The Art of Molting

ginagirl916

Aug 6, 2013
CT
Parrots
Female Parakeet- Skye
Male Parakeet- Tommy Pete
So how often should my budgie molt? I got her in april and she molted in the early summer. She is molting again. but this time I noticed a bald spot on her wing and she is losing a lot of big tail feathers. but its the bald spot that is concerning. Do you think something is wrong?

I also noticed another bald spot under her other wing that looked like it had some black spots. not sure if that is just her skin or something wrong. Should I call the vet and take her in?

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
So how often should my budgie molt? I got her in april and she molted in the early summer. She is molting again. but this time I noticed a bald spot on her wing and she is losing a lot of big tail feathers. but its the bald spot that is concerning. Do you think something is wrong?

I also noticed another bald spot under her other wing that looked like it had some black spots. not sure if that is just her skin or something wrong. Should I call the vet and take her in?

From my experience:

My budgies molted about every 6 months. I don't think something is wrong if they're growing back and are healthy (diet and overall health). Also, make sure they're actually molting and not plucking.

If you're really concerned then just call your vet and ask them.

Here's some information on molting, it's basically an FAQ on it. :)

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=35938

How often do budgies molt?

This is variable from one bird to another. Some birds molt once a year or every six months, while others seem like they never come out of a molt thus molting around every month or so. All baby budgies must go through a “baby molt” at around 12 weeks. This is the time when they lose their baby bars and begin to get that clear head cap. By watching your bird over an extended period of time, you can usually start taking note of their moulting schedule.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Do you have a photo of the spot on the wing?

Most Reactions