.Heck, I bet even the local animal shelter would have taken the bird and made sure it found it's way to a specific avian rescue/sanctuary, if not directly to a new home. I think back to when my moms DYH broke her foot and it was recommended by her avian vet to put her down. My mom called every vet in town, avian or otherwise, until she found one (who didn't even normally take parrots) who would at least try (and he did a great job, not only did her injury heal fully, she was only left with a very minor limp). So many loving bird owners do EVERYTHING in their power to save their seriously injured or ill birds, and won't hear a word of it when the vet suggests putting them down for "convinence" or because the treatment is costly. To hear about a healthy bird being murdered because it was unwanted and the owner couldn't even bother to try and find it a new home is absolutely outraging. This act speaks volumes about the type of people they are.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
That's indeed tragic :(. Where I live slaughtering a dog as described would have been considered animal abuse and the shooter would have been criminally liable. And if the vet were truly concerned for the poor dog's best interest, he/she could have offered to stitch the wound free of charge. I only see blame here :(:mad:

Unfortunately in Australia it is still legal for farmers to shoot their animals. Dogs, cats, horses, sheep, cattle... even native animals. Farmers get away with a HECK of a lot here. I can understand why it is still legal for them, however there is a good majority of farmers who still do not care for ANY animal. Some are responsible... but others only see walking, eating, pooping dollar signs. And dogs are just tools. Normally tethered to drums in a barren yard until its time to work. :( I dare say even shooting was a mercy, a lot of farms dogs live a miserable life.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Just like doctors for ourselves, vets are people who know & think differently than each other. My vet is always willing to get a second opinion on serious matters. Like I do with my doctor, I listen to what the vet thinks, and research other options. Do not think your vet, or your doctor, is always right.

Most Reactions