The busiest lovebird ever!!!!!!

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Hi there guys and gals,

I have a moment to introduce my lil gal who I bought on Sunday. My prac exams finish tomorrow so will be able to get back into routine and come onto my fav forum ever!

I would just like to ask for your patience as I think Hugo will be mentioned alot for a time but I have no doubt that I will soon be able to be on the forum and spend time with Rosie without thinking of him and comparing her to him.

I remember emailing Ant and saying that I would NEVER get another bird eva!!!!!! I was going to rather get a cat as I love animals and was so lonely. I then found out that my allergies flared up when around some cats so couldnt take the chance. I took the boarding girls to town and it was when I walked into my fav petshop - not the one I bought Hugo from!!!!! Lil Rosie was there and had just arrived from a breeder I know and who has a good reputation. It was love at first sight!!!!

I had lovebirds when I was in school and a young adult and they were amazing pets....full of life! I did the whole routine of settling her and leaving her to be but being in sight. Well!!!!! Rosie was demanding my attention by Sunday evening. She bites but not out of aggression but just because she doesnt know it hurts - there is no signs of aggression. She still needs to be taught how to step up. I have her on my shoulder and scoop her up if I need to move her.

She is the busiest bird I have ever seen.....she is everywhere - hahahaha. It is a lovely experience but also very sad. Its only now that I realise how sick Hugo was and how abused he must of been to be so sick and wild. I still have her on the seed mix and will change it gradually. I also need to sort out her perches and bowls.

She jumps from perch to perch and even though does not come to but sit near me she is keen to be around me and wants the company. Hahaha - she hates going to bed - she runs around her cage and tears up the newspaper. I have moved her to another section of my flat and am trying very hard not to spend all my time looking for signs of disease.

I miss Hugo very much but Rosie is so cute, I also need to shake the fear that she will get sick. Its so good to be back and being able to chat to you guys again....have missed you so much.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ecclipse you have done the correct thing getting another bird. You have so much love to go around, Rosie May is such a lucky bird.
onion049.gif

You are human, and going through certain motions, that is normal. In time, you will relax.
Rosie may looks so cute in your avatar picture. She sure is a busy body, jumping from perch to perch. She is already tearing up the newspaper, haha you go Rosie May, happy cleaning up mom.

bf9.gif
Please please send some pictures I can't wait any longer, Mishka is so curious what her "cousin" looks like.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Rosie sounds like she was hatched to be with your. Lovebirds are so pretty. Your fear of her getting ill is very real and understood. It will gradually fade as your life moves forward.
So happy your back with us where you and Rosie belong.

Last edited:

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Awww!! Rosie May sounds like such a sweet little girl. And from looking at your avatar, she looks really cute too.

Can't wait to see her! :D

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
I will upload photies asap. Hahahaha - the problem comes in because Im not quick enough to catch her on camera. She is so so busy and chatters away. Im very impressed with the way her wings have been trimmed. She is able to hop from perch to perch and get around without actually flying. I love having a small bird as I can mover her cage around with me which makes taming and bonding so much easier. I have opted not to take her to the vet for her routine purchasing check-up on the grounds that I wont be able to face walking into the vet clinic yet.

I cant say enough how good it is to chat to you all again. I cant wait for Rosie to get tame and start settling. She is doing very well as it isnt a week yet. I was scolded by someone I know because I got one and not two lovebirds. I was told that lovebirds need a mate and that it was cruel what I was doing. What do you guys think?

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
I have a lovebird without a mate and she is really sweet. They just become very bonded to you and will guard you as their mate. If they have a mate then they don't pay as much attention to you. Some people still say that you need to keep lovebirds as a pair but I don't, my mom didn't, and it is just a general misconception.

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Hi Chaos, thanks for the reassurance, I had lovebirds when I was in school and they became very tame but I began to doubt my choice of getting only one. Rosie is getting tamer and tamer each day.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I also need to shake the fear that she will get sick. .

I know this feeling. My CB conure passed away very young and very suddenly while I was on vacation. Due to my mistake of leaving him with the wrong care taker.

Now that I have Hiroshi I find myself with an occassional neurotic paranoia that he is going to die. I even call home to check on him if I am away for half a day. Something I've gotta shake...even still.

Lil Rosie May is adorable, I can't wait to see more pictures of her!:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I agree with Chaos, it is definitely a misconception. A few guardians I know, only have one lovebird, the birds are extremely happy, and so are the guardians. One has trained her bird to do the most amazing tricks.
Rosie May will have her "hands" full, she will never be bored or lonely, with you being her guardian, I know that for a fact. :rolleyes:

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Hi Beilana, thank you for sharing with me, its so heartbreaking when we loose a member of the family. Hiroshi is stunning!!!! Im relieved that its ok to have one lovebird, my confidence has taken a lil knock so will be asking for reasurrance often. I cant wait until Rosie has bonded more with me more...good times! :) :)

Hey Ant, got the giggles when I remembered the ants and vaseline - hahaha. Thanks for the reassurance as well! :)

Most Reactions