The conure goes camping?

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Dusky Conure, "Wynnie" (RIP little Wynnie girl)
We are going on our first camping trip *since acquiring the birdie* next month and planning to take Wynnie the dusky conure with us. We have only had her for a month. We camp in an RV (fifth wheel) and will have our two dogs with us, also.

Any thoughts?

We already have a carrier for her, the kind that looks like luggage and has a shoulder strap. It will only be a couple of hours driving because we are going to a lake park that is about 100 miles from here.

Looking at getting a dedicated cage to live on the RV. Smaller but otherwise similar to her current one. The one I am looking at is 20 x 20 x 57 although height may be including the stand. It will stay on the RV so it needs to be big enough for her to be comfortable for a couple of weeks, but not so large that it takes up the whole rig . I have heard/read that some birds do not adjust well to new cages. Will it help if I bring some of the toys from her cage at home rather than putting all new cages and perches, etc.?

Harness? Apparently this takes some training, but we are thinking about it.
On the other hand, is it a good idea to have her outside with us on a harness in a campground. I am worried about mosquitoes, first of all, and also predators that might swoop down on her. Owls and other predatory birds are abundant. (I think I just on answered my own question!).

A table top cage for outside? Again, worried about mosquitoes. Anyone put a mosquito net over cage?

Any suggestions, experiences will be so appreciated!

DustytheDusky

Mar 9, 2014
Upstate New York
Parrots
Dusty the Dusky Conure
I used to take my Dusky, Dusty camping when my family owned an RV. He LOVED IT.
I bought a small travel cage for him, which he only slept in. During the day as long as the weather permitted, he was outside with me. I have a harness for him. He hates the harness in generally but once he realizes he is going outside he forgets about and starts chirping up a storm.

OP
I

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
So you were not worried about hawks, owls, etc.?
I live in a hot, humid, tropical climate and mosquitoes are everywhere already--I cannot walk from my car to my back door. I had to drench myself in repellent today just to walk in my backyard to tidy up for 10 minutes. And we do have West Nile and some other viruses, not sure birdie would be susceptible to all of them. She has a vet appt next week so I am going to run it by them also...
I saw a harness called Aviator, it is reasonably priced considering I may never use it. I guess we might use it other places, even if it is not suitable for camping around here. I like hearing that some birdies might take to it when they realize that's the ticket to going with mama and daddy.

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
Cockatiel - Sunshine - 1990-2014; YSGC Conure - Jellybean - 11 months; Turquoise GC Conure - Jasper - Hatched 1/14
We also camp frequently with our birds and they love it! The first time, we got the biggest "little" cages we could so they'd be comfortable in the camper. We replaced all the perches with their perches from home and took along all their toys.

Some things I worry about: 1) Them not drinking if the water tastes different - I always bring along bottled water just for them. 2) Hawks, dogs, etc. in the campground - I just throw a beach towel over the cages &/or keep them under the awning. Of course outside they are never allowed out of the cage and one of us is with them at all times. 3) Temperature changes - We camp in high altitude areas which get really chilly at night, even in the middle of summer, but pretty hot in the day. We try to set up camp to take advantage of morning sun & afternoon shade, to naturally warm/cool the camper. We usually don't have hook ups, & I hate running the generator!

There's probably more I'm forgetting about, but those are the biggies for us. Good luck & have fun if you decide to give it a try! :)

OP
I

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Thanks everyone! I ordered a smaller cage today and a stand--hoping it will be easy to move. I wanted a cage that can be carried outside to sit with us but still be tall and not take up table space.
We are going to try it out here in the house with her familiar toys and sleeping hut, etc., and see how she adapts to it.
The next mission is some kind of mosquito cover for it.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I would worry more about the dogs and bird being in an enclosed area than I would the local wildlife. Wynnie can just be in a small travel cage outdoors. And many parrots enjoy hanging out with their families and seeing the wider world. It's a good thing to get them used to and its mentally stimulating. Still, I would not leave her alone with the dogs for a second unless the dogs are kenneled. Even nice dogs who are well trained do things sometimes when out of their elements.

OP
I

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
@Kiwi: oh yes, the dogs are kenneled when we are not there (if we go out for a hike or whatever, and don't take them with us)! They will never be unsupervised together.

The cage I got for the RV is small enough to pick up off the stand and carry outside to put on a table if we are just sitting around. It is definitely too small for a permanent cage, but I hope it will be okay for short trips. It is 18x 18 x27 and it comes with a stand. I am going to look for a mosquito net to put over it also. I think I am off the idea of a harness bc of the predatory birds and also the mosquitoes. However, I am looking at a little backpack for her. I think this would be handy for camping but also for walking in the neighborhood when I walk the dogs.

It's funny, a month or so ago, I offered to take this bird but I was not keen on it. Now, I think I will be devastated if her original owner is able to take her back (the original plan).

Most Reactions

Latest posts